• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Inner turmoil: when to call it a day :(

ripminnie

Wise Old Thumper
I have been fighting with myself over whether to write this thread or not, as I don't want people to make me feel worse :( but I don't know where else to turn :(
Olly is really bad. He is in a lot of pain with his ears. He can't have drops as they make him ten times worse and cause him more pain. I am not putting him through a GA. He will not take anything by syringe. Yesterday he stopped eating, I took him to vets last night and he was maxed out on metacam. He started eating within an hour. He ate enough for me to relax. This morning he ate his soggy pellets after some persuasion, and some dandelions/parsley. By lunchtime the metacam had clearly worn off and he wouldn't eat again. Back to vets tonight for another metacam/emeprid injection. Same thing, ate something shortly after getting home. I can't take him to the vets for injections every day to keep him eating/alive :( he has other problems too, he is self-harming (I think) due to his ears, and has a sludgy bladder too. My little man is going through it :( I don't know if it's time to say enough is enough :( he hates going to the vets. He hates being picked up. He loves snuggles. It's so difficult when he picks up after the metacam. But that can't be maintained, and his ears have been an issue since he was 12 weeks old (now 6.5 yrs). I love him so much but don't want him to be suffering.

I'm sorry you an olly are going through this difficult time. I'm sure lots of us, me included, have agonised over this decision, it really is the most difficult decision to make.
Only you can decide, but I recall my vet saying to me when I was at this same crossroads, that he has never had anyone say to him they made the decision too early, only that they left it too late. This did give me some comfort at the time, and the courage to make that decision.
Sending you and olly big hugs xx

I'm so sorry :cry: I can't advise, but I'm sending lots of vibes to him and hugs for you xx

I went through similar when we thought about letting Penfold go to a 'better place' and believe me, nobody will give you a hard time as you have his best interests at heart. Personally, I believe that you're the only one that can make that decision as you know him best. I'm sure others will give advice re medication etc. and handling but I just wanted you to know you're not alone xxx

Thanks guys. And TD86, it was the expected advice about medication/handling that made me hesitate about writing the thread :( his ears will never get better, I know this. I really appreciate all the comments so far, they are helping. I hate this :(

For me, I think it's a case of looking at their quality of life as they had it versus what you have to put them through to get better and kind of looking at it as if it were you or someone you love as we don't get to make a decision for humans. I had discussions with my OH before we made the decision as he thought that because she was eating, drinking and toileting, she was fine, although somewhat disabled. My argument was that she couldn't run around like she loved to, she had to struggle to get to her food or drink and couldn't run straight up to us like she used to which she also loved. She could barely move. It broke my heart that one of her last moments in my garden before I took her to the vets was I wiggled a treat in front of her and although her back legs weren't working properly, she crawled up her ramp using front paws to get to me and the treat (I must say her back end was being constantly hit by flies at this point which helped my decision) and that's when I took her to the vet although she didn't mind being picked up by me.

Mr Diggle hates being picked up so I do feel fortunate that my girls were tolerant xx

I'm sorry that you and Olly are going through such a hard time :(
When Hiro was poorly we couldn't get any oral drugs into him at all and taking him the vets really stressed him out. We asked for injectable Metacam to save on vet visits and our vet was happy to teach us how to inject. We found it a lot easier for him and even now we ask for injectable everything when any problems crop up with him.
Maybe that would be something to consider whilst you are making your decision. Xxx

I'm sorry that you and Olly are going through such a hard time :(
When Hiro was poorly we couldn't get any oral drugs into him at all and taking him the vets really stressed him out. We asked for injectable Metacam to save on vet visits and our vet was happy to teach us how to inject. We found it a lot easier for him and even now we ask for injectable everything when any problems crop up with him.
Maybe that would be something to consider whilst you are making your decision. Xxx

Thanks, I already do this with Daisy, when needs be, she is really good and just sits there. Olly will not sit still though, and I have no one to help me :(

So after making the decision that I would have Olly put to sleep today, it's very very hard to watch him eating his breakfast :( he's trying, bless him :( I know he doesn't want to leave me, but I can't stop him suffering :( if he eats his banana with metacam in, I'll wait... god I hate this :(

So after making the decision that I would have Olly put to sleep today, it's very very hard to watch him eating his breakfast :( he's trying, bless him :( I know he doesn't want to leave me, but I can't stop him suffering :( if he eats his banana with metacam in, I'll wait... god I hate this :(

Thinking of you and sending hugs xx

He really enjoyed his floor snuggle this morning :cry: :cry: :cry:

:love: he has had a great life. I am sure you have a very good rabbit vet as I remember, if you are unsure about when is the right time, you could ask the vets advice on it? I know it is very difficult:cry:

Thinking of you today. I had to make that decision with my lovely Willow, she was still eating sometimes although very ill. Looking back, I realise I let her go on too long, couldn't bear to let her go, but I know now I did the right thing in the end.
Sending hugs. Xx

It gets worse :cry: I just called the vets to book Olly in this morning, but it's a vet I can't stand, he has no people skills whatsoever and is useless with rabbits :( a different vet who is ok only starts consulting at 4.30 as he's operating all day. So I'm booked in at 4.45. Didn't want to leave it all day :cry: I'm a mess now :cry:

It gets worse :cry: I just called the vets to book Olly in this morning, but it's a vet I can't stand, he has no people skills whatsoever and is useless with rabbits :( a different vet who is ok only starts consulting at 4.30 as he's operating all day. So I'm booked in at 4.45. Didn't want to leave it all day :cry: I'm a mess now :cry:

:cry: I think it is best to wait for the vet that you like. Can someone come to be with you? Hope you can keep busy. Hugs xx

Sorry you are in this awful position. I know what it's like but at the end of the day you also have to think of yourself. You give of yourself so much for your rabbits so you have no need to feel bad about that.

I've been quietly following.
I'm so sorry you're having to go through this but I agree it's best to wait for a vet you prefer.
Sending you lots of comforting vibes and a nose rub for Olly

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Back