• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Thought I'd lost William this morning!

capable

Mama Doe
And I mean lost, lost! Came downstairs for the normal routine of breakfast on, take cat and dog into the garden for morning business, check and feed bunnies. Rounded the corner, and the door of William's hutch was lying completely open, with no rabbit in sight I have no idea how it happened, the catches on those doors are so stiff I never actually use them! Just as potential scenarios whirl in my mind, and I quickly reorder the day's plans around rabbit hunting, a frantic ball of white fluff comes tearing towards me from the back corner of the garden, right under the noses of the cat and dog who are very firmly told to 'LEAVE IT!'.

He must have heard the back door open for me coming to feed them, and came in for his breakfast. I still have no idea how the door got opened in the first place, after being checked before bed last night. He was incredibly glad to be back home, and is a little damp but uninjured, thank goodness. I don't know what I would've done if he'd just vanished, or been got by something! Blooming rabbits!

Gosh, you and he were so lucky. I would fit bolts to the top and bottom of the doors, whatever managed to open the door will likely be back.

I know, it doesn't bear thinking about. I've already attached small padlocks to the doors of both boy's hutches (they're the same make), because I never use the doors as the bolts are so stiff, I take the roofs off instead.

Oh Crikey. Yes, first job today........fit major heavy duty bolts. Can anyone easily get into your garden?

Not easily. I'm a mid terrace, and my garden is flanked on both sides by a full street of neighbouring gardens. To the rear I have a wall, with a considerable drop into a gated walkway that separates another lot of back gardens. The only ways into my garden would be either through the house, through the gate into the walkway with a ladder to get over the wall, or to walk along the top of the wall from a neighbouring property which my cat can just about manage!

And I mean lost, lost! Came downstairs for the normal routine of breakfast on, take cat and dog into the garden for morning business, check and feed bunnies. Rounded the corner, and the door of William's hutch was lying completely open, with no rabbit in sight I have no idea how it happened, the catches on those doors are so stiff I never actually use them! Just as potential scenarios whirl in my mind, and I quickly reorder the day's plans around rabbit hunting, a frantic ball of white fluff comes tearing towards me from the back corner of the garden, right under the noses of the cat and dog who are very firmly told to 'LEAVE IT!'.

He must have heard the back door open for me coming to feed them, and came in for his breakfast. I still have no idea how the door got opened in the first place, after being checked before bed last night. He was incredibly glad to be back home, and is a little damp but uninjured, thank goodness. I don't know what I would've done if he'd just vanished, or been got by something! Blooming rabbits!

Goodness me :shock:

Your heart must've almost stopped as mine certainly missed a beat reading your post ....

So glad to hear William is OK. I wonder how long he'd been out?

Back