• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Observations on supervising my bunnies' lawn time U/D Cat and bunny pics post 5

keletkezes

Wise Old Thumper
Today is Lopsy and Aboleth's second time out on the lawn since, erm, October maybe? they were also out for a few hours last Thursday. I sit out with them now, because of next door's cat(s), so they don't get as long (not necessarily bad as the grass doesn't want to be massacred at this time of year and is pretty rich!). I let them out when they wake up in the afternoon (between 14:30 and 15:30) and they stay out until Matt gets home (17:30-18:00). I'm outside working, so it needs to be pretty dry!

I'm not so much worried that the cat will get them if it gets in: no cats have shown any signs of wanting to be on the lawn but Bandit was interested in wathcing the bunnies when they were out Thursday, and the bunnies have been very good at dashing back to/into the tunnel at any sign of danger, even with me sat outside (by the tunnel entrance). What I'm worried about is Bandit following them down the tunnel: no idea if he can, but he's dinky under his fluff! I sit by the tunnel entrance so I can get a hand in the way, or remove the tunnel from the hutch if necessary. Whenever Lopsy thinks something's wrong, he comes over and gives me the Disapproving stare: he seems to think I can/want to get rid of often-possibly-imaginary cats...! I encouraged Bandit to be in the garden last week, didn't chase him off, because I want him to ignore the bunnies, see them as uninteresting, like Frank does, and the bunnies were certainly uninterested in him!When he was watching them, they got bored after a bit of staring at him and carried on as normal! :lol:

We also don't want to stop the cats coming in as this is the only other garden they have: they've about 60sq ft of concrete patio in theirs, and then ours. The poo is annoying but it's not really hurting anyone :) It's not on the lawn, or anywhere else the bunnies go.

I'm also pleased to get them out as they're moulting and I've been told exercise is good for getting fluff through guts :D We've had brilliant binkies too: Aboleth's become a proper little showoff and reminds me of minilop1's posts about 'look at me, Mum'! She does that too :lol: I've got the radio on today, Planet Rock, and Lopsy went off on a MASSIVE binky to Motorhead's 'Ace of Spades'! He's got taste :)

I've taken a video I might post up later, and some photos, over in the Photo section. If I get another convenient break from reading Russian texts on metal music!

Last edited:
Today is Lopsy and Aboleth's second time out on the lawn since, erm, October maybe? they were also out for a few hours last Thursday. I sit out with them now, because of next door's cat(s), so they don't get as long (not necessarily bad as the grass doesn't want to be massacred at this time of year and is pretty rich!). I let them out when they wake up in the afternoon (between 14:30 and 15:30) and they stay out until Matt gets home (17:30-18:00). I'm outside working, so it needs to be pretty dry!

I'm not so much worried that the cat will get them if it gets in: no cats have shown any signs of wanting to be on the lawn but Bandit was interested in wathcing the bunnies when they were out Thursday, and the bunnies have been very good at dashing back to/into the tunnel at any sign of danger, even with me sat outside (by the tunnel entrance). What I'm worried about is Bandit following them down the tunnel: no idea if he can, but he's dinky under his fluff! I sit by the tunnel entrance so I can get a hand in the way, or remove the tunnel from the hutch if necessary. Whenever Lopsy thinks something's wrong, he comes over and gives me the Disapproving stare: he seems to think I can/want to get rid of often-possibly-imaginary cats...! I encouraged Bandit to be in the garden last week, didn't chase him off, because I want him to ignore the bunnies, see them as uninteresting, like Frank does, and the bunnies were certainly uninterested in him!When he was watching them, they got bored after a bit of staring at him and carried on as normal! :lol:

We also don't want to stop the cats coming in as this is the only other garden they have: they've about 60sq ft of concrete patio in theirs, and then ours. The poo is annoying but it's not really hurting anyone :) It's not on the lawn, or anywhere else the bunnies go.

I'm also pleased to get them out as they're moulting and I've been told exercise is good for getting fluff through guts :D We've had brilliant binkies too: Aboleth's become a proper little showoff and reminds me of minilop1's posts about 'look at me, Mum'! She does that too :lol: I've got the radio on today, Planet Rock, and Lopsy went off on a MASSIVE binky to Motorhead's 'Ace of Spades'! He's got taste :)

I've taken a video I might post up later, and some photos, over in the Photo section. If I get another convenient break from reading Russian texts on metal music!

I love to see rabbits free ranging, whether in the house or the garden :) They sound like they have a great time outside!

You're very kind/tolerant to allow the neighbour's cats to come in, despite having to clean up after them.

Maybe one day the cats will become the bunnies' allies, and threaten off any unwanted intruders :D

Maybe one day the cats will become the bunnies' allies, and threaten off any unwanted intruders :D
Hopefully!

Today there was a lot of 'Lopsy, what are you trying to eat?' and 'Aboleth, don't eat that!' as they tried to get at fenced-off plants :roll: Lopsy also took ages to get back inside so Aboleth had eaten all the greens I'd foraged.

Hopefully!

Today there was a lot of 'Lopsy, what are you trying to eat?' and 'Aboleth, don't eat that!' as they tried to get at fenced-off plants :roll: Lopsy also took ages to get back inside so Aboleth had eaten all the greens I'd foraged.

Oh no!!

Bandit came to visit at about 4pm: He ran around the pen to where Aboleth was, but didn't make an attack. She just stared at him. Then he moved to the position below, Aboleth went to see what he was doing and he put a paw through the bars but Aboleth's dealt with this before so jumped back well in advance. Then both carried on eating and then started showing off, binkying all over the place! Bandit didn't really know what to make of it and sloped off after 5mins of them sitting and being boring (eating):

C7sie3pXwAA9nPu.jpg

C7sie3lXQAIy4OV.jpg

C7sie89X0AEwoFS.jpg

Common phrases today:

"Play nicely!" when Aboleth looks humpy. She's proper showing off for Lopsy, but he's not innocent either!
"Less chinning, more mowing!" as they seemed obsessed with chinning the tube at first :roll:
"Showoffs!" and "Wheee!" for binkies.
"Oi, less weeding and more mowing!" when they start eating the stuff around the path...

Parents are coming just after Easter with some 'tools' so I can implement my anti-cat-on-lawn device. They've not shown any interest in getting into the pen so far but the more I can do to put them off, the better! So I don't havge to sit outside in 5+ layers like today (I'm in a shady, windy bit).

Back