• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

and another dental..

binkyCodie

Mama Doe
part of me really wishes I had read up more on rabbit breeds and dentals, and that mini breeds are more prone to them. but hey, I have a butthead of a rabbit now so I gotta stick this out lol.

Snoopy is just two years old, and this is going to be his second dental. for the past month he has shown less interest in hay, and also slower at eating his pellets. and the past two days, he's had no interest in hay, and little in food. he often has periods where he gets gas so no movement, so I self treat home with some critical care and baby gas drops/gripe water. it works every time with no issues, a day later he perks up and is back to himself. I figured that this time maybe but its not.

so a vet appointment and £65 shorter for today, we know its his teeth. his teeth are slightly misaligned, and not a straight tooth. they go up towards the middle. meaning that instead of a straight topped tooth, its more diagonal. now on Monday he has a dental, dropping him off at 9am and hoping I can make my 10am appointment 11 miles away. but hey if I'm late I'm late, my little boy is important.

the only good thing out of this is that my vets are willing to do a payment plan for the £125 dental. Monday I pay £65, and then can pay £20 a week after that which works well for me. I don't have £125 right up, I'm still a student and I don't make too much money :/

right now he's sat in a corner of his pen that I have moved downstairs (its so much easier over up and down for meds 3 times a day, and I can keep an eye on him as can my parents) and looking pretty damn sorry for himself lol. for the rest of the weekend its tempting him with greens and critical care until Monday.

we could have done an emergency but the vet and I agreed that's not the best choice. over the weekend we can strengthen him up and get meds inside of him. and its also fairly late, so timing would be an issue. Snoopy is also still eating some, so its not like he's completely eating nothing at all.

heres my grumpy lil boy lol
LcNpOVe.jpg

part of me really wishes I had read up more on rabbit breeds and dentals, and that mini breeds are more prone to them. but hey, I have a butthead of a rabbit now so I gotta stick this out lol.

Snoopy is just two years old, and this is going to be his second dental. for the past month he has shown less interest in hay, and also slower at eating his pellets. and the past two days, he's had no interest in hay, and little in food. he often has periods where he gets gas so no movement, so I self treat home with some critical care and baby gas drops/gripe water. it works every time with no issues, a day later he perks up and is back to himself. I figured that this time maybe but its not.

so a vet appointment and £65 shorter for today, we know its his teeth. his teeth are slightly misaligned, and not a straight tooth. they go up towards the middle. meaning that instead of a straight topped tooth, its more diagonal. now on Monday he has a dental, dropping him off at 9am and hoping I can make my 10am appointment 11 miles away. but hey if I'm late I'm late, my little boy is important.

the only good thing out of this is that my vets are willing to do a payment plan for the £125 dental. Monday I pay £65, and then can pay £20 a week after that which works well for me. I don't have £125 right up, I'm still a student and I don't make too much money :/

right now he's sat in a corner of his pen that I have moved downstairs (its so much easier over up and down for meds 3 times a day, and I can keep an eye on him as can my parents) and looking pretty damn sorry for himself lol. for the rest of the weekend its tempting him with greens and critical care until Monday.

we could have done an emergency but the vet and I agreed that's not the best choice. over the weekend we can strengthen him up and get meds inside of him. and its also fairly late, so timing would be an issue. Snoopy is also still eating some, so its not like he's completely eating nothing at all.

LcNpOVe.jpg

I hope that all will go well for Snoopy on Monday and it's good to hear that your Vet has agreed to a payment plan :) Is Snoopy having daily pain relief over the weekend ?

Sorry to hear that your bun needs a dental, this an ongoing issue for mini lop Treacle, and was also an issue for my bridge bun Toffee. Do you give your buns fresh herbs ? they tend to be more digestible than veg, and if you dip them in water, then buns get liquid into them too. Good luck for Monday !

LcNpOVe.jpg

Oh poor Snoopy - and poor you!

How long has it been since his first dental?

It's at dental times that I'm really glad I have a vet who can do 'conscious dentals' - no recovery time, and sooo much cheaper!

I hope that all will go well for Snoopy on Monday and it's good to hear that your Vet has agreed to a payment plan :) Is Snoopy having daily pain relief over the weekend ?

yes :) we have three medications consisting of:
Metacam x1
Ranitidine x3
Emeprid x2

as you can guess its so much easier to have him downstairs over going up and down stairs for lots of medication lol. that and he needs 3-5 times a day of critical care.

Sorry to hear that your bun needs a dental, this an ongoing issue for mini lop Treacle, and was also an issue for my bridge bun Toffee. Do you give your buns fresh herbs ? they tend to be more digestible than veg, and if you dip them in water, then buns get liquid into them too. Good luck for Monday !

both of my bunnies get a bowl of greens every night with coriander, spring greens, watercress, and any other herbs i see in stores that they can have to switch it up a little bit. he is currently drinking from the bowl and gets water from the critical care, so i’m not too worried about him not drinking.
and thank you! i always worry when they go into surgery :(

Oh poor Snoopy - and poor you!

How long has it been since his first dental?

It's at dental times that I'm really glad I have a vet who can do 'conscious dentals' - no recovery time, and sooo much cheaper!

poor wallet also! :lol:

it has thankfully been a while since his last dental, he had his with his neuter a year and a bit ago. so i’m not too grumpy as its not been such a short period of time. he did almost need them doing again 6 months after but some good hay sorted that out, this time we just weren’t so lucky. he’s a picky little bun, his hay needs this that and that and this haha. i think at first it took 5 hays to find one, then jan he turned his nose up at that. so maybe even january was the beginning of all of this.

conscious dentals would be so much easier for sure, but at the same time i know he wouldn’t stay still lol. and also he tends to get a sore mouth after his dental, so i have to critical care feed anyhow for a few days after. this bun is almost royalty!

poor wallet also! :lol:

it has thankfully been a while since his last dental, he had his with his neuter a year and a bit ago. so i’m not too grumpy as its not been such a short period of time. he did almost need them doing again 6 months after but some good hay sorted that out, this time we just weren’t so lucky. he’s a picky little bun, his hay needs this that and that and this haha. i think at first it took 5 hays to find one, then jan he turned his nose up at that. so maybe even january was the beginning of all of this.

conscious dentals would be so much easier for sure, but at the same time i know he wouldn’t stay still lol. and also he tends to get a sore mouth after his dental, so i have to critical care feed anyhow for a few days after. this bun is almost royalty!

Yes, the 'poor you' was referring to your wallet!!

I'm glad his dental was quite a while ago, and you're on the ball with the old hay. Even if he is choosy!

I have had many wriggly buns, but when swaddled by a good and experienced vet, they can't struggle. Rabbits can get a sore mouth from a dental whether it's conscious or under GA. It's the dental issues and the skill of the vet that determine that :)

little butt has gone downhill last night, as well as escaping his pen and destroying 3 leads and injuring my laptop one. I didn't think he could get out but I was wrong :((

and now he's worse, refusing to eat almost anything. I think this is the first time I've used up the pot of critical care i make (plastic microwavable pot, make up in there. i reheat when I need it and then put it back in the fridge). usually i have some left over with no more use but not this time. he's just currently living on critical care, and tiny bits of hay or veggies/herbs he'll eat. he's turned his nose up at carrot, lettuce, dill, coriander, pellets, watercress. all he has eaten is a slither of banana and apple.

so far at 7:30pm he's had 35ml of critical care. I'm planning to get more inside of him tonight before i head to bed (at stupid times) as i'm so worried about him to the point i can't sleep. he will nibble on pellet and veggies i offer so i'll leave them out anyway.

im so worried about him and the anxiety of tomorrow on his surgery is worrying me too :(

little butt has gone downhill last night, as well as escaping his pen and destroying 3 leads and injuring my laptop one. I didn't think he could get out but I was wrong :((

and now he's worse, refusing to eat almost anything. I think this is the first time I've used up the pot of critical care i make (plastic microwavable pot, make up in there. i reheat when I need it and then put it back in the fridge). usually i have some left over with no more use but not this time. he's just currently living on critical care, and tiny bits of hay or veggies/herbs he'll eat. he's turned his nose up at carrot, lettuce, dill, coriander, pellets, watercress. all he has eaten is a slither of banana and apple.

so far at 7:30pm he's had 35ml of critical care. I'm planning to get more inside of him tonight before i head to bed (at stupid times) as i'm so worried about him to the point i can't sleep. he will nibble on pellet and veggies i offer so i'll leave them out anyway.

im so worried about him and the anxiety of tomorrow on his surgery is worrying me too :(

Sending hugs for you and vibes for him :love:

It's understandable that you are anxious but a Dental done under GA is generally so much safer and more thorough.

This is the Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund's Policy Statement about 'Concious Dentals'

Conscious Dental Treatment

We are often asked whether it is possible, or advantageous, to perform dental procedures on rabbits without anaesthesia or sedation. This is a complex question, as it depends entirely on the character of the rabbit, the nature of the dental problem, the equipment available and the expertise of the Veterinary Surgeon and Veterinary Nurses involved. Trimming of overlong incisors may be performed with powered dental equipment with gentle but firm physical restraint. Towel wrapping, the "bunny burrito" technique, may be very useful here. Sedation may be required in some rabbits.

Cheek (back) teeth treatment is more complicated, requiring visualisation of the teeth. Difficulty arises because they are hidden at the back of the mouth, in contrast to the easily visible incisors, as well as greatly limiting the safe use of effective dental equipment in this area.

Gags are occasionally recommended to keep the mouth open. These are widely used in anaesthetised rabbits to hold the mouth open and the head in position, but are not safe to use in a rabbit which is not adequately anaesthetised due to the risk of tooth or jaw fracture if the rabbit tries to close its mouth. Without this, visibility is limited, which makes it easy to miss significant dental problems, especially at the very back of the mouth, and increases the risk of damaging the soft tissues of the mouth when carrying out conscious dentistry.

Powered dental equipment rotates rapidly and may cause significant injuries to the tongue, cheek or gums if it comes into contact with them. It is therefore wise not to use where visibility is not sufficient to avoid the risk of damage. Furthermore there is the danger of conscious animals moving, causing power tools to slip and inflict injury on the mouth

The choice of equipment for use in conscious dentistry is therefore limited to hand held ie non powered equipment. Whilst this is appropriate for small spurs on the inside edge of the lower teeth, it is much more difficult to use these elsewhere, should other teeth require attention. If the entire back tooth is leaning it, rather than just spurring, it is inappropriate to use hand equipment to clip the tooth, as this can fracture and loosen the tooth.

Files can be used in the mouth to avoid clipping. However, large blood vessels at the back of the mouth are vulnerable to being caught with the tip of a file, and potentially fatal haemorrhage may result.

The experience of the veterinary surgeon performing such a procedure, and the expertise of the veterinary nurse handling the rabbit strongly influence the safety and end result of any dental procedure. The decision on whether to carry out dental work and how to do so is the clinical responsibility of the veterinary surgeon, after a discussion of the relative risks and benefits with the owner of all techniques available. It is impossible here to categorically state what should and should not be done in each circumstance, but conscious dentistry should not simply be considered as a short cut alternative to dentistry under GA. Whatever method is employed, a full clinical examination of the rabbit, with particular reference to the mouth and associated structures, should be performed first (eg intra and extra-oral examination, and assessment of eyes and ears to look for associated pathology).

Our opinion at the RWAF is that incisor dental shortening can be carried out conscious in the majority of rabbits, (but that this should be done using appropriate tools, and not by clipping which can shatter or split teeth) but that cheek tooth dentistry is best carried out under a short, well maintained anaesthetic to allow full visualisation and assessment of dental disease. However, there may be circumstances where a limited amount of cheek tooth dentistry may be more safely performed conscious. A typical situation is the presence of a single or small number of dental spurs in an easily visualised position, in a calm rabbit, particularly when the animal is not considered a suitable candidate for an anaesthetic (eg through severe dehydration or malnutrition for the dental lesion present, or other underlying disease). This may perhaps be carried out to relieve pain in a seriously unwell rabbit in order to improve his or her fluid and nutritional status prior to a full dental under GA. However, if conscious dentistry is considered the default option due to the risks of anaesthesia generally, it is worth reviewing practice anaesthetic protocols for rabbits.

The risks of the procedure must be balanced against the potential advantages in every case, and fully discussed with your veterinary surgeon.

Please note that this advice is not aimed at the equivalent situation in guinea pigs, whose dental pathology is different, usually involving whole teeth and a significantly increased risk of severely and permanently damaging the teeth involved.

I would ask the Vet if Snoopy can have supportive fluids during and after the GA as this can aid recovery. I'd also make sure that the Vet prescribes some analgesic cover for you to give Snoopy for a few days, especially if his teeth have caused some soft tissue damage in his mouth.

Sending lots of vibes for him xx

Sending lots of vibes for Snoopy today. I hope that his dental goes well and that he is soon home recovering well with you and Luna.

I'm sorry I've missed all this.
Lots of vibes for the dental treatment.

My Phoebe has a GA and dental treatment every 6 to 7 weeks. She gets dental spurs which dig into her cheek and tongue. We don't get any warning from her it's happening so she just suddenly refuses all food. (Normally on a Sunday).

I don't worry about the GA. I was involved in 100s of rabbit GAs and all survived fine with no complications.

We used to perform conscious dentals in our practice but only on the incisors. We would bunny burrito, then put a pen or similar object behind the incisors before using a dental machine to cut the teeth.
We never done dental treatment conscious if the back teeth needed treatment - it was too risky for us, but I know of some vets who swear by it. (Personally, I wouldn't want my bun going through the stress of a conscious dental treatment).

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

It's understandable that you are anxious but a Dental done under GA is generally so much safer and more thorough.

This is the Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund's Policy Statement about 'Concious Dentals'

Conscious Dental Treatment

We are often asked whether it is possible, or advantageous, to perform dental procedures on rabbits without anaesthesia or sedation. This is a complex question, as it depends entirely on the character of the rabbit, the nature of the dental problem, the equipment available and the expertise of the Veterinary Surgeon and Veterinary Nurses involved. Trimming of overlong incisors may be performed with powered dental equipment with gentle but firm physical restraint. Towel wrapping, the "bunny burrito" technique, may be very useful here. Sedation may be required in some rabbits.

Cheek (back) teeth treatment is more complicated, requiring visualisation of the teeth. Difficulty arises because they are hidden at the back of the mouth, in contrast to the easily visible incisors, as well as greatly limiting the safe use of effective dental equipment in this area.

Gags are occasionally recommended to keep the mouth open. These are widely used in anaesthetised rabbits to hold the mouth open and the head in position, but are not safe to use in a rabbit which is not adequately anaesthetised due to the risk of tooth or jaw fracture if the rabbit tries to close its mouth. Without this, visibility is limited, which makes it easy to miss significant dental problems, especially at the very back of the mouth, and increases the risk of damaging the soft tissues of the mouth when carrying out conscious dentistry.

Powered dental equipment rotates rapidly and may cause significant injuries to the tongue, cheek or gums if it comes into contact with them. It is therefore wise not to use where visibility is not sufficient to avoid the risk of damage. Furthermore there is the danger of conscious animals moving, causing power tools to slip and inflict injury on the mouth

The choice of equipment for use in conscious dentistry is therefore limited to hand held ie non powered equipment. Whilst this is appropriate for small spurs on the inside edge of the lower teeth, it is much more difficult to use these elsewhere, should other teeth require attention. If the entire back tooth is leaning it, rather than just spurring, it is inappropriate to use hand equipment to clip the tooth, as this can fracture and loosen the tooth.

Files can be used in the mouth to avoid clipping. However, large blood vessels at the back of the mouth are vulnerable to being caught with the tip of a file, and potentially fatal haemorrhage may result.

The experience of the veterinary surgeon performing such a procedure, and the expertise of the veterinary nurse handling the rabbit strongly influence the safety and end result of any dental procedure. The decision on whether to carry out dental work and how to do so is the clinical responsibility of the veterinary surgeon, after a discussion of the relative risks and benefits with the owner of all techniques available. It is impossible here to categorically state what should and should not be done in each circumstance, but conscious dentistry should not simply be considered as a short cut alternative to dentistry under GA. Whatever method is employed, a full clinical examination of the rabbit, with particular reference to the mouth and associated structures, should be performed first (eg intra and extra-oral examination, and assessment of eyes and ears to look for associated pathology).

Our opinion at the RWAF is that incisor dental shortening can be carried out conscious in the majority of rabbits, (but that this should be done using appropriate tools, and not by clipping which can shatter or split teeth) but that cheek tooth dentistry is best carried out under a short, well maintained anaesthetic to allow full visualisation and assessment of dental disease. However, there may be circumstances where a limited amount of cheek tooth dentistry may be more safely performed conscious. A typical situation is the presence of a single or small number of dental spurs in an easily visualised position, in a calm rabbit, particularly when the animal is not considered a suitable candidate for an anaesthetic (eg through severe dehydration or malnutrition for the dental lesion present, or other underlying disease). This may perhaps be carried out to relieve pain in a seriously unwell rabbit in order to improve his or her fluid and nutritional status prior to a full dental under GA. However, if conscious dentistry is considered the default option due to the risks of anaesthesia generally, it is worth reviewing practice anaesthetic protocols for rabbits.

The risks of the procedure must be balanced against the potential advantages in every case, and fully discussed with your veterinary surgeon.

Please note that this advice is not aimed at the equivalent situation in guinea pigs, whose dental pathology is different, usually involving whole teeth and a significantly increased risk of severely and permanently damaging the teeth involved.

I would ask the Vet if Snoopy can have supportive fluids during and after the GA as this can aid recovery. I'd also make sure that the Vet prescribes some analgesic cover for you to give Snoopy for a few days, especially if his teeth have caused some soft tissue damage in his mouth.

Sending lots of vibes for him xx

thank you!! that’s incredibly helpful.

i’m taking a shot that analgesic is something to do with pain relief. he has metacam right now, and will likely continue that on for the next couple of days.

I'm sorry I've missed all this.
Lots of vibes for the dental treatment.

My Phoebe has a GA and dental treatment every 6 to 7 weeks. She gets dental spurs which dig into her cheek and tongue. We don't get any warning from her it's happening so she just suddenly refuses all food. (Normally on a Sunday).

I don't worry about the GA. I was involved in 100s of rabbit GAs and all survived fine with no complications.

We used to perform conscious dentals in our practice but only on the incisors. We would bunny burrito, then put a pen or similar object behind the incisors before using a dental machine to cut the teeth.
We never done dental treatment conscious if the back teeth needed treatment - it was too risky for us, but I know of some vets who swear by it. (Personally, I wouldn't want my bun going through the stress of a conscious dental treatment).

thank you!

i guess i’m more worried about the ga as he’s not exactly 100% healthy. if he was happy and healthy (just with teeth issues) and going i’d be less anxious. but with how he is its just that bit more scary i suppose.

also, thank you all for your support! ♥ last night i ended up puking from the anxiety (that’s how i roll :lol: ). he was dropped off at 9:15am and i asked for them to keep his blue blankie with him. i guess it makes me feel better as i feel having something that smells of him and me in such a scary environment helps, probably not but i find it helpful lol. they’re happy as he’s gained the weight he lost (and a bit extra, but he’s still within a healthy weight) so that means they don’t have to worry about underweight bunny being under a ga :) he’s probably closer to the edge of the healthy weight, but i’ll just put him on a diet. it was my fault, but i just wanted him to eat so i offered a small amount of pellets throughout the day, and lot more herbs n veggies. once we’re out of this he’ll go back to ¼ cup of pellets once/twice a week.

I wouldn't be worried. They'll constantly monitor him while he's under xx
Lots of vibes for him and you x

thank you!! that’s incredibly helpful.

i’m taking a shot that analgesic is something to do with pain relief. he has metacam right now, and will likely continue that on for the next couple of days.

thank you!

i guess i’m more worried about the ga as he’s not exactly 100% healthy. if he was happy and healthy (just with teeth issues) and going i’d be less anxious. but with how he is its just that bit more scary i suppose.

also, thank you all for your support! ♥ last night i ended up puking from the anxiety (that’s how i roll :lol: ). he was dropped off at 9:15am and i asked for them to keep his blue blankie with him. i guess it makes me feel better as i feel having something that smells of him and me in such a scary environment helps, probably not but i find it helpful lol. they’re happy as he’s gained the weight he lost (and a bit extra, but he’s still within a healthy weight) so that means they don’t have to worry about underweight bunny being under a ga :) he’s probably closer to the edge of the healthy weight, but i’ll just put him on a diet. it was my fault, but i just wanted him to eat so i offered a small amount of pellets throughout the day, and lot more herbs n veggies. once we’re out of this he’ll go back to ¼ cup of pellets once/twice a week.

Yes, analgesia is a posh name for pain relief, aka Metacam :D

Vets giving 'conscious dentals' always divides the crowd on here, but I have two specialist vets (not my regular vet) who have done these for my rabbis for 25 years, absolutely perfectly with no trauma whatsoever. So each to his own, I say :D

Yes, there will be a VN assisting at all times so there will be two Veterinary qualified people with him throughout. In the 'old days' Rabbit GAs were very risky, but things have improved so much over the years and consequently the risks have reduced considerably. I have had Rabbits with heart problems go under GA for essential procedures and they have all come through OK. Personally I'd be far more worried about a Rabbit having a conscious Dental than having one under GA.

guess that’s easier said than done :lol: he’s like my little baby boy and i’m just so worried about him. the vet has been in the practice for years, 15+ and has been doing rabbit dentals for that long too almost. he also had the rabbit savvy vet who he loves monitoring him and she put him under so he was happier. its nothing with the vet, its just me being a worried momma :p

he’s home now, angry little grey lump right now haha. snoop hasn’t eaten any at the vet today but he never does and its not surprising. his teeth were slightly less worse than expected, but either way he needed to have it done. we need to continue the meds and i’ve been told to hand feed him tonight. they gave him fluids and some other things. im exhausted, 4 hours sleep, 3 cages to clean (his pen downstairs, Luna's cage, and his cage upstairs) and then heading to an appointment 11 miles away.

he’ll probably perk up, he’s always a grumpy butt until a few hours later.

they also shaved his ear, so there’s a chance the fur will grow back white or a different colour that doesn’t match :p

uQjWImD.jpg

Back