• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Older Rescue Peeing Problem... Getting worse!

Hi,

I've posted about both of my rabbits before - long story short we were trying to bond them but as our first rabbit is a neutered 2 year old and our second rabbit an unswayed 5/6 year old (and ex breeder), the pairing didn't last very long. They are now both happily separated and living individual bunny lives.

We've started to have a problem with our second rescue, Bluebell. She is a 5/6yo Mini Lop and an ex-breeder. She has always been an outdoor rabbit and never lived inside until now. When she came to us, she would do lots of poos when out and about, which we expected. Now in the space of a week, she has started violently urinating into the air the moment she comes out of her cage. She is in a separate room to our neutered boy but every time she gets out the cage, she urinates EVERYWHERE. It isn't up walls necessarily, it is just a constant heavy flow of urine - on the floor, in the air and on us.

I've put a litter tray in with her but it has done no good, she has used it as much as she has used all the floor of her cage. We don't want to spay her at 5/6 as it could potentially do more harm than good but are at a loose end with how to even let her out without her ruining our home. We have tried rugs, towels, cardboard, newspaper, ANYTHING to soak up/prevent the serious amount of urine but she does it so much that it always ends in me disinfecting and soaking the entire carpet.

Please help!!

Hi,

I've posted about both of my rabbits before - long story short we were trying to bond them but as our first rabbit is a neutered 2 year old and our second rabbit an unswayed 5/6 year old (and ex breeder), the pairing didn't last very long. They are now both happily separated and living individual bunny lives.

We've started to have a problem with our second rescue, Bluebell. She is a 5/6yo Mini Lop and an ex-breeder. She has always been an outdoor rabbit and never lived inside until now. When she came to us, she would do lots of poos when out and about, which we expected. Now in the space of a week, she has started violently urinating into the air the moment she comes out of her cage. She is in a separate room to our neutered boy but every time she gets out the cage, she urinates EVERYWHERE. It isn't up walls necessarily, it is just a constant heavy flow of urine - on the floor, in the air and on us.

I've put a litter tray in with her but it has done no good, she has used it as much as she has used all the floor of her cage. We don't want to spay her at 5/6 as it could potentially do more harm than good but are at a loose end with how to even let her out without her ruining our home. We have tried rugs, towels, cardboard, newspaper, ANYTHING to soak up/prevent the serious amount of urine but she does it so much that it always ends in me disinfecting and soaking the entire carpet.

Please help!!

Personally I would consider getting her spayed as long as she is in overall good health. Not just from the behavioural point of view but Does aged 5+ are at a high risk of developing uterine infections/cancer. Some studies indicate the incidence of UC can be as high as 80%.

Her litter tray habits, or rather her lack of them, are far less likely to improve whilst she is a bundle of hormones. Being an Ex breeding Doe will mean that she is even more driven to need to be mated up, especially at this time of year.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do :)

Personally I would consider getting her spayed as long as she is in overall good health. Not just from the behavioural point of view but Does aged 5+ are at a high risk of developing uterine infections/cancer. Some studies indicate the incidence of UC can be as high as 80%.

Her litter tray habits, or rather her lack of them, are far less likely to improve whilst she is a bundle of hormones. Being an Ex breeding Doe will mean that she is even more driven to need to be mated up, especially at this time of year.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do :)

Couldn't agree more :thumb:

Hi,

Please help!!

Hi Paige :wave:

Im sorry you're having this problem with Bluebell (love her name :love:). If the urinating has just started, I would get her checked out for a Urinary Tract Infection. I have had ex breeding Does which have not been spayed and they do not behave like this.

Of course the ideal would be to have her spayed, but before doing that I would get the vet to run a blood profile to make sure she will cope with the anaesthetic. The Rabbit Welfare and Fund suggests that up to 80% of unspayed does go on to develop uterine tumours:

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/neutering28807.pdf

If there's no medical reason for the start of urination, you can begin to think about re- litter training, and we can help you with that. Spaying may or may not help with that, given her age.

Good luck xx

Back