PDA

View Full Version : Interview: Val, Rescue Worker & BRC Breeder

Tamsin
10-09-2004, 04:37 PM
10th September 2004, 7pm

Would you like to introduce yourself Val and then we'll let the questions begin :D

Tamsin
10-09-2004, 07:01 PM
Ready when you are :D

taylor v 109
10-09-2004, 07:03 PM
Hi my name is val and im here to answer your questions

anon101
10-09-2004, 07:05 PM
Hi Val,

Are members allowed to ask questons or it is just the mods?

Louise

taylor v 109
10-09-2004, 07:06 PM
Am i on the right page

shazlew
hiya i did wonder that too :D

shazlew
you are val think its all a bit slow tonight :D

Tamsin
10-09-2004, 07:07 PM
Everyone can ask questions :D

I'll start it off... How did you start breeding?

bunnyhuggger
10-09-2004, 07:07 PM
Hi Val :D

I'm Lynda and I run a small rabbit rescue centre in Arbroath in Scotland.

I was just wondering if the 'pet rabbits' owned by non-brc registered owners are advised to have their bunnies vaccinated before bringing them to the rabbit shows? Or if it is part of the provision that they have to have this done before entering their bun in the pet section?

taylor v 109
10-09-2004, 07:08 PM
Yes

anon101
10-09-2004, 07:10 PM
What breed/s of Rabbit do you breed Val?

Louise

taylor v 109
10-09-2004, 07:10 PM
Sorry the answer is no to that its not a rule

taylor v 109
10-09-2004, 07:11 PM
I breed dwarf lops and mini lops

Adele
10-09-2004, 07:12 PM
Hi there Val and thank you for joining.
How did you start Breeding (Quote Tamsin), and how many years have you been breeding bunnies for?
Tell us about the very first bunnies you breed? Did everything go to plan, any problems you experienced and what happened to the babies?

taylor v 109
10-09-2004, 07:12 PM
Im a bit slow on the typing sorry

Bob
10-09-2004, 07:13 PM
Good evening Val - hat's of to you for doing this!

taylor v 109
10-09-2004, 07:14 PM
Ive been breeding rabbits for about ten years the firs rabbit i breed had 6 babys and no probs at all and im sorry to say at that time they went to the pet shop, ive seen the light since then

anon101
10-09-2004, 07:16 PM
I've got a Mini Lop. She's a spayed doe. She's a little temperamental. :)

I've got a friend who's a breeder. She breed's Mini Rex and Mini Lop's. She say's the Mini Rex are better mother's, produce better litters and generaly have better temperaments then Mini Lops.

Would you say that's true?

Louise

Tamsin
10-09-2004, 07:16 PM
Take your time, no hurry :)

So how have your homing policies changed since then? Where/how do you home babies now?

taylor v 109
10-09-2004, 07:17 PM
Very soon after this i met a good friend who went to shows and i very soon got hooked on showing

Denny
10-09-2004, 07:19 PM
Hi Val

Have you ever refused to sell a bunny to a prospective buyer.
If yes, what was your reasons?

Rexy bexy
10-09-2004, 07:20 PM
hi val,
i have a few question for u
where abouts do u lives and how much space have u got for ur rabbis?

what is the set up for ur hutches and do u have mechanical heating/cooloing systems?

what u ur bunnies on feed?

what clubs r u in?

Do u judge?

do u have any other pets?

how many rescue bunnies do u have and r they kep seperate to ur show and breeding bunnies. Also how did u start u rescuing bunnies?

becky

taylor v 109
10-09-2004, 07:23 PM
Ive not much experience with mini rex ive only 2 but i like their temprement on a par with mini lops does of any breed can be hormonal lol.I dont have many babys that are not needed by me but if i have i home them to other breeders or privetly . Any rabbit that leaves here as rescue or mine goes with a lot of advice on their care heath and jabs and the understanding that they can come back whenever and im at there dissposal [phone ]for any questions

taylor v 109
10-09-2004, 07:25 PM
I have refused someone and told them to come back when they had found out about how to look after a rabbit

Adele
10-09-2004, 07:26 PM
I think its great that you give ongoing advice when the babies leave you Val..do you miss them and get especially attached to any?
Have you got an all time favourite Bunny? If so, what is so special about this bunny?

Lizzie
10-09-2004, 07:26 PM
I was wondering about your potential new owners:with both the spaniels I have which I have bought from people who have bred them, the breeders were very keen for me to keep in touch and to know that the puppy was OK? Do you feel the same way about your kits when they go, do you like to keep in touch with them?

Sorry to bombard you and thanks for doing this. :D

taylor v 109
10-09-2004, 07:30 PM
i live in london and have a large garden which over half is rabbit only space. i have 2 large sheds 1 for my rabbits and 1 for rescue rabbits

all my cages are built in and varie in size for each rabbit i dont use any systems as such i have a few fans and lots of fresh air in summer which blows through sheds
all my rabbits eat clark and butcher rabbit pellets hay some readygrass and the odd bit of vegs mostly carrots

i am a memeber of brc and local show clubs and mini and dwarf lops lop clubs

no i do not. i steward at shows as i like to handle lots of types of rabbits
yes a cat and a dog now[/b]

taylor v 109
10-09-2004, 07:32 PM
I have about 60 of my own rabbits and space for about 25 rescues, the rescues are kept in a seperate shed. I have been doing the rescues for about 4yrs it started because my best friend had been but was pushed for time having a young family mine are grown and im home 24 7 so i thought ive got the space and the time to help so i offered and know i handle all the rabbits and do the rehoming

Wabbit
10-09-2004, 07:34 PM
Do your rabbits get any exercise? If so, how often do you let them out of their hutches?

What hutch sizes do you have?

Jenny

hazelbuny
Could I ask Val how she funds the rescue work ??

anon101
That's a lot of Rabbits!!!!! :shock:

Do you let some of them out of there hutches in a run or the garden?

Louise

taylor v 109
10-09-2004, 07:38 PM
I do have my favs at the moment my fav is a chin dwarf lop called monarch he is 2 and i breed him he has won best lop for me 3 times but its his temp that rearly gets me he loves his mum and likes kisses and cuddles Having a lot of rabbits dosent mean i carnt love them all but some get to your heart. When a rabbit of mine goes to a new home im always worried about them and i ask them to keep in touch some do some dont . a lot come to me for a holiday withch is great

shazlew
10-09-2004, 07:39 PM
val doesnt have to fund the rescue work herself as she works within animal samaritans!
and they fund her she has to buy extras thats all and do the work sorry thought i would join in sorry again :D

Adele
10-09-2004, 07:40 PM
Oh thats great Val, and Monarch sounds really cute.
So you fund your Rescue by providing Rabbit Boarding and through some financial support from Animal Samaritans then?

taylor v 109
10-09-2004, 07:40 PM
Yes they do come out but they have to take it in turns they come out in runs that are concrete floored or they would get very dirty and when showing clean feet are a must.

Wabbit
10-09-2004, 07:42 PM
So, they never get to run on grass or dig?

taylor v 109
10-09-2004, 07:46 PM
The samaritons provide for the rascues and the boarding helps me for my rabbits, I do have grass but its used by my does and the rescues rabbits

taylor v 109
10-09-2004, 07:47 PM
The samaritons provide for the rescues and the boarding helps me for my rabbits, I do have grass but its used by my does and the rescues rabbits

taylor v 109
10-09-2004, 07:49 PM
sorry about that i pressed more than once it wasent going fast enough

shazlew
10-09-2004, 07:49 PM
although this interview is a very good idea it helps build bridge between too sides so to say? hopefully not all breeders and rescues are the same!
i have watched some of the questions being put to val one about exercise i know that they do come out other than on hard standing runs as i went to collect a bunny from her once and found him hiding in bushes covered in weeds and dirt been digging for hours lol i think she refers to the no grass runners as her present show buns?
some rabbits are always digging i have seen the holes lol :lol:
depends on who i am afraid i think?
as a breeder myself i also show and always have dirty feet buns as mine love dirt too much :?

taylor v 109
10-09-2004, 07:50 PM
sorry about that i pressed more than once it wasent going fast enough

bunnyhuggger
you're doing fine Val, I sometimes have that problem with my computer :lol:

Tamsin
Sorry, different subject ... what are your views on petshops and selling animals? Should selling animals be stopped, more regulations added or something else?

Tam

Adele
Have you ever had a House Rabbit? If not, how do you feel about people keeping bunnies in their homes and letting them watch television :lol: ??(or sleeping on the bed like one of our rabbits!)

Tamsin
10-09-2004, 07:53 PM
Your welcome to inlcude your views too Sharon, as you say breeders aren't all the same so its good to hear from different ones :)

rngpwelfare
10-09-2004, 07:53 PM
What is the oldest rabbit you have had?

Wabbit
10-09-2004, 07:55 PM
I have to say that I find it really sad that rabbits are kept in small pens/cages and not allowed access to grass or sunshine, for fear that they may become dirty or their coats are bleached by the sun.

Rabbits are far happier doing 'rabbity' things, and would prefer a hop around the garden/house to spending a day sitting in a wire cage at a show :(

shazlew
10-09-2004, 07:55 PM
thanks tam no i am just a wee bit bored will stay for moral support lol but wont steal her limelight wanna see her fingers hurt 2moro lol.
i may add now and then as vals is my 2nd home lol

shazlew
10-09-2004, 08:00 PM
I have to say that I find it really sad that rabbits are kept in small pens/cages and not allowed access to grass or sunshine, for fear that they may become dirty or their coats are bleached by the sun.

Rabbits are far happier doing 'rabbity' things, and would prefer a hop around the garden/house to spending a day sitting in a wire cage at a show :(

this would depend on the person breeder in genral vals are as much pets as the next persons and do come out!
i want to breed a champ like all the rest in show world but my rabbits are rabbits as they should be i dont feel a rabbit should be living in many of the situations they are kept in now days!
and all my buns do enjoy or appear to have asked them they didnt reply :shock: we went to a show only a week ago and all the buns i took lapped up the fuss but mine are kept like that we always have people in and out so they are used to mega fuss as is vals.
badley handled nervous scared buns would not enjoy being on display to public for long periods of time this is why most fanciers need to spend such a large amount of time with there buns

Tamsin

Please be careful making assumptions like that. Many pet rabbit owners don't give their rabbits access to grass (house rabbits for example). It has already been pointed out they spend time outside and I'm sure small cages are not universal.

Tam

taylor v 109
I dont like pet shops at all they do not knoe enough about the animals they are selling and the condoting are not good i would not use them . I think people should go to breeders for their animals i know they are not all good but i pride myself on the good temprement of my rabbits they are well raised and make loving pets . The people who breed to sell to them to not care that they are heathy and used to being handled. There should be a lot more rules for pet shops and training for the staff. None of my rabbits have ever come back only to visit the rabbits that come to rescue are almost alwasys from pet shops and are not friendly and they put off the children that are their owners. Then there are the people that have just got another toy that the kids have got tired of

taylor v 109
10-09-2004, 08:03 PM
I did have a rabbit as a house rabbit once but she took a liking to wallpaper and then to the plaster underneath i wouldnt have had a house left. The right rabbit though ad its a different matter they are good companion. Some of the rescues do end up as house rabbits

Adele
10-09-2004, 08:05 PM
I did have a rabbit as a house rabbit once but she took a liking to wallpaper :lol:
Yes Val we have a wall paper stripper too in our cottage! :lol:

shazlew
10-09-2004, 08:05 PM
also to add to my last post which val may not mention tonight myself val my son and a fellow breeder who isnt on pc do rabbit displays we call them at schools fetes and other such events.
we take along a large amount of rabbits both show and brave rescues which we talk about give out imfo about and sometimes find homes through these events to promote rabbits not as pull around toys but as living things this is sticking buns in cages for the good of others it works well rabbits get spoilt and helps a few all over the place!
these events do help many rabbits as we give out our numbers and such ask them to bring there buns along to see us after shows and we can check if these animals are getting a fair deal out of life!
the sad thing is the worst buns i see come from pet owners not breeders!
after all you cannot show a rabbit who has 3 inch nails over grown teeth and mites or a snotty nose the rabbit has to be fit in tip top health and clean and cared for where as many pet owners need do nothing so hence poor bun suffers!

taylor v 109
10-09-2004, 08:08 PM
I did once have a house rabbit but she took a liking to the plaster on the walls and i couldent get here out of it. My rabbits do come out daily in the sunshine just not allowed to get grass stained There cages are sometimes bigger than the average house rabbit has

shazlew
we always have a rabbit indoors not living full time but in to play!
but i find myself i like the out where they should be living in the freash air!
i have nothing against house buns we had blossom indoors till she died and she was the bunny from hell :?

anon101
Is inter breeding normal in Rabbits being breed for show?

Louise

shazlew
10-09-2004, 08:10 PM
Is inter breeding normal in Rabbits being breed for show?

Louise

i think this would depend on the breeder you need to know a lot about it as done wrong could do more harm than good!

taylor v 109
10-09-2004, 08:10 PM
The oldest rabbit ive had died at the age of 7

Mubby
10-09-2004, 08:11 PM
* pops head in for a nosey * :wave:

taylor v 109
10-09-2004, 08:16 PM
Yes its a bit strang me doing both but i thought i could do both i cut my breeding to a min so i dont end up with unwanted bunnies and ive got the time space and the love of animals to want to do the rescues. Ido not add to the problem and i tye to edgucate the people i meet witch is a lot about the resposabilities of taking on a rabbit.

shazlew
10-09-2004, 08:16 PM
WABBIT
i think you may of missed val does work with animal samaritans which is a very large animal rescue!
not rspca but they hope one day they have plans!
she works hard with her rescue buns as much as her show buns!
all are treated the same cept maybe for her odd few real specail ones :wink:

bunnymad
10-09-2004, 08:17 PM
Hi there.

So your bun has grass stained feet :!: How do you clean them. I think some use toothpaste :) Which seems harmless and a good way to clean them. What do you do?

Thanks

bronie

shazlew
i dont think anyone needs to be removed yet people want to know about breeders and only fair they get to ask questions right?

rngpwelfare
what happens to the rabbits that are to old to breed any more?

Do you keep them or do they move into the rescue side of your set up.

taylor v 109
10-09-2004, 08:18 PM
There is interbreediny only sons and daughters back to parents siblings are not breed together as you would get genetic problems

shazlew
10-09-2004, 08:18 PM
they best way to keep feet clean is spray buns feet daily with water and they will keep them clean them selfs and i think 90% breeders will use this method :D

taylor v 109
10-09-2004, 08:23 PM
I will only breed a doe uptill 2 and a half and then when there is a lull in the rescues its rehomed as a pet some have gone to friends and family. The rescues take prioraty when it comes to rehoming mine are not in a bad home and in urgent need of a home i can wait. Washing feet with washing up liquid or a dry shampoo

bunnymad
10-09-2004, 08:23 PM
In a show, are owners of wild buns (that have been rescued) allowed to show over there?

Here in New Zealand, some will allow me to show my Bugzee in the pet section of a club show and others will not. Council shows will not allow me at all or even take her near a show :cry: Why :?:

Why are wild buns frowned upon?

Thanks

bronie

Jules
10-09-2004, 08:24 PM
Hi Guys, just popping in any being nosey really :lol:

I am a bunny owner and have just fostered my first one (looking to rehome him - Rolo, advertising plug HE HE).

I do not know that much about the breeding side of rabbit ownership but would like to comment on how refreshing it is to hear that Val has combined breeding with rescue.

Is this common, do breeders usually rescue as well?

Jules

Adele
10-09-2004, 08:25 PM
Do you groom your bunnies regularly, if so, what type of brushes/ combs do you use...have you any good tips for keeping bunnies coats clean and glossy?

shazlew
10-09-2004, 08:26 PM
bronie
i dont think anyone has ever shown a wild rabbits over here someone correct me if i am wrong?
we have let all ours back in to the wild and if not poss they went to wildlife centre.
i shouldnt think what the rabbit was would matter maybe if its been tame for a long while and had all its jabs then i doubt it would be a prob

rngpwelfare
Is there any rule about showing neutered does.

I know that neutered bucks are only allowed in the pet section but is there any rule about the does, as no-one would know if they had been done.

taylor v 109
I have no experience with wild rabbits as far as i know you could enter your rabbit as a pet in this country not as a show rabbit as it has to be rung

shazlew
10-09-2004, 08:29 PM
i dont think it would matter if your buck or doe was done i am sure you can show a buck which has been done in main show fellow breeders watching let me know?
i have so opps if i shouldnt of oh well :lol:

taylor v 109
10-09-2004, 08:30 PM
I only know of 2 my friend and a very well known giant breeder who rescues and rehomes giants, i wouldent have thought many people have the time or space to do it . Grooming i dont have to much my rabbits are not long coated every other weekend when i shwo they are groomed i use a small toothed comb

bunnymad
10-09-2004, 08:30 PM
cough :oops: wild buns here are a huge pest :!: We couldn`t release Bugzee as she was to young, thanks to mums cat thinking she was a snak!! I`m allowed to keep her, just not allowed to release her. Not that I ever would think of doing so :!: I love both my house buns:)

We have had her a year next month (party party party :) )

bronie

shazlew
10-09-2004, 08:31 PM
only a rung rabbit could be put in main show or if it was a new breed unstanderdised (spelt wrong :) ) then it doesnt need to be rung all others are pet show only

taylor v 109
10-09-2004, 08:33 PM
Im not sure about a spayed doe i would not expect anyone to know. Does are not normaly shown because you would not take them out again once you had breed from her

shazlew
10-09-2004, 08:34 PM
unless you breed lionheads then only the does are worth showing :lol:

Adele
10-09-2004, 08:34 PM
Val how many shows do you enter a year roughly? How long does it take each day to care for your bunnies, and what is your daily routine?

taylor v 109
10-09-2004, 08:41 PM
I hope that these answeres have put your minds at rest a bit about breeders people who breed to show love their rabbits its hard work keeping them happy and heathy and our aim is just to improve the breed. There will always be people that shouldent be allowed to keep pets of any kind thats life. The people i have a grudge with are people that breed to try and make money out of it because they are the ones who cut corners trying to make a buck and not carring how they do it. Most of the people i have met and got to know have the utmost respect for theie rabbits and work long and hard to look after them.

Adele
10-09-2004, 08:46 PM
val you have brought a wonderful insight into your work, and you have certainly answered the questions really, really well.

Does any one else have any burning questions to ask Val before we end this interview, as Val must be getting tired tapping on the keyboard by now??
Are you okay out there Val??

anon101
10-09-2004, 08:46 PM
Why did you decide to show and breed rabbits Val?

Why not keep them just as pets and do rescue?

Louise

bunnymad
10-09-2004, 08:48 PM
Do clubs and the council advertise the shows rules, standards etc or are they mainly only given to ppl that join? Are they different for club and council shows?

thanks

bronie

taylor v 109
10-09-2004, 08:49 PM
In the morning i spend about 2-3 hours topping up bottles and cleaning out wee corners topping up hay balls tea break then looking everyone over checking babys etc . Tea time cleaning out anyone who rearly needs it feedinf bottles hay balls again. In the mean time leting rabbits have a turn in the runs and answering the phone. appointments during the day or evening for people who want to addopt a rabbit. 10 check everyone is okay bottle check. Twice a week everony has a total clean out this takes about 8 hrs. Lots of kissing and cuddles my son who is still living at home never sees me till the evening says i should move in down the sheds lol.

bunnymad
10-09-2004, 08:55 PM
Whats your thoughts on harness and leads on bunnies:?:

I have Bugzee running my daughter running around madly (at top speed if she had her way :lol: ) :lol:

Then I have Shadow who is quite happy to lie down 8) or just take things slowly. :)

bronie

taylor v 109
10-09-2004, 08:58 PM
Some swows may advertise localy but to hear about the show you would have to get the fur and feather mah or go on the show time list on the brc site. When i first went to a show i didnt have a clue whot it as alabout but i just loved it all those breeds lovely helpfull people and the chance to learn lots about keeping rabbits and then when you rearly get the bug the thrill of winning with a rabbit that you have breed. Not for everyone but i just love it .I go to shows every otherweek normaly sometimes 1 a week in the summer if its not to hot.

Tamsin
10-09-2004, 09:02 PM
Yes you have done a brilliant job of answering questions. Thank you very much :D

taylor v 109
10-09-2004, 09:03 PM
Ive got a rabbit that will walk on a lead and i walk him on the playing field at the back of my house , many rabbits will not though they dont get the hang of it

bunnymad
10-09-2004, 09:03 PM
Thanks for giving us your time and answers :D

I`m happy (at this stage) just being a pet house bunny owner looking forward to showing in the pet section of shows (if allowed :!: :x )

I never knew buns were such darlings and have such cool personalities till I got my rescue bun/s.

Thanks so much

bronie

taylor v 109
10-09-2004, 09:06 PM
Rabbits have so much to offer it just takes the right person to bring it out, you would be welcome at any show that has a pet class .Try a find your nearest show via the brc perhaps ring the organiser and ask if they put on pet classes if they do they will be happy to advise you.

taylor v 109
10-09-2004, 09:07 PM
Thank you for a good evening ive enjoyed it even if my finger hasent im going to go now as im off to a show tommorow thank you for being welcoming

taylor v 109
10-09-2004, 09:10 PM
Thank you tamsin a good night hope it was okay i think it was goodnight.

bunnymad
10-09-2004, 09:13 PM
Wishes it was as easy here in New Zealand :!:

I Have entered Shadow into a club show here next weekend, sadly as he was a released on the road bun, I have no idea on his breed.

Due to having a wild bun (cotton tail) also, they are trying to tell me hes also cotton tail which I don`t think he is (look at the photos) as they have different body shape etc. Any ways as I was saying, some are trying to stop me entering him as they think hes cotton tail, going by a photo of each of my buns :shock: . I`m hoping by entering him, they can tell me what breed he is rather than going by a photo :!:

After all we all have the :bunny: :love:

bronie

rooster
10-09-2004, 09:18 PM
even though i didn't ask any question thank you for knackering your fingers for us :D

bunnyhuggger
10-09-2004, 09:23 PM
Thanks Val, hope your fingers recover soon!!!! :D

bunnymad
10-09-2004, 09:35 PM
Wishes it was as easy here in New Zealand :!:

I Have entered Shadow into a club show here next weekend, sadly as he was a released on the road bun, I have no idea on his breed.

Due to having a wild bun (cotton tail) also, they are trying to tell me hes also cotton tail which I don`t think he is (look at the photos) as they have different body shape etc. Any ways as I was saying, some are trying to stop me entering him as they think hes cotton tail, going by a photo of each of my buns :shock: . I`m hoping by entering him, they can tell me what breed he is rather than going by a photo :!:

After all we all have the :bunny: :love:

bronie

anon101
10-09-2004, 09:37 PM
Thanks Val!

Louise

bunnymad
10-09-2004, 09:38 PM
:oops: looks around :oops: hit the wrong button :!:

Sorry about the double post :!:

bronie

bunnyhuggger
10-09-2004, 09:49 PM
http://pages.prodigy.net/indianahawkeye/newpage12/1.gif

rngpwelfare
10-09-2004, 10:01 PM
Thank you Val it was nice hearing your views.

Adele
11-09-2004, 12:06 AM
Bless you Val for taking part in the Interview, it was fascinating to hear about your work, and you have certainly helped clarify a few things in my mind, and no doubt other folks too. :D

a huge Thank You for giving your time and great answers. :D