• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bella not eating pellets!

Ruthyjones89

Mama Doe
Hi guys,

Last night bella wasn't so keen on eating her pellets, but was happy enough to eat hay, forage and herbs so gave her the benefit of doubt. This Morning again not touching her pellets and her poos are very small and hard so we're heading to the vets shortly! She has eaten a handful of forgage, grass and herbs as I can't actually see apart from messing up her litter tray that she has eaten much hay! :(

I'm thinking its probably ears or teeth.. As Bailey went similar before his ear infection. Im praying it's not, but any spare vibes would be appreciated!

She's currently huddled up tooth grinding so she's had some metacam, but be heading off soon! Xx

Last edited:
Right well since trying to get her in the carrier she's obviously clicked where's she off too... She ran out, straight to her bowl and ate all her pellets in one go!!

This is the little devil now....

Maybe I jumped the gun too quick. I've called the vets and they have said maybe keep an eye on her today and if she refuses them at tea time then bring her in later. (Plus my better vet is on then too!) they are suggesting I maybe take Bailey in too as he could do with his ears checking.

Honestly I swear my two just do it on purpose sometimes!

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Last night bella wasn't so keen on eating her pellets, but was happy enough to eat hay, forage and herbs so gave her the benefit of doubt. This Morning again not touching her pellets and her poos are very small and hard so we're heading to the vets shortly! She has eaten a handful of forgage, grass and herbs as I can't actually see apart from messing up her litter tray that she has eaten much hay! :(

I'm thinking its probably ears or teeth.. As Bailey went similar before his ear infection. Im praying it's not, but any spare vibes would be appreciated!

She's currently huddled up tooth grinding so she's had some metacam, but be heading off soon! Xx

Sending loads and loads of lovely vibes for Bella :love:

Right well since trying to get her in the carrier she's obviously clicked where's she off too... She ran out, straight to her bowl and ate all her pellets in one go!!

Maybe I jumped the gun too quick. I've called the vets and they have said maybe keep an eye on her today and if she refuses them at tea time then bring her in later. (Plus my better vet is on then too!) they are suggesting I maybe take Bailey in too as he could do with his ears checking.

She is just keeping you on your toes !! I hope that all will be OK now xx

Devil Bella :lol: (sorry, I know I should't laugh!)

Little monkey, I swear they do it on purpose sometimes, I can just imagine her having a good giggle :lol: hope she goes on ok though, and Baileys ears !

Hi everyone, thank you so much.. Well I have no idea what caused it as she ate her pellets as normal last night although did refuse her fibre stick before bed, then ate her pellets and forage fine this morning so god knows. Her poos are still quite small so I've cut back her pellets slightly (only has a quarter normally twice daily) but She has been going crazy on her hay cookie so I've also taken that out in the hope she'll eat more hay and get them bad boys looking big & golden again.

I don't really want to annoy my job too much as I haven't been there long so I've booked both buns in for an appointment on sat to get them checked. Funnily enough Bailey has now developed another eye nodule thing like last time but it's in his eye lid so I'm struggling to do warm compresses like last time. So they are certainly keeping my on my toes xxx

Hi everyone, thank you so much.. Well I have no idea what caused it as she ate her pellets as normal last night although did refuse her fibre stick before bed, then ate her pellets and forage fine this morning so god knows. Her poos are still quite small so I've cut back her pellets slightly (only has a quarter normally twice daily) but She has been going crazy on her hay cookie so I've also taken that out in the hope she'll eat more hay and get them bad boys looking big & golden again.

I don't really want to annoy my job too much as I haven't been there long so I've booked both buns in for an appointment on sat to get them checked. Funnily enough Bailey has now developed another eye nodule thing like last time but it's in his eye lid so I'm struggling to do warm compresses like last time. So they are certainly keeping my on my toes xxx

If she has to fill up on more hay hopefully that will get her GI tract motility back up to speed. Sending more vibes for both Bella and Bailey xx

Vibes for the bad boys Ruth. I hope you get on OK on Sat.

I really hope the nodule is nothing and can be taken care of easily. I know you try and make light of it, but of course these things are rather worrying nonetheless. Hugs xx

Hi,

Thanks for asking.. Well since bella has been absolutely fine! She's eating pellets fine now, demolishing hay, I'm getting bunny 500's oh and last night the little devil managed to catch her beedy eye on some carpet lifting behind the door and chewed it all now leaving a good noticable square patch!!!

The only thing that's getting me is she's not bothered with fibre sticks when she used to love them?! But maybe she's just gone off them maybe? She is eating everything else fine. Oh and she's started humping Bailey now which I'm guessing must be a bit of spring fever.. So poor Bailey is chilling on the sofa as he knows she can't reach him up there! lol!

We'll just see how both their checkups go tomorrow.. I have everything crossed for Bailey and his ears, plus his eye as he's blinking a lot more today! :(

Hi,

Thanks for asking.. Well since bella has been absolutely fine! She's eating pellets fine now, demolishing hay, I'm getting bunny 500's oh and last night the little devil managed to catch her beedy eye on some carpet lifting behind the door and chewed it all now leaving a good noticable square patch!!!

The only thing that's getting me is she's not bothered with fibre sticks when she used to love them?! But maybe she's just gone off them maybe? She is eating everything else fine. Oh and she's started humping Bailey now which I'm guessing must be a bit of spring fever.. So poor Bailey is chilling on the sofa as he knows she can't reach him up there! lol!

We'll just see how both their checkups go tomorrow.. I have everything crossed for Bailey and his ears, plus his eye as he's blinking a lot more today! :(

Good to hear about Bella's progress, but so sorry about Bailey's eye.
I'm wondering when you're going to get a break from rabbits problems?

Thank you.. and I know!

I always try to be a positive person, but can't help feeling what the hell I do wrong all the time.. I always do my best for all my little fur babies, and put them first before my family, partner and friends. My partner hates it and goes mad when he sees so many other people's rabbits live for 10 years odd, not given half the love and care we give our buns with no problems what so ever! in the short time of having bunnies, think I must have dealt with so that many problems, surely there can't be many more left?!

When calling the vets, I only have to say it's ruth.. and considering its a large referral unit who must deal with hundreds of different people... they know its me everytime!

i'm so sorry for this but now I am started, I kind of feel I need to finish my vent! My granddad is termly ill with less than 3 months to live, my nan is in hospital so my mum is practically his carer, so I hardly see/speak to her. My Car has just cost me over 800 to put right from pot hole damage, and just feel like what else can actually be thrown at me! But I just have to think, there are always less fortunate than me.. and thank god I have you guys to keep me going xx

Last edited:
Thank you.. and I know!

I always try to be a positive person, but can't help feeling what the hell I do wrong all the time.. I always do my best for all my little fur babies, and put them first before my family, partner and friends. My partner hates it and goes mad when he sees so many other people's rabbits live for 10 years odd, not given half the love and care we give our buns with no problems what so ever! in the short time of having bunnies, think I must have dealt with so that many problems, surely there can't be many more left?!

When calling the vets, I only have to say it's ruth.. and considering its a large referral unit who must deal with hundreds of different people... they know its me everytime!

i'm so sorry for this but now I am started, I kind of feel I need to finish my vent! My granddad is termly ill with less than 3 months to live, my nan is in hospital so my mum is practically his carer, so I hardly see/speak to her. My Car has just cost me over 800 to put right from pot hole damage, and just feel like what else can actually be thrown at me! But I just have to think, there are always less fortunate than me.. and thank god I have you guys to keep me going xx

Yes, but that does not negate all your current worries. I am very sorry to hear about your Granddad and your Nan :cry:

You could try to claim from the Council for damages to your car

https://www.theaa.com/breakdown-cover/advice/pothole-damage-how-to-claim

Thank you.. and I know!

Oh Ruth, you *are* a positive person! Things happen to you and it's not because you do anything wrong, I truly believe that :)

I'm so sorry to hear about your Granddad, Nan and not seeing your Mum must be hard x hugs x

Regarding your car, my friend went over a broken speed hump and blew out his front tyre. He applied to the Council (you'll have to ring and find out the process) and got reimbursed. Keep all your receipts - that's a lot of money. I am sure you'll be able to get that back x

Back