• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Small pet store near me no longer selling pets

Towsbuns

Mama Doe
Went in to a local pet feed supplier the other day looking for the Natural Pet Food Company Guinea Pig Food (no luck). They no longer have their live pet area. I managed to have a chat with the owner and commented on the fact that there were no animals (I think he then thought I was looking for an animal). His response was excellent. He said that he felt that it was no longer necessary and that lots of people no longer like to see pets in pet shops but he said that he had a good relationship with the local RSPCA rescue centre (for which he offered me a number) and could give me details of local breeders if required and that he had started a notice board for local people to advertise their pets.
I got Honey from the RSPCA rescue that he mentioned and, I know, that they recommended that I went to him for hutches and runs (used to offer discount for the RSPCA buns) so, I would imagine, that their influence had pushed this issue a bit.

Wow, what an enlightened man! I really can't see how pet supply stores can't do well without selling pets, as there is such a big business in pet paraphenalia, foods, toys, etc etc.

Kiwibunny said:
Wow, what an enlightened man! I really can't see how pet supply stores can't do well without selling pets, as there is such a big business in pet paraphenalia, foods, toys, etc etc.

good point!

This sound's great!

Our nearest pet shop does not sell live animal's. A good thing really as its run by an assortment of young ladies running a corner shop and newsagents which they take in turns to run.

They've got some good gear in the Pet Shop but there certainly not up on pet knoweledge.

Louise

The local pet shop that I use does not sell aminals but have a realy good knowledge on their care and requirements.

The staff are all really knowledgeable and always willing to help. They also have a great ordering policy, "if they make it we can get it!"!!

I had my two 5 foot hutches ordered by them and they are great for outdoor use, no leakes, mould or warping of the wood (what a nice difference from the like of Pets at Home :D )

Back