• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fiver's rather dramatic moult 0_0

MimzMum

Wise Old Thumper
I think he's trying to give us 'the full monty'... :shock:

This spring, he's taking it all off! :shock:

s6%20pix%20and%20vids%203-5-17%20am%20snow%20002_zpsl5rz70co.jpg

s6%20pix%20and%20vids%203-5-17%20am%20snow%20003_zpsmgtw7zyw.jpg~original

s6%20pix%20and%20vids%203-5-17%20am%20snow%20004_zpsxllqsa1f.jpg

s6%20pix%20and%20vids%203-5-17%20am%20snow%20005_zps4xsngqpm.jpg

Even all the way down the sides of his forelegs and along his face and neck the fur is just falling off him. I'm a bit worried, actually. :(

s6%20pix%20and%20vids%203-5-17%20am%20snow%20006_zpsxe07xhbi.jpg

s6%20pix%20and%20vids%203-5-17%20am%20snow%20007_zpspis4at4u.jpg

Wow, he is having a big moult :shock: perhaps now you aren't in Alaska he thought he didn't need such a thick coat :lol:

Pumpkin the goat is moulting, and rubbing his side on the fence, it made it look like he had dreadlocks until I brushed him :lol:

Very impressive. Mr B moults all year round, even in winter. Perhaps it's living indoors that makes them moult more, I am sure it's nothing to worry about.

Thanks all :)
Yes, all our pets are shedding undercoats...I worry that's part of what took Pippi away, that she'd succumbed to a bezoar or some such. But I've never seen Fiver lose all this fur before, usually just his saddle area, so this is quite surprising. :shock:

Our house in Alaska was always in the 75 F range as we are here...if anything they are in a colder room than before, I know because I have to wear a sweater in the house even with the heat on. I'd think he'd bulk up, not down. :?

Only other thing I can come up with is the daylight. No extreme dark or light anymore...circadian rhythms are off perhaps?
Oddly, while Mimzy is also moulting he is not losing this much fur. Grooming him is a nightmare because he hates it now. But his fur is on him like it's stuck with superglue! :(

I just hate how you can see how incredibly thin Fiver is now. :cry: He looks terribly malnourished and yet he's eating...not a lot of hay but enough to make decent sized poos with a few tiny ones hither and yon, and I see very few uneaten cecals if at all. I think he's just getting old. :cry:
s6%20pix%20and%20vids%20to%203-7-17%20fiver%20003_zpslkkdwy6z.jpg

Pardon the mess in this shot, I hadn't cleaned his enclosure yet. :oops:

Thanks all :)
Yes, all our pets are shedding undercoats...I worry that's part of what took Pippi away, that she'd succumbed to a bezoar or some such. But I've never seen Fiver lose all this fur before, usually just his saddle area, so this is quite surprising. :shock:

Our house in Alaska was always in the 75 F range as we are here...if anything they are in a colder room than before, I know because I have to wear a sweater in the house even with the heat on. I'd think he'd bulk up, not down. :?

Only other thing I can come up with is the daylight. No extreme dark or light anymore...circadian rhythms are off perhaps?
Oddly, while Mimzy is also moulting he is not losing this much fur. Grooming him is a nightmare because he hates it now. But his fur is on him like it's stuck with superglue! :(

I just hate how you can see how incredibly thin Fiver is now. :cry: He looks terribly malnourished and yet he's eating...not a lot of hay but enough to make decent sized poos with a few tiny ones hither and yon, and I see very few uneaten cecals if at all. I think he's just getting old. :cry:
s6%20pix%20and%20vids%20to%203-7-17%20fiver%20003_zpslkkdwy6z.jpg

Pardon the mess in this shot, I hadn't cleaned his enclosure yet. :oops:

You think your enclosure is messy! Looks spotless to me! ;) I think that he looks lovely and lively for an older gentleman, incredible moult though :shock:

Thank you :) I can't imagine he's particularly comfortable and getting the loose fluff off him is a real trick. I don't want him hopping about too much and aggravate his arthritis but holding him to groom him makes him struggle more...it's kind of a no win situation, so I just try to keep him and his area as clean as possible.

I guess I should clarify too, though, that the plate he is eating off of is a teacup saucer, for some size perspective. :shock:
He really is a diddy lad, always has been, but I think the picture makes him look bigger than he is.

He does love his pumpkin and greens. :love:

Oh it's pumpkin! I was going to ask :D

I would suggest daylight too: mine always have a bit of a moult with the temperature changes (which have been CRAZY in Nottingham this year!) but it only really kicks off with light levels. They've started a proper one now, for the last 2 weeks or so. Still awaiting Lopsy's 'halo', a sure sign of spring! Fiver's got a proper shedding session going on there though: that's no halo, that's a skinny-bunny emergence, like some sort of sci-fi/alien skin change! :shock:

Back