• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help!!!!! Please!!!!!!!!!!

DaveBella

New Kit
We are reasonably new to Rabbit Ownership and I need some advice. We had our first rabbit for my Son 2 years ago, from Pets At Home, he wasn't great to handle and is quiet so we had him neutered as the vet suggested this may help him. Anyway, he was fine but not easy for the children to handle (very thumpy) and runs away etc. We decided to get him a companion as we moved house and couldn't keep him in the house any longer so we rescued a Female spayed rabbit and they bonded great and have lived together happily for 18 months, although they are both lovely rabbits they aren't good for the children to handle as they are both quite big!! So being a bit crazy, I decided to buy two dwarf lop eared rabbits as we have a beautiful purpose built run with plenty of room to offer a good home and I wanted young rabbits for the children to handle and the two we got are fabulous, full of fun and easy to handle the children adore them.

anyway, we had a bit of bother bonding them but we did and they have all been living together really happily for 3 months, the babies also made the older 2 seem happier and more outgoing. Then a couple of weeks ago we noticed the little two continuously humping our old girl rabbit, then the next day the boy rabbit, then each other.... think you get the jist they are going crazy! We took them to the vet who confirmed Elsa and Anna (our girls) were actually 2 boys!! They now keep spraying everywhere and our female white rabbit is covered in it and looks so sad :cry: She wont come out, she is just huddled up looking miserable. We have separated them and booked them in for neutering on Tuesday but I need to know if I should keep them separate or if it will break their bond because bonding them before was quite stressful.

any ideas what would be best?

You need to keep them separate now until after their neuter (plus about another month/6 wks for hormones to settle). Rabbits will fight to the death, I'm afraid, and you risk all the bonds breaking down and all the rabbits fighting.

Rabbits do not make good pets for children. They are prey animals and, as such, can be very frightened of being touched, let alone picked up.

This is just a quick response, and not meant to be harsh.

Back