• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunnys nipping

We got two bunnies when they were about nine weeks old in January. They were fine never had a problem the cost up and sleep together. But since yesterday the bigger of the two bunnies has taken to chasing and nipping the small one. They are both girls, are they too young for spaying? What else could it be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We got two bunnies when they were about nine weeks old in January. They were fine never had a problem the cost up and sleep together. But since yesterday the bigger of the two bunnies has taken to chasing and nipping the small one. They are both girls, are they too young for spaying? What else could it be?

It is almost certainly due to the fact that both Does are reaching puberty. That combined with the time of year ('Spring Fever'). Personally I do not like to spay Does under the age of 6 months, 5 months if absolutely essential. If the Does are a giant breed then I would not want them spayed til 9-10 months of age.

Are you 100% certain both Rabbits are Does ? I ask as a certain chain of Pet Shops is famous for selling mis- sexed Baby Rabbits. People then end up with many more Rabbits than they bargained for.

Breeders have also been known to mis-sex kits............

If you are 100% certain that they are both Does then it may be that you will need to keep them apart until the are spayed. A Doe/Doe bond is by far the most challenging and two hormonal Does are very likely to fight. Once a real fight takes place it is unlikely that the Does can be re-united, even after spaying. Rabbits tend not to forget who they have fallen out with.

I hope things will settle down again, but do be very vigilant as the scenario you describe is the perfect recipe for a falling out to occur.

Good luck x

Hi there :)

Your bunnies sound like they are reaching sexual maturity, and will now seek to find out who is dominant between the pair of them. I think you've been in touch with Trinity Vets in the past, so presumably they are happy they are both female and have told you about their spaying protocol? If not, have an appointment and discuss all your concerns and see if they can be spayed at 5 months - that's usually OK for smaller breeds.

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/neutering28807.pdf

Rabbit Welfare and Fund suggests between 4 and 6 months.

Good luck :)

Yes the vet confirmed they are both females. They are sitting together at the moment just fine. I will call the vets and see what they think, they are from the same litter, one is just bigger than the other ones. Not a giant breed just a Heinz 57 variety

Yes the vet confirmed they are both females. They are sitting together at the moment just fine. I will call the vets and see what they think, they are from the same litter, one is just bigger than the other ones. Not a giant breed just a Heinz 57 variety

Good luck :)

They will be in good hands there :D

The vet said they can be spayed next week and to let them eat as normal and bring them in together

Back