• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When can Rabbits go back outside?

Kirsty123

Young Bun
Hi I've had my elderly rabbit indoors over thewinter months , when would he be able to go back outside? I'm looking into buying a new hutch for him ready... Thanks

As he is elderly and alone would it not be possible to keep him inside permanently?

As he is elderly and alone would it not be possible to keep him inside permanently?

Hello, unfortunately not because Im moving house, I could put him in the shed but ideally would like him to have a run attached outside & don't think that's possible because it's a concrete shed xx

I wouldn't put a rabbit who has lived indoors, outside on his own. If he has to go outside then I would recommend approaching a rescue about adopting a friend for him.

If you absolutely have to put him back outdoors then you must wait until the temperature has risen and will stay steady and only go up so i.e. until all risk of frost/ice has passed and spring is definitely here. Usually in the UK that's about May. In the past we have had snow and very low temperatures in April, so don't be tempted to put him out too early as his coat won't be thick enough and the shock of a sudden unexpected low overnight temperature could very well kill him.

Back