• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bony growth onspine, near shoulder blades.

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
Anyone experienced what feels like a boney growth on the spine? It's been growing so we will be going to the vets. He is not bothered by it (unless I mess with it). Bright, happy, glossy, very normal.

Any ideas?

Where abouts on the spine ? I have known of a Rabbit with an abscess on their spine which felt rock hard. So maybe it's not 'boney' ??

Hope all goes well at the Vets xx

Could it be a delayed reaction at an injection site?

Highly unlikely. He doesn't have vaccinations but I do have to inject him but have to do that further down and almost on his sides.

Where abouts on the spine ? I have known of a Rabbit with an abscess on their spine which felt rock hard. So maybe it's not 'boney' ??

Hope all goes well at the Vets xx

It's a definite possibility but how would an abscess get there? Certainly through injection issues but it's not where I inject him. It's right between his shoulder blades. If I pick him up and so his front legs drop down, it's only identifiable then. It's quite pointy. I can't move it. He's bothered only if I mess with it. If it's an abscess he would need to change antibiotics. That's a scary thought.

Thank you both.

Highly unlikely. He doesn't have vaccinations but I do have to inject him but have to do that further down and almost on his sides.

It's a definite possibility but how would an abscess get there? Certainly through injection issues but it's not where I inject him. It's right between his shoulder blades. If I pick him up and so his front legs drop down, it's only identifiable then. It's quite pointy. I can't move it. He's bothered only if I mess with it. If it's an abscess he would need to change antibiotics. That's a scary thought.

Thank you both.

Sometimes spontaneous abscesses can occur (due to Pasteurellosis). Or repeated injections can lead to the formation of a sterile abscess. But I doubt it's the latter as you said the lump is not where you inject.

Hopefully your Vet will be able to determine what it is. Morse was always sprouting lumps of one sort or another and of course each new one sent me into panic mode. But none were ever found to be anything 'nasty' xx

Just wanted to update. The lump is not an abscess and does appear to be attached to the spine. She said it feels like cartilage. Given his age, the fact that we nearly lost him under GA last time and his other health issues we aren't going to do anything other than monitor at this point.

Just wanted to update. The lump is not an abscess and does appear to be attached to the spine. She said it feels like cartilage. Given his age, the fact that we nearly lost him under GA last time and his other health issues we aren't going to do anything other than monitor at this point.

Sounds like the best decision for him. I hope that he is doing as well as possible xx

Back