• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hiccups?

roxyroller88

Mama Doe
Bea keeps getting what looks like Hiccups. Can bunnies even get hiccups?!
They last for less than a minute and they don't appear to bother her at all. She is usually lying down when it happens.
Do we need to see a vet? :?

Bea keeps getting what looks like Hiccups. Can bunnies even get hiccups?!
They last for less than a minute and they don't appear to bother her at all. She is usually lying down when it happens.
Do we need to see a vet? :?

Yes my bunnies have had hiccups from time to time. I have never taken them to a vet, though I have mentioned it. You could take a video of it, just in case, but my regular vet had no idea what it could indicate. I choose not to worry about it :)

I had a bunny who used to hiccup lots, then I've had another two and never seen the do it at all. Never seemed to bother him though.

Aaah ok. I will try to get a video and maybe I can show my vet when I see him next. It doesn't seem to bother her at all but it happens quite a lot. Not every day or anything. It kinda comes out of nowhere. I've never seen any of the others do it!

Doughnut used to get them when I first moved her over from a bottle to a bowl. She drinks really quickly so takes in lots of air. They didn't bother her. Better to have the hiccups than gas. It's worth mentioning

https://youtu.be/lS0WKmV9urg

I decided to take a video tonight. It only lasts for 10-20 seconds but does this seem like hiccups to you? I'm emailing it to our vet too.

Yes it does look like hiccups. I would send it to the vet, or if that's not possible, then get a vet to sound her chest to check for any respiratory issues. But note down how often it happens, whether it's a one off, or is repeatedly happening over several days.

It could be a simple stress response to the bonding (I have known that before)

She did it before the bonding so it's not that but it's certainly not a daily thing either. I've tried looking for obvious stressers but nothing. I'll send it over to the vet :) x

Fiver does something a lot like this too. I may have similar video of it somewhere, but I'm not sure. I've had vets say it's hiccups, but then they also considered the outside possibility it is neurological in origin. (Only because my bunnies have been exposed to e.c.) But please...I don't want to cause unnecessary worry by saying so. Simply something to ask about as a fringe question just to cover all the bases. :thumb:

Whatever they are, upon looking at the vid a few times, she doesn't get rocked by them as much as Fiver does. He goes for minutes at a time with them, then suddenly comes out of it and he's off binkying or grunting at me, whatever is his pleasure. :roll:
Come to think of it, I don't recall seeing him doing this since he's been taking his ranitidine for his stomach acid problem. :?
Hope the vet can put your mind at ease. :love: You need a break from all the stress too! (((((( Huge hugs )))))) xxxx

Fiver does something a lot like this too. I may have similar video of it somewhere, but I'm not sure. I've had vets say it's hiccups, but then they also considered the outside possibility it is neurological in origin. (Only because my bunnies have been exposed to e.c.) But please...I don't want to cause unnecessary worry by saying so. Simply something to ask about as a fringe question just to cover all the bases. :thumb:

Whatever they are, upon looking at the vid a few times, she doesn't get rocked by them as much as Fiver does. He goes for minutes at a time with them, then suddenly comes out of it and he's off binkying or grunting at me, whatever is his pleasure. :roll:
Come to think of it, I don't recall seeing him doing this since he's been taking his ranitidine for his stomach acid problem. :?
Hope the vet can put your mind at ease. :love: You need a break from all the stress too! (((((( Huge hugs )))))) xxxx

It doesn't seem to bother her at all! A lot of the time when she does it she's lying down without a care in the world. I think that I'm going to take her in for a check up on Monday. Would be good to get Hen registered and checked over too whilst I'm there :)

She did it before the bonding so it's not that but it's certainly not a daily thing either. I've tried looking for obvious stressers but nothing. I'll send it over to the vet :) x

Hope the vet can make sense of it .. Sometimes difficult to know without diagnostics, but oftentimes it's nothing at all :)

Just checking in Roxy...did you get a word back from the vet on the hiccups yet? I am curious to see what was said.

Also hoping your bunnies are all doing well and that you're getting to relax a bit. :love: xxxx

I rang them and asked if I should sent the video over and they said that I could do but if I'm concerned to take her in. So I think that we are taking her on Monday and then we can get Hen registered too and get him a general checkover :)
Thanks for asking :love:

I rang them and asked if I should sent the video over and they said that I could do but if I'm concerned to take her in. So I think that we are taking her on Monday and then we can get Hen registered too and get him a general checkover :)

Hope all goes well for the Bunnies on Monday xx

Hiccups still happening then? Sorry you have another vet visit - guess Hen will accompany?

Back