• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Charlie might have a bladder infection

Lizzie

Mama Doe
:cry: My number one boy, Charlie, is in hospital. He has been an awkward little devil to get to eat enough for a while now but we have just about been getting there. However, this morning when I came down, I could tell he just wasn't right and I wasn't going to be able to sort him out with some Infacol - we bunny mummies just know, don't we? Fortunately, my wonderful vet was working this weekend and was able to squeeze him in for a consultation. He said that his guts were very gassy but there was no impaction of faeces, tummy was empty and there were faeces in the colon but he just wasn't...erm....emitting them!!! So he has been kept in so that they can take a urine sample for analysis - up to 7.15 when my vet was kind enough to update me, he hadn't obliged but he said he was not overly worried about him, keeping him hydrated, and did not think it was anything too sinister. Might mean putting the old boy on prepulsid in which case he can come home tomorrow and I can adminster that, so we'll see what happens.......I will keep you informed.

Thanks, folks, for your concern!! :D Jason phoned me earlier and said it is confirmed to be a bladder infection as they have found blood in his urine. He is still not eating though nor, more importantly, is he drinking!!! So Jason has him on antibiotics and, if he doesn't get hydrated soon, he is going to put him on a drip. (He hasn't passed any poops either, little devil!) So they are going to keep him in again today but I can go and see him - I'll give the nurses a call and ask when the best time is! Jason says he is bright in himself and grooming so those are good signs, eh?

hey Lizzie hope charlie boy feels better soon and he can return home anyway he has to by next sunday :wink: xx

Oh Lizzie poor Charlie, hope he's feeling better soon, lots of nose rubs and a hug for his worried Mam :D

:( Oh dear, poor Charlie is no better. I had a call from the vet this morning to say that he is still depressed, not eating other than by syringe and there was more blood in his urine. She said that we might have a little wait for the antibiotics to really kick in and he needed nursing care, so he is going to stay in again. She did say that I should go to visit, so I am going to go over after work this evening. Will let you all know how I get on. :(

Aawww Lizzie, that's not so good. A visit will cheer him up, I'm sure he's missing his mummy. Does he have any of his own things with him i.e toys etc, just so they are familiar to him.

Thinking of you both xx

Awww Lizzie :( It's all this waiting we have to cope with, makes you feel so helpless :( Would you like to borrow Snowball to watch over him?, she's the Florence Nightingale of the rabbit world, I think Jasper's glad to get out from under the gaze of her beady eyes. She just sat and stared at him, and stared................ and stared............. :lol: :lol: Bless!

Please keep us up to date with Charlies progress and give him gentle nose rubs specially from me

Aahhhh, if Jasper is out of the watch of 'Snowball Nightingale', then it must mean he is feeling much better, and back out to his favourite spot in the sun (if only the sun was shining in Scotland :roll: ). Yaaaaaaaahhhhh !!!

Back