• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Choking on grass?

daphnephoebe

Wise Old Thumper
The girls have been in the garden most of today munching grass and other plants.

At one point, I think Phoebe was choking.
She suddenly stopped eating and started pawing at her mouth & mkving her head side to side like something was stuck in her mouth. Lasted about 10 seconds before she appeared to be okay and continued eating.

Is it possible she was choking, or did she just get something stuck? (She has dental spurs that get treated every 6 weeks).

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Aw, my wee baby girl - pleased all is well now. Mouse & Boo have done this more than once - their teeth are good & nothing identified when discussed with vet at later stage

The girls have been in the garden most of today munching grass and other plants.

She suddenly stopped eating and started pawing at her mouth & mkving her head side to side like something was stuck in her mouth. Lasted about 10 seconds before she appeared to be okay and continued eating.

Is it possible she was choking, or did she just get something stuck? (She has dental spurs that get treated every 6 weeks).

Thanks

Yes I've had a rabbit choke recently. Quite scary and some funny noises, but all was well in the end :)

Thanks

Choking is usually more 'dramatic' and the Rabbit usually takes longer than a few seconds to recover. IME anyway. To me it sounds as though Phoebe's spurs may be causing a bit of an issue and some grass got caught around one. Or the spur may have poked her in the cheek/tongue. Personally I'd get her teeth checked in the next couple of days. To err on the side of caution I'd want to have a listen to her lungs this morning too XX

Choking is usually more 'dramatic' and the Rabbit usually takes longer than a few seconds to recover. IME anyway. To me it sounds as though Phoebe's spurs may be causing a bit of an issue and some grass got caught around one. Or the spur may have poked her in the cheek/tongue. Personally I'd get her teeth checked in the next couple of days. To err on the side of caution I'd want to have a listen to her lungs this morning too XX
Thanks Jane.

She is approaching the 6 week mark and I'm seeing a few small poos so will have her teeth checked hopefully before she stops eating.

She did seem incredibly calm while it was happening which is why I wasn't sure if she actually was or not.

Thanks Jane.

She is approaching the 6 week mark and I'm seeing a few small poos so will have her teeth checked hopefully before she stops eating.

She did seem incredibly calm while it was happening which is why I wasn't sure if she actually was or not.

Once you witness a choke you will be in no doubt of what it is like :cry:

This is Hal after his first choke (he had 3 ) and he was my first experience of having to do the Bunny Heimlich Maneuver

Rabbits009-Optimized-1.jpg

Rabbits010-Optimized-1.jpg

Thanks Jane.

Has she been OK since it happened?

She's been perfectly fine. But I think Jane is onto something.
She's started pulling the carpet with her teeth this morning.

I hope you can get it sorted dp ... You deserve a bit of plain sailing at some stage, I feel :)

Oh yes, the 'my teefs are annoying me' carpet pulling............................
She always looks at me like it's my fault. I was hoping I could PM you at some point as I know you've had buns on hay only diets and I was hoping to get some tips from you? (We think it might help Phoebe's teeth)
I hope you can get it sorted dp ... You deserve a bit of plain sailing at some stage, I feel :)
All booked in for next Tuesday. I've got meds incase she stops eating so we're happy to wait until then.

She always looks at me like it's my fault. I was hoping I could PM you at some point as I know you've had buns on hay only diets and I was hoping to get some tips from you? (We think it might help Phoebe's teeth)

All booked in for next Tuesday. I've got meds incase she stops eating so we're happy to wait until then.

But as Rabbit carers everything is always our fault !! Even if it happens to be raining and Bunny gets a bit wet, blame is firmly placed on our shoulders :roll: :lol:

Yep, PM me when/if you need to. I am no expert but I'll help if I can :)

Back