• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

HELP need advice

without_halo

Alpha Buck
A local pet shop to me are selling 4.5 week old babies (you did hear me correctly) neatherland dwarfxdwarf lop.

Am I right in assuming that that is WAY too young for the kits to be away from their mother

I don't know what to do... if I have the space and money I would take all 4 of them

Contact your local council (telephone directory) they licence petshops and I believe selling babies at that age contravines the licence. If you can get the petshop to put how old the babies are in writing (ask them to write down the details for you cos you think your friend might be interested ;) ) or get a second witness to them saying thats how old they are first as evidence even better.

Tam

I will do that.... I think as hubby and I are in town tomorrow we might just pop in there and get them to say how old they are again.

It is breaking my heart...... I rather give them little ones a new home, than an older one. I just wish we had the space and money to take all of them.

have spoken to the council... they are not allowed to listen to my complaint over the phone.. they want it in writing... So I am going to write them a letter this afternoon

:roll: If it needs to be by letter then if you can get someone else to hear the age too then that would probably help as they may have been sold before they go and look.

It might be worth contacting the rspca (tel: 0870 55 55 999) and seeing what they say but I'm guessing they'll say contact the council. You never know though :)

Well done for taking action!

Tam

have spoken to the RSPCA, they say between 42 and 56 days they can be separate from their mum. As they are only about 40 days they are going to send someone out to have a lot. I will admit that they were kept in were good condition it was just their age that bothered me. I still might take hubby there this weekend and if we came afford, we might take a couple to at least give the a very good and lvoing home.

It may be a case of whoever supplies the animals has handed them over for sale and the owner has no idea that 4.5 weeks is too young (though the responsible thing would be know things like that!).

Hopefully a visit from the rspca will set him straight and perhaps you could mntion your concerns about the age when you visit. I think BRC age minimum is 8 weeks and thats a good number to quote. Yes, they may be able to survive without their mum earlier but the stress of a petshop/new home/change of diet at that age will not do them a lot of good.

Tam

its people who sell to pet shops like that that need shooting what chance do them poor babies have?
none of mine leave till they are 12 weeks at least!!!!

shazlew said:
its people who sell to pet shops like that that need shooting what chance do them poor babies have?
none of mine leave till they are 12 weeks at least!!!!

I think shooting's a bit extreme! :?

Educating would be a better bet.

Louise

Back