• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can yogurt treats kill rabbits?

Star-Dust

New Kit
I know someone whose rabbit passed away a few days ago. He didn't die of old age because he was only 2 and she said she doesn't know why he died. She said she fed him regular pellets, carrots sometimes, and yogurt treats. I've read other places that they weren't good for bunnies, but could they kill them? :?: (I'm trying to help her figure out why her bunny died.)

I think it's highly unlikely yoghurt treats would kill a rabbit, whilst there is no denying that they are not a suitable treat I don't think they would cause death.
Was the rabbit vaccinated up to date?

I used to give my buns these :oops: - until I realised that they are not good from them - my buns were fine so it's unlikely this is what caused your friends bun to die.

RVHD2 is known it cause sudden death in rabbits - so it could have been this if bunny wasn't vaccinated. And other things too - heart attack, stroke etc.

Only a PM will tell for sure though.

I know someone whose rabbit passed away a few days ago. He didn't die of old age because he was only 2 and she said she doesn't know why he died. She said she fed him regular pellets, carrots sometimes, and yogurt treats. I've read other places that they weren't good for bunnies, but could they kill them? :?: (I'm trying to help her figure out why her bunny died.)

I very much doubt the drops had anything to do with the death, but it's upsetting not to know why, I agree.

I am sorry that your friend lost her Bunny. It is highly unlikely that it was due to the Yoghurt drops. That said, they are not really a suitable treat for a Rabbit, even though some are actually advertised as being so. As rachylou, Limit and Fellie have mentioned, a Post Mortem examination is the only way to ascertain the most likely cause of death.

If your friend is thinking of getting another Rabbit at some stage perhaps you could pass on the information contained in this link to the Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund's website:

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/?section=leaflets.html

RIP Bunny xx

Back