• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Savvy Vets on the Isle of Wight

Sharpie

Warren Scout
Hey all!

Well my dads girlfriend has sold her house and has purchased one in Yarmouth on the Isle of Wight!
I'm stressing like mad as my bunnies aren't vaccinated - We live in London, it's built up and there's literally no wild bunnies around, the fox population is really high, so i've never bothered.
However we'll be moving to the middle of nowhere! There's a massive farmers field behind the house, so im stressing over getting them done now..

So does anyone know of a rabbit savvy vets on the isle of wight i can get them registered to as soon as we get to the island?
Also does age have any effect on vaccines? Ive read some older bunnies becoming seriously ill after their first vaccine? i dont want to make mine ill and possibly die from not having it, but then i dont want to not do it and them die.. argh!

Cookie is 3 (4 in december)
Lulu & Daisy are 5 (6 in July)
Snowball is 6 (7 in May)

Many thanks!

Hey all!

Well my dads girlfriend has sold her house and has purchased one in Yarmouth on the Isle of Wight!
I'm stressing like mad as my bunnies aren't vaccinated - We live in London, it's built up and there's literally no wild bunnies around, the fox population is really high, so i've never bothered.
However we'll be moving to the middle of nowhere! There's a massive farmers field behind the house, so im stressing over getting them done now..

So does anyone know of a rabbit savvy vets on the isle of wight i can get them registered to as soon as we get to the island?
Also does age have any effect on vaccines? Ive read some older bunnies becoming seriously ill after their first vaccine? i dont want to make mine ill and possibly die from not having it, but then i dont want to not do it and them die.. argh!

Snowball is 6 (7 in May)

Many thanks!

Fluffybunny54 and Tonibun both live on the IOW so you could drop them a PM

Rabbits need to be vaccinated regardless of whether or not they live in a rural environment. There have been 2 recent confirmed RHD2 deaths in London this week.

I'd get all of your Rabbits vaccinated BEFORE you move as it takes time for a full immune response to develop. Personally I'd want the RHD2 Vaccine done first, full immune response takes 7 days to establish. Then normally I'd want the Nobivac Myxo-RHD vaccine to be given 2 weeks later, but there is a supply problem at the moment and some Vets are having trouble obtaining the vaccine. My Vet is obtaining the 50 dose packs at the moment and running Vaccination Clinics. We are in SW London. The Nobivac Myxo-RHD vaccine takes 21 days to develop a full immune response.

As long as your Rabbits are in overall good health there is no reason why their age should prevent them for being vaccinated. None of them are 'old' as such.

Good luck with it all, including the move :)

Hello, I'm registered with Green and Forster. They are based at Carisbrooke, but have a satellite surgery in Yarmouth, they also have one in Freshwater and Ventnor. They are excellent vets and are knowledgeable with rabbits. Their prices are really good. I believe 'tonibun' uses them, too and she has lots of buns.

Hey all!

Snowball is 6 (7 in May)

Many thanks!

Sharpie, you're moving so far away! :wave:

Do you know when you'll be moving?

Your bunnies aren't old, they will be fine with the vaccinations:)

Sharpie, you're moving so far away! :wave:

Do you know when you'll be moving?

Your bunnies aren't old, they will be fine with the vaccinations:)

I know! But it'll be a better life for us all :)

Roughly around May-June time hopefully!

Hello, I'm registered with Green and Forster. They are based at Carisbrooke, but have a satellite surgery in Yarmouth, they also have one in Freshwater and Ventnor. They are excellent vets and are knowledgeable with rabbits. Their prices are really good. I believe 'tonibun' uses them, too and she has lots of buns.

Awesome, i'll check them out! :D

I agree with Jane - I would have them vaccinated ASAP, not wait till you move.

I would, but because of moving costs i haven't the funds to do so - Hence why i'm going to wait until we've moved to do it as i'll actually have some funds

Sharpie, I think it would really be in your rabbits' best interests to get them done before you come over. Unfortunately myxi is rife and last year we had an outbreak of RHD2. Sorry to put a downer on the proceedings. As has been said, the vaccinations take a while to become effective. We also have loads of foxes over here, in the towns and in the countryside. I'm I.W. born and bred and love it here. I hope you will, too.

Sharpie, I think it would really be in your rabbits' best interests to get them done before you come over. Unfortunately myxi is rife and last year we had an outbreak of RHD2. Sorry to put a downer on the proceedings. As has been said, the vaccinations take a while to become effective. We also have loads of foxes over here, in the towns and in the countryside. I'm I.W. born and bred and love it here. I hope you will, too.

RHD2 only takes a week for immunity to be complete, and I know where you can get the jabs done for £25 each :D

Good advice from FB54 XX

Back