• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Breeding to fix behavioural problems?!

roxyroller88

Mama Doe
Just seen this post on a local selling site...

'My lionhead doe rabbit is starting to be a bit bitchy and I've been advised to breed her just once babies already have homes depending on how many she has. I'm looking to borrow a lionhead buck for a few hours?'

Would that even help? I would like to suggest that she just gets her doe spayed but my knowledge on this is limited. Any info appreciated :)

Jeez,more baby bunnies,:( Poor bunny is just hormonal.How anyone can describe a bunny as "bitchy" is pretty sad.The girl needs spayed.

Jeez,more baby bunnies,:( Poor bunny is just hormonal.How anyone can describe a bunny as "bitchy" is pretty sad.The girl needs spayed.
This exactly.

Her hormones will be driving her crazy, especially as it's spring which is their best time to breed in their minds.

Letting her have a litter will likely cause more issues as she will then need to protect her babies and will become more aggressive.
Being spayed will reduce the hormones level and make her less territorial and more manageable. Obviously, she still won't be able to be picked up and cuddled as she's likely outgrown this stage now.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

This exactly.

Her hormones will be driving her crazy, especially as it's spring which is their best time to breed in their minds.

Letting her have a litter will likely cause more issues as she will then need to protect her babies and will become more aggressive.
Being spayed will reduce the hormones level and make her less territorial and more manageable. Obviously, she still won't be able to be picked up and cuddled as she's likely outgrown this stage now.

Thanks for that. I have pretty much copied your post and added in some info about the health benefits of spaying too. I'm sure that it will fall on death ears but I wanted to try anyway :(

Totally agree with DP. Get her spayed or she will stay hormonal / 'bitchy'. Well done for trying to make her life better.

WHAT? :shock:

Whoever said to breed the poor girl was giving terrible advice. My bridge girl, Nessarose had one litter so her original owner's kids could experience the 'miracle of birth'. A couple of years later, lo and behold, she was still 'nasty' and the previous owner 'hated her'. I took her on and literally days after spaying, she was the sweetest girl. Gosh, I miss her. :(

I hope the advice you've given is heeded.

And then straight after that - 'Also I wouldn't just breed for the sake of it I've already got babies a home'

So infuriating.

Thanks for that. I have pretty much copied your post and added in some info about the health benefits of spaying too. I'm sure that it will fall on death ears but I wanted to try anyway :(
Welcome. Hopefully she listens.

If she complains money is an issue point her in the direction of the RSPCA/RWAF/PDSA as they do offer vouchers/help getting rabbit neutered.

And now...
'I did not put this on for a lecture I've thought about it now please remove yourself from my post sick of people on Facebook interfering in other people's business what concern is it of yours? She is my rabbit and I've researched for 5 months over what to do for MY rabbit for the best and in my eyes I would rather try her with a litter just 1 litter to see if it works with her temperament as I don't think a tiny rabbit like mine would last an operation so please do not comment unless you have a buck I can borrow for a couple of hours :)'

And now...
'I did not put this on for a lecture I've thought about it now please remove yourself from my post sick of people on Facebook interfering in other people's business what concern is it of yours? She is my rabbit and I've researched for 5 months over what to do for MY rabbit for the best and in my eyes I would rather try her with a litter just 1 litter to see if it works with her temperament as I don't think a tiny rabbit like mine would last an operation so please do not comment unless you have a buck I can borrow for a couple of hours :)'

I'm in shock. Silly cow. Good on you for trying to educate & inform - sorry its been taken so badly.

I'm in shock. Silly cow. Good on you for trying to educate & inform - sorry its been taken so badly.

I'm not shocked at all unfortunately. I knew that it would fall on death ears.
She's deleted the post now and she has started a new one which says 'Lionhead buck wanted for stud with my doe. Homes already sourced for babies so no unwanted babies. Just want my doe to have 1 litter before she is spayed x' :censored: She has absolutely no intention of getting her spayed, she's just lying to prevent people from telling her what she doesn't want to hear.

So I just typed into google 'my female rabbit is aggressive' and EVERY link on the first page talks about neutering to remove hormones.

She must be a monumental moron if she managed to miss all of that and find the obscure link that recommends breeding :roll:

I find this so depressing :( Why are some people so quick to perceive any constructive advice as a personal attack and immediately go on the defensive? What makes it even worse is that her poor bun will be the one that suffers because of her selfish pig-headedness :(

I added a link to an article by Dana Krempels about the benefits of spaying and I asked her who these so called 'professionals' are too and pointed out that no genuine, rabbit savvy vet would recommend breeding to solve the problem that she has with her doe.
I've upsets myself wondering what will happen to this poor rabbit when her plan doesn't work out the way that she expects it to :(

And now...

Yet she thinks she'll hold up well with pregnancy and labor? That makes a lot of sense.

I doubt she's even been misinformed, probably just wants to have a litter and is using the hormonal thing as an excuse. Same as she's using "she's too small" as an excuse not to spay :roll: At least own up to the fact that you want to irresponsibly breed for the fun of it.

I don't have a problem with breeding, but not like this. She's literally going to use the first buck someone offers her, with no idea of its background, health etc.

Sadly you've done what you can,such a shame that the owner is an ignorant idiot,with no clue as to her rabbits welfare.:(

I think that I'm going to have to leave these groups because they upset me and just make me so angry. Nobody listens anyway :(

Let her come and have a look at my tiny nethie and see the strain a litter put on the poor bun then. Her coat has lost condition, shes going through a terrible moult, shes grunting at anything that moves outside the aviary (except us) trying to protect her babies, and shes now trying to avoid them feeding from her now that they are hopping around so is constantly jumping on the shelves. They are precious babies but i would never voluntarily put any bun through this. You have tried your best roxyroller and thats all you can do. Well done you for speaking up. It might sound hypocritical coming from me who now has 5 babies being born, but when you see what the momma bun goes through its sad and i would never want this for any bun. xx

Back