• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Older Rabbit Insurance Premiums? ?

nickybunny1

Mama Doe
Who r your buns insured with ?

I am going to have to insure my new Rex girl who is 4 years 9 months. I get her in 4 weeks.

My vet used to reccommend Pet Plan but now have moves to Agria. I got a quote from Agria today at around £13/month. I asked how much I could expect the premium to be at 8 or 9 years old and they said could be £30!! That's too expensive, I could do up to £20/ month.

So those of you with insured older buns, who is your insurer and how much r you paying per month ?? Pet Plan quoted around £12 per month but I wonder how much this is likely to go up as my bunny gets older,?

Petplan for the older bunnies. Erin's is £237 a year but the excess is £110 + 20%. I've kept Erin's insurance going as she has regular dentals. (She's aged 9)

I've cancelled Esme and Tinkerbell's insurance, which were similar to Erin's as the monthly premium was ridiculous when I considered the excess and how likely I was to claim/how much I'd get back after the whooping excess etc.

Rudy is a tad older than them, (9 going on 10) and his insurance strangely is only £159 per year (also Petplan)

I have Dinky insured with Pets at Home (policy as it stood no longer available). She is now 9 and premium is about £125 with £75 excess + 10%. I will be keeping that on as long as it doesn't go as steep at the PP ones.

I won't be taking any more bunnies on for a considerable amount of time given that I don't feel confident with the insurance cover for older bunnies, but that's as I own many bunnies, for the odd one or two I'd just grit my teeth and do it.

Last edited:
Thanks for this Bunny Buddy, I would be able to cope with one bun with this higher premium that Erins is , strange Rudys is less. What is the 20% all about? Yes I remember reading the P@H was good but now they don't do it .

Thanks for this Bunny Buddy, I would be able to cope with one bun with this higher premium that Erins is , strange Rudys is less. What is the 20% all about? Yes I remember reading the P@H was good but now they don't do it .

As well as the Excess, you have to pay a percentage of the bill: in this case 20%. I finally stopped insuring my two because the premium, excess and extra % became ridiculous as they got older.

With Petplan once rabbits reach the age of 7 (the renewal after 7th birthday) they also make you pay 20% after the set excess! This is something I didn't know when I took out my Petplan policies. I would have insured with Pets at Home, had I known. Rudy is male and the other 3 with higher premiums were female, don't know if that's a factor. I did insure Rudy with PP a few years after the others as I swapped him to P@H and then chickened out and moved him back just before his 5th birthday :roll:

NCI Insurance is good for older bunnies. I'm with them now since other insurers think Doughnut is old as she's 5!

20% of the bill !! That's terrible, and sneaky. Glad u mentioned this. Yes Cpayne, have been looking at NCI, think I will ring them back for another chat.

Did you swap from another plan, or have you only ever been with NCI?

I was with Petplan initially then their premium went up a lot so went with helpucover or something like that. When she got to 5 their excess was about 20/25% of the cost plus something like £50. Called around and a lot said they wouldn't insure her so I went with NCI as only about £50 excess.

Last edited:
I rang NCI and git a quote for around £10. And it was around around £10 for a 7 year old bun. They said they don't cover reoccurring conditions? ?? And that stasis would be viewed on a case by case basis. I am gonna ring Petplan to see what they say.

I rang NCI and git a quote for around £10. And it was around around £10 for a 7 year old bun. They said they don't cover reoccurring conditions? ?? And that stasis would be viewed on a case by case basis. I am gonna ring Petplan to see what they say.

Ooh, that's worth looking into .. I have two more buns that I was just about thinking of insuring with NCI :?

Exotic Direct were like that - once they had paid out for a condition, ti was excluded. So I guess that's termed NOT 'lifetime cover'?

MM you're right - it's not a lifetime cover.
It's a condition cover which is the worst policy you can get, so explains why it's so cheap. Imagine if I got a condition cover.... they'd pay the first £300 for Phoebe's dental then every 6 to 7 weeks I'd have to pay £250 out of my own pocket.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I think you have to be careful with PetPlan, too, and ensure you choose the lifetime cover policy.

It's a condition cover which is the worst policy you can get, so explains why it's so cheap. Imagine if I got a condition cover.... they'd pay the first £300 for Phoebe's dental then every 6 to 7 weeks I'd have to pay £250 out of my own pocket.

I've just done a dummy quote for NCI and it is definitely life time cover on the page I was using. They even talk in the sales pitch about covering conditions for long-term/life etc.

Yes, well that's not the sort of thing I'm looking for either.

I've had Exotic Direct in the past, and it suited me, but I need to know what I'm buying :)

Ooh, that's worth looking into .. I have two more buns that I was just about thinking of insuring with NCI :?

Exotic Direct were like that - once they had paid out for a condition, ti was excluded. So I guess that's termed NOT 'lifetime cover'?

You have the option to choose lifetime cover when you get a quote from NCI - just had a look at their website.

Back