• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Arce between partners

tlcwrites

Mama Doe
Not since I first rescued Persephone Floof have I had a bun on their own.

A week tomorrow Iris passed, and it's strange to see how similar and different Arce's behaviour is to Seffy's.

Seffy, when we first rescued her was full of binkies, and I mean full of them. But she was previously being kept on her own, in a hamster cage. She was very very affectionate with her grooms and loved spending time with people. Bonding her to Morpheus led to 'sacrificing' that ridiculously close bond, but she's so happy now I wouldn't have it any other way.

Arce, meanwhile, I 'adopted' at 4.5 from a well-known pet store with Iris. Unless the thing involved noise (Iris was deaf), Iris led where Arce followed. Although she's finished grieving for Iris, I definitely can see she's missing rabbit company. It's been nice for us humans to get to know Arce alone, but she's got extra skittish around unexpected noises and movements. She still comes to us for fuss, and she jumps on my bed to get me up in the morning (that was Iris's 'job.') But she's just missing that edge of confidence that came from keeping her with Iris. That edge of confidence Persephone *had* when we rescued her because she'd been kept alone.

She has a husbun reserved and paid for but we've had to delay our getting him as he didn't recover from his neuter as he should. It's mostly my fault she still hasn't a partner, because there's another boy or 2 ready. But I don't know - I have a 'feeling' about the boy I reserved. The same kind of 'special' feeling I had when I first saw Iris. And when I saw another rescue rabbit I ultimately didn't end up getting (wrong gender; I still have way more does than bucks). I don't want to miss out on that right feeling but I equally feel selfish.

Argh just rambling, not sure if this makes any sense.

Your making sense. I don't think a few weeks is so long to wait for a hus bun while she has human interaction - hang on for the one you;ve fallen for, I hope he recovers soon

Not since I first rescued Persephone Floof have I had a bun on their own.

A week tomorrow Iris passed, and it's strange to see how similar and different Arce's behaviour is to Seffy's.

Seffy, when we first rescued her was full of binkies, and I mean full of them. But she was previously being kept on her own, in a hamster cage. She was very very affectionate with her grooms and loved spending time with people. Bonding her to Morpheus led to 'sacrificing' that ridiculously close bond, but she's so happy now I wouldn't have it any other way.

Arce, meanwhile, I 'adopted' at 4.5 from a well-known pet store with Iris. Unless the thing involved noise (Iris was deaf), Iris led where Arce followed. Although she's finished grieving for Iris, I definitely can see she's missing rabbit company. It's been nice for us humans to get to know Arce alone, but she's got extra skittish around unexpected noises and movements. She still comes to us for fuss, and she jumps on my bed to get me up in the morning (that was Iris's 'job.') But she's just missing that edge of confidence that came from keeping her with Iris. That edge of confidence Persephone *had* when we rescued her because she'd been kept alone.

She has a husbun reserved and paid for but we've had to delay our getting him as he didn't recover from his neuter as he should. It's mostly my fault she still hasn't a partner, because there's another boy or 2 ready. But I don't know - I have a 'feeling' about the boy I reserved. The same kind of 'special' feeling I had when I first saw Iris. And when I saw another rescue rabbit I ultimately didn't end up getting (wrong gender; I still have way more does than bucks). I don't want to miss out on that right feeling but I equally feel selfish.

Argh just rambling, not sure if this makes any sense.

I think we just have to follow our gut feeling. One of mine was a bit jittery after the partner left, and I must say I tend to bond quickly when there's an available bun. But I think in your shoes I would do what my heart says, and hold on for the one you were waiting for. Did they say why he isn't recovering? Nothing serious I hope? :)

I can imagine it must be hard to watch Arce as she reacts to the loss of Iris :(

I would also go with my gut instinct about a new partner for her and hope that the boy you have chosen is soon fully recovered and ready to meet her.

I'm glad I made some sort of sense. I feel a tad guilty making her wait for my heart. But she's doing ok, a bit more skittish at times, but ok.

He had to go under again and have some abx. I hope he makes a swift recovery, for mine and Arce's sake. :lol:

One lovely thing about Arce on her own...

...I've been able to feed her a more varied diet. For the most part, Iris could only have her pellets and hay, otherwise she would not eat all her caecotrophs. Arce we fed the same diet for convenience.

This morning, Arce was excited for breakfast, kept periscoping to see what I had and to try and get in the bags. Now I can hear her chomping happily on cow parsley, garlic mustard, plantain, hawthorn shoots, and dandelion. One happy bunny. :love:

Update on future husbun - he chewed through his stitches! Only the 3rd Honeybunny buck to do this.

He won't be ready for 8-10 days. :(

Update on future husbun - he chewed through his stitches! Only the 3rd Honeybunny buck to do this.

He won't be ready for 8-10 days. :(

Silly boy :roll: At least it was something that was easily fixed. Sending him vibes for speedy healing.....again :)

Back