• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Building a nest ten days after spaying

Anna6124

New Kit
We had our Netherland Dwarf spayed last week. It took her a few days to recover and start eating, drinking and going to the toilet but she seems more or less back to normal now. Today, however, she started manically building a nest. Is this normal? I thought spaying was supposed to have the opposite affect? Just worried that this is added stress on top of recovering from her op.

We had our Netherland Dwarf spayed last week. It took her a few days to recover and start eating, drinking and going to the toilet but she seems more or less back to normal now. Today, however, she started manically building a nest. Is this normal? I thought spaying was supposed to have the opposite affect? Just worried that this is added stress on top of recovering from her op.

She will still be quite hormonal as her spay was only a week ago. Also 'Spring Fever' will be playing a part. Things will settle down over the next few weeks :)

Hi Anna :)

The hormones don't subside for about 4 - 8 weeks after spaying, so I wouldn't worry about that :)

Can you ring your vet to reassure you all is well and that there were no complications during the surgery?

Thanks everyone. She went back for a check up three days after the op and the vet said everything was fine so I guess it's just down to the hormones!

Back