• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why is my bunny...

Star-Dust

New Kit
Why is my bunny pulling the hair off of her neck? It's just at the center of her neck and that's the only spot she does it. She's beginning to look quite odd when she raises her head...

Why is my bunny pulling the hair off of her neck? It's just at the center of her neck and that's the only spot she does it. She's beginning to look quite odd when she raises her head...

You may find she is having a phantom pregnancy:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen_diseases/Pseu_preg/pseudo_en.htm

Nest building and hair pulling behavior is indicative for pseudopregnancy when an intact female rabbit lives in an environment with no other rabbits, or shares space with a neutered male (neutered at least several weeks prior so that he is no longer able to impregnate) or with another female. Extensive hair-pulling is indicative of the end of a pseudopregnancy or gestation phase. Bald spots with healthy looking skin appear on the dewlap, shoulders, or ventral abdomen, and expose the nipples. Damaged or torn skin can result in secondary skin infections.

The treatment is spaying, which as you can see from what I've posted below, is a very good idea for health reasons as well as behaviour.

The treatment of choice for hormonally-driven fur-plucking behavior is ovariohysterectomy. This surgical procedure will, furthermore, help prevent the onset of other fatal reproductive disorders frequently observed in unaltered females, such as uterine cancer, endometrial hyperplasia, mammary gland disorders. If pseudopregnancy is accompanied by a secondary disorder or infection of the genital tract, it is important to stabilize the health of the rabbit prior to surgery with appropriate drugs and supportive treatment.

Okay, thanks. That's what I thought it was, but I wasn't sure. I'm going to try to schedule her an appointment at the vet to get her spayed, ASAP!

Another question: if I ever got say... a Dutch rabbit (neutered and male,) could I put them together? I'm not sure if two completely different breeds will get along together, even if they are altered.

Another question: if I ever got say... a Dutch rabbit (neutered and male,) could I put them together? I'm not sure if two completely different breeds will get along together, even if they are altered.

Yes you can put them together no problem :D

Breed, size, colour, age, sex .... none of this matters a jot if the bunnies become friends x

Back