• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Moving house with a 'disabled' bunny

Kerryyyy

Mama Doe
Hello everyone! I am so sorry if this is in the wrong section, please move it if it is.

I am moving into my own house at the end of April and while I am sure that my bunnies will adapt well to having their own rooms, I am concerned about my bunny Sam. Sam is an outdoor bunny who is bonded with Poppy and has been for roughly 5 years. Last april he developed a cataract in one eye and then developed one in the other eye not long after that. I have his eyes checked regularly at the vets and having Poppy he has adapted well to losing a lot of his vision.

Does anyone have any tips that will help with moving him and help him to settle in?? Myself and my partner decided to bring Sam and Poppy inside as the garden is shared until we can put up a fence and the garden needs a lot of work.

I'd try to keep his layout the same as he had previously if he's lost his sight.
Meaning if indoors have the same hutch and run, and lay it all out the same as her previously had.
This should make his transition a lot easier and less likely to have accidents associated with a layout he can not see.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I moved house with Louie my blind rabbit.

I was really worried about it but he was fine! found his littertray really easily and established the layout of the rooms and garden with no problems.

Thanks everyone! I wanted to make the transition as smooth as possible for all of them seeing as they are all OAPs now. :lol:

I took my 10 year old blind and deaf mini lop, my mini rex and my half lionhead on an airplane (in cabin) to travel 3000 miles from Alaska to Oregon and as long as his companions (not bonded) were nearby and he had a similar setup to his previous one, albeit I had to buy all new panels, he adapted very well. Our largest concern, aside from his age and that he's had head tilt a few years ago which could flare up with stress, has been that he's moulting heavily due to the temperature changes. :)

I hope your Sam does well with the move. That he has a bonded companion is very good for him. :D

Back