• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Standard Rex Life Span

nickybunny1

Mama Doe
OK, not a nice question to ask but very close to adopting a nearly 5 year old Rex, who will be getting neutered hopefully this week. She has a very healthy background. But as Oliver is 7 years 4 months and dwarf lop I am hoping neither will have to be on their own too long. So I read Dwarf lops can live up to 12 but was wondering about Standard Rex bunnies ?? Have read up to 8 and then up to 11.

OK, not a nice question to ask but very close to adopting a nearly 5 year old Rex, who will be getting neutered hopefully this week. She has a very healthy background. But as Oliver is 7 years 4 months and dwarf lop I am hoping neither will have to be on their own too long. So I read Dwarf lops can live up to 12 but was wondering about Standard Rex bunnies ?? Have read up to 8 and then up to 11.

My oldest Standard Rex, Miss Bunny Penny, lived to be 13 :)

Hi Nicky

From the BRC website:

The lifespan of a Rex is quite short in comparison to other breeds, being about 5 to 6 years. However, neutering can lengthen the life expectancy of Rex rabbits to about 8 to 11 years.

However, I believe that genetics, care, diet, husbandry etc is responsible for the age the rabbit reaches. A healthy background is a sure sign of good genetics, so I would take that as an indicator, more than the breed standard.

As you know, one of my rabbits reached over 14 years old, and was predicted to reach only 9 :D

I thought Rex could live between 10 and 12 years of age.

Our girls are Rex Minis and will be 6 years old in June. We were of the opinion that the general lifespan for them is 10-12 so are we right or wrong?

Apologies for jumping in on your thread, but I guess it's kinda linked!

Our girls are Rex Minis and will be 6 years old in June. We were of the opinion that the general lifespan for them is 10-12 so are we right or wrong?

If we aren't talking large rabbits, then I tend to view the answer as 'how long is a piece of string'. I believe good genetics play a big part, and if a rabbit gets to 5 years mainly healthy, I see no reason why they shouldn't go on living healthily for a good long time to come :D

I think that a Standard Rex average life span is 9-10 years and a Mini Rex 11-12 years.

If we aren't talking large rabbits, then I tend to view the answer as 'how long is a piece of string'. I believe good genetics play a big part, and if a rabbit gets to 5 years mainly healthy, I see no reason why they shouldn't go on living healthily for a good long time to come :D

I think that a Standard Rex average life span is 9-10 years and a Mini Rex 11-12 years.

Thank you, both. I was about right then, going by what you have both said :)

Thanks every one. We have decided to go ahead with adopting the little Rex. She is getting neutered on Thurs day morning which I am nervous about. But apparently very very rabbit savy vet. She has a very healthy background which I hope Max means a good healthy future. She lives currently 2 hours away Oliver better appreciate all the effort we r going to for him !!!

Thanks every one. We have decided to go ahead with adopting the little Rex. She is getting neutered on Thurs day morning which I am nervous about. But apparently very very rabbit savy vet. She has a very healthy background which I hope Max means a good healthy future. She lives currently 2 hours away Oliver better appreciate all the effort we r going to for him !!!

She will be a beautiful healthy girl, I am sure :love:

Back