• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how many days do you keep elastic bandage on a bun with mild strain?

Happy Hopping

Wise Old Thumper
So this is what happened: they were eating hay at the hallway. I was cleaning their poos in another room and put the poos in a black garbage basket. It's the same garbage basket for the past 18 years. When I was done, I push the garbage basket out to the hallway.

1 of my bun must think the black basket is something else. Before you know it, both of them rush down to the main floor. About an hr. later, I notice 1 of my bun is lifting his right front paws, but when I compare his front left vs. right paws, there is no noticeable difference. So the assumption is, he must have somehow injured himself as he rush down the stairs.

Now, years ago, there is a similar problem, and on that case, the vet just wrap cotton + wrap + elastic bandage on my bun. So I did the same thing an hour later. Now the question is, how many days do I keep that around his front paws? His diet is fine.

So this is what happened: they were eating hay at the hallway. I was cleaning their poos in another room and put the poos in a black garbage basket. It's the same garbage basket for the past 18 years. When I was done, I push the garbage basket out to the hallway.

1 of my bun must think the black basket is something else. Before you know it, both of them rush down to the main floor. About an hr. later, I notice 1 of my bun is lifting his right front paws, but when I compare his front left vs. right paws, there is no noticeable difference. So the assumption is, he must have somehow injured himself as he rush down the stairs.

Now, years ago, there is a similar problem, and on that case, the vet just wrap cotton + wrap + elastic bandage on my bun. So I did the same thing an hour later. Now the question is, how many days do I keep that around his front paws? His diet is fine.

It's impossible to advise you on this Jason as without a thorough examination the exact injury cannot be known. The exact location of the injury ? Is there a fracture/hairline fracture ? Are tendons/ligaments involved ?

Personally I would want all of the above established before putting any type of bandage on. Sometimes bandaging can do more harm than good. If it were to be a minor sprain then usually a Non Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory (eg Meloxicam) and rest for a few days is needed.

Hope your Bun's leg will heal OK :)

I have had a similar thing happen to one of my buns, and I got the vet to examine the paw. The news was to leave it to heal up of it's own accord as it was a sprain. It may heal up on it's own - by putting a bandage on you may interfere with the healing process.

You could try taking the bandage off now and seeing if he puts any weight on?

As well as the good advice you have already had, bandages can rub and cause sores underneath which you won't know about. With our dog's broken toe, the dressings had to be removed weekly to check on everything underneath - and he still had some nasty sores across his toes and at the top of the dressings.

An unknown injury is best treated with rest / restricted space until it is properly assessed. If he was holding it up or not weight bearing, at the very least he is in pain. Breaks need sorting fairly quickly to ensure everything is aligned and the blood flow and nerves are not affected.

It's impossible to advise you on this Jason as without a thorough examination the exact injury cannot be known. The exact location of the injury ? Is there a fracture/hairline fracture ? Are tendons/ligaments involved ?

Personally I would want all of the above established before putting any type of bandage on. Sometimes bandaging can do more harm than good. If it were to be a minor sprain then usually a Non Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory (eg Meloxicam) and rest for a few days is needed.

Hope your Bun's leg will heal OK :)

it's his front right paw. In the past 2 days, his diet is normal. A few years ago, something like this happened, the vet also didn't do an x-ray. This time is a running down stair at high speed, so I can't see there is a chance of fracture. But it is most likely a sprain.

So what I did in the past 2 days is, I keep the upstair gate locked, as such, after 6 pm till 9 am the next day, he stays upstair. After 9 am, I'll carry him downstair and he and his girlfriend stays downstair from the morning till the 6 pm time frame. I'll remove the elastic bandage tomorrow and observe him and post an update.

As well as the good advice you have already had, bandages can rub and cause sores underneath which you won't know about. With our dog's broken toe, the dressings had to be removed weekly to check on everything underneath - and he still had some nasty sores across his toes and at the top of the dressings.

An unknown injury is best treated with rest / restricted space until it is properly assessed. If he was holding it up or not weight bearing, at the very least he is in pain. Breaks need sorting fairly quickly to ensure everything is aligned and the blood flow and nerves are not affected.

so the bandage already have a round of cotton at the inner layer, then the elastic bandage called "pet wrap".

what do you do to make sure "blood flow and nerves are not affected."?

so the bandage already have a round of cotton at the inner layer, then the elastic bandage called "pet wrap".

what do you do to make sure "blood flow and nerves are not affected."?

Remove the bandages and get him properly assessed. He may also need some pain relief.

Our dog's dressings were a Roberts Jones dressing - despite the many layers of padding and protected edges - and weekly checks - he still got nasty sores.

I have no idea if I'm right in thinking this but I would be concerned that pain relief could do more harm than good e.g. if its a sprain or hairline fracture I assume the best course of action is resting and not stressing the leg in any way but if he can't feel any pain/discomfort he won't know to do so.

I'm sure I've heard this before (maybe with dogs or ducks..not sure) but I don't know if it apples to bunnies since they don't deal with pain well.

so after I removed the elastic bandage on Thurs. night, his recovery progresses very rapidly. He wasn't using his front paws at the 1st half of the night, but start using it in the 2nd half. Then in the last few days, he pretty much use his front paws most of the time. As of yesterday and today, there is no sign that he ever had an injury.

I did book an appointment w/the vet but have since cancelled it.

thank you everyone for helping out

:love:

Back