• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Moulting?

capable

Mama Doe
Since last Wednesday (15th) one of my buns, William, has been moulting like a mad thing! It's mainly from around his hips and the base of his spine just above his tail. He's not keen on being handled, but I got him brushed a little over breakfast yesterday - today it's coming out in loose chunks that I was removing with my fingers! He doesn't seem disturbed by this, and I can't see anything untoward on his skin (also still eating, drinking, steady weight etc.). Is it normal for buns to be moulting so much now? Both he and his brother Jack are short-haired, but Jack isn't moulting at all? William doesn't do well at the vets, so I thought I'd see if this was bog-standard rabbitness before stressing him unnecessarily.

Since last Wednesday (15th) one of my buns, William, has been moulting like a mad thing! It's mainly from around his hips and the base of his spine just above his tail. He's not keen on being handled, but I got him brushed a little over breakfast yesterday - today it's coming out in loose chunks that I was removing with my fingers! He doesn't seem disturbed by this, and I can't see anything untoward on his skin (also still eating, drinking, steady weight etc.). Is it normal for buns to be moulting so much now? Both he and his brother Jack are short-haired, but Jack isn't moulting at all? William doesn't do well at the vets, so I thought I'd see if this was bog-standard rabbitness before stressing him unnecessarily.

Some moults can be quite spectacular.................

Rabbits001.jpg

Rabbits006-1.jpg

Can you post a photo of William's moult ?

Some moults can be quite spectacular.................

Rabbits001.jpg

Rabbits006-1.jpg

Can you post a photo of William's moult ?

Oh my goodness! �� That looks quite similar to William actually, though his is in a much smaller patch. I can see and feel much shorter fur in the area that all his lovely longer fur is falling out. I've got to go to uni now, but I'll get a photo this afternoon just to be sure!

For a little bunny Frosty has been moulting loads since we got him, after stroking him I feel like I've got more hair on me than he has on him :lol: we've been brushing him twice a day and it seems to be keeping on top of it finally! Although we haven't got patches.

Last week my Raven was moulting quite a bit and when I was done removing the loose fur, I had a pile that looked like a baby Raven!

Yes some rabbits can moult in a spectacular fashion!

I've found a Rosewood moulting comb that does a fantastic job of getting the hair out :D

Back