• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor hutches for 2 mini lops

Tommorang

New Kit
I am looking at getting 2 mini lops or 2 Netherland dwarfs. I am thinking of getting a 140 cage and a large run inside but am unsure whether a bigger cage would be better for 2. I am also thinking of getting them sprayed but am unsure how much this could cost. Thanks for all the help.

Hello and welcome :)

Commercial cages are, unfortunately, never big enough for any rabbit :( If you are keeping them indoors, would it be possible to bunny proof a room for them to live in?

If you get your bunnies from a rescue they will already be spayed/neutered, bonded and vaccinated, much cheaper in the long run :)

As lily has said really.

I've got a dwarf lop and a mini lop :)

They have their own bedroom which is 100sqft, and run of the house during the day.

de09b4b16f2cc38686e579028a30920d.jpg

c34f3571153834db9441a63d582d9e9f.jpg

Daphne used to live in the front room, in a commercial indoor cage when she was around 8 weeks and still undergoing her chew training - I hated having her in it as she was ALWAYS desperate to get out.

Here you can see about 1/2 the cage

9103d698367bad9c2023f51b1eb01930.jpg

We then bonded her with Phoebe and they had a set up in the front room which met the 60sqft recommendation.

fe7d5e1b044fef0afee3fe495e4a8d60.jpg

But that was awkward and took up the whole front room so that's why they moved into the other room.

If you're unable to provide their own room I recommend sectioning off at least 60sqft of a room using puppy pens, or have a "den" such as a 6ft x 2ft hutch that never gets shut and make them completely free roam.

You could also look at Manor Pet Housing or Boyles Pet Housing for a bespoke made indoor house for them that makes the 60sqft (if you want something prettier than the puppy pens).

The only reason we don't free roam these two all the time is because we have other pets that are active at night and we don't want any accidents between the three species.

My two girls - any excuse to show them off lol

346493160472b48a3b19eaeefe7dd1c2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Lovely photos dp :) x

Welcome to the forum Tommorang :wave:

Two of our rabbits live indoors and have their own bunny proof room (well its my dd's bedroom but they have kind of taken over :)). We have a cage in the room (a 160) but it's left open permanently and just has litter trays etc in.

As others have said, have you looked into rescuing as they will already have been spayed?

Good luck, you will find lots of useful advice here x

So if i put a puppy pen in the back room and put a cage inside and leave the cage open would they have enough room? I have looked at adopting and would love to but there just aren't many places to adopt from nearby. I am looking for a small breed and am also wondering whether the mini lop and the Netherlands dwarf are the best or whether there are better breads. Thanks for all the help.

There is a " Sticky" indoor housing section [emoji6]
But to answer your question, we have used a puppy pens and a dog cage combination to create our buns living space.
As to what " breed" it is not something we are particularly concerned about. Check out your local rescue to see what they have available

So if i put a puppy pen in the back room and put a cage inside and leave the cage open would they have enough room? I have looked at adopting and would love to but there just aren't many places to adopt from nearby. I am looking for a small breed and am also wondering whether the mini lop and the Netherlands dwarf are the best or whether there are better breads. Thanks for all the help.

Where abouts do you live?

I think it would depend on the size of the room, we've used some panels but they are just around the edges of the room and they still have the full space. My dd has a cabin bed, so there's no bed taking up space. But yes, in theory you could create something if there is areas you don't want them to get to, as long as they have enough space.

Have you looked for a rescue further afield? You may not be aware that some will rehome a fair distance away. We got our latest addition from a rescue that is just over an hour away. It probably seems like we are pushing you to rescue, but there really are so many lovely buns looking for homes, who deserve that second chance. Our recent addition from rescue is a lovely Dutch bunny :) x

Hi thanks all for the wonderful advise I'm very great full. Today I went to a rspca rescue home and i fell in love with a mixed breed male. He isn't dwarf or mini but he is so sweet. I have reserved him and will collect him next weekend can't wait.Also surprisingly they recommend for him to be on his own. Got some great advice from them too saying that the bigger the better cage and putting him in a run inside is a great idea. Thanks for all the wonderful help and I'm sure i will be back for any more queries.

Hi thanks all for the wonderful advise I'm very great full. Today I went to a rspca rescue home and i fell in love with a mixed breed male. He isn't dwarf or mini but he is so sweet. I have reserved him and will collect him next weekend can't wait.Also surprisingly they recommend for him to be on his own. Got some great advice from them too saying that the bigger the better cage and putting him in a run inside is a great idea. Thanks for all the wonderful help and I'm sure i will be back for any more queries.

Did they say why?

I am looking at getting 2 mini lops or 2 Netherland dwarfs. I am thinking of getting a 140 cage and a large run inside but am unsure whether a bigger cage would be better for 2. I am also thinking of getting them sprayed but am unsure how much this could cost. Thanks for all the help.

Welcome to the forum :wave:

As lily has said really.

I've got a dwarf lop and a mini lop :)

They have their own bedroom which is 100sqft, and run of the house during the day.

de09b4b16f2cc38686e579028a30920d.jpg

c34f3571153834db9441a63d582d9e9f.jpg

Daphne used to live in the front room, in a commercial indoor cage when she was around 8 weeks and still undergoing her chew training - I hated having her in it as she was ALWAYS desperate to get out.

Here you can see about 1/2 the cage

9103d698367bad9c2023f51b1eb01930.jpg

We then bonded her with Phoebe and they had a set up in the front room which met the 60sqft recommendation.

fe7d5e1b044fef0afee3fe495e4a8d60.jpg

But that was awkward and took up the whole front room so that's why they moved into the other room.

If you're unable to provide their own room I recommend sectioning off at least 60sqft of a room using puppy pens, or have a "den" such as a 6ft x 2ft hutch that never gets shut and make them completely free roam.

You could also look at Manor Pet Housing or Boyles Pet Housing for a bespoke made indoor house for them that makes the 60sqft (if you want something prettier than the puppy pens).

The only reason we don't free roam these two all the time is because we have other pets that are active at night and we don't want any accidents between the three species.

My two girls - any excuse to show them off lol

346493160472b48a3b19eaeefe7dd1c2.jpg

DP I love your photos - and the little Hammy!

Squee :love:

Live alone??? Rabbits value company as highly as they value food. I have four living together and they are always cuddled up either in pairs or in a big pile of four. I am curious about this rather unusual advice that you have been given and very glad that you have fallen in love!

What the guy said is that when he was brought in the person said that they found him in the garden and put him in with there rabbit and they fought so they had to bring him in. The guy in the rescue center said that it is more than likeley they didnt get on from birth and he wasnt found in the garden. He also said that he would be better on his own because he like his own space. I also found it strange but they know best:)

So they didn't try bonding him?
He was just put in with other rabbits without using a proper bonding procedure?

Rabbits can't just be put together, they will fight if this is done.
Rabbits need to be introduced on neutral territory and given time to figure out who is going to be top bun.
He'd be very happy with a bunny friend who will understand him.
I'd recommend you have a look at the Behaviour and Bonding section for tips on how to bond rabbits. You'll see that they have a complex behaviour system which isn't known to many people - especially unsavvy rescues.

He's a gorgeous boy! It sounds as though the RSPCA centre aren't so clued up on bonding, it can be a delicate and tricky, and it may well be possible in future with the correct bonding procedure :)

I'm sure someone on here will know some locals who can help once you've got your boy settled. Did they say he was neutered?

Back