• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ec and litter trays

cara

Alpha Buck
So, my Teddy quite possibly has EC and is being treated for it. His symptoms are excessive and inappropriate peeing. When we rescued him, he was suffering from acute urine scald at the time .. but this is no longer a problem.

I understand EC is transmitted through spores in urine. I have always (25 years, plus) made litter trays up with newspaper and hay .. the idea being that rabbits like to pee, poop and graze at the same time. He has a huge litter tray, changed twice a day.

I am now wondering if this is wise? Am I adding to the problem. A lady on another forum did comment that she would be concerned about her rabbits soiling the hay and eating it.

Teddy does have another source of hay as well. The litter tray works well for both Teddy and me, so don't unnecessarily want to change anything but, I am wondering .....:?:?

So, my Teddy quite possibly has EC and is being treated for it. His symptoms are excessive and inappropriate peeing. When we rescued him, he was suffering from acute urine scald at the time .. but this is no longer a problem.

I understand EC is transmitted through spores in urine. I have always (25 years, plus) made litter trays up with newspaper and hay .. the idea being that rabbits like to pee, poop and graze at the same time. He has a huge litter tray, changed twice a day.

I am now wondering if this is wise? Am I adding to the problem. A lady on another forum did comment that she would be concerned about her rabbits soiling the hay and eating it.

Teddy does have another source of hay as well. The litter tray works well for both Teddy and me, so don't unnecessarily want to change anything but, I am wondering .....:?:?

Personally I would rather provide hay in a hay rack (that can be accessed by Bun as he sits in litter tray) and use a wood pellet/paper pellet litter in the litter tray :)

I think the spores are in the air, also I have read rabbits won't eat soiled hay. So, it would seem a shame to change to a no-hay litter tray. But, if it seems plausible then maybe you would have to.

What I used to do was have a litter, and only put the hay at the front. So the bun would then pretty much always have their rear end on the litter and not on the hay. It wasn't an exact science, and I did change the litter trays frequently, but it seemed to work in the sense of encouraging clean hay to be eaten.

What I used to do was have a litter, and only put the hay at the front. So the bun would then pretty much always have their rear end on the litter and not on the hay. It wasn't an exact science, and I did change the litter trays frequently, but it seemed to work in the sense of encouraging clean hay to be eaten.

I do this :)

I have a fairly large litter tray, and I put clean - to be eaten- hay at the end that they don't pee. As tonibun says, rabbits won't eat soiled hay anyway.

A hay rack or anything similar won't work for my lot, so it has to be that way, as they love munching whilst in the litter tray :)

Like Teddy, my rabbits also have another source of hay to go to x

Thanks for the replies.

I also think the spores (by their very nature of being spores), will float and land everywhere. And unfortunately, Teddy generally pees all over the litter tray rather than in any particular place :)

I may well look for a hayrack that can go over his tray ... that might be a good idea. Anybody recommend a good link to a hay rack for this purpose?

Otherwise, for the moment, Teddy is very much improved. Very dry underneath and 95 percent all pees are in the tray .. thank goodness! I do suspect he is still peeing more than most buns as, although less in the tray - it is not soaked twice a day, I do feel it needs changing twice a day to prevent him having a soaked tray, if that makes sense!

The lump he had, which the vet thought not alarming, is still apparent so I will have to get back to the vets with him. Feeling a little apprehensive, and mean on Teddy as it is not bothering him!

Thanks for the replies.

I also think the spores (by their very nature of being spores), will float and land everywhere. And unfortunately, Teddy generally pees all over the litter tray rather than in any particular place :)

I may well look for a hayrack that can go over his tray ... that might be a good idea. Anybody recommend a good link to a hay rack for this purpose?

Otherwise, for the moment, Teddy is very much improved. Very dry underneath and 95 percent all pees are in the tray .. thank goodness! I do suspect he is still peeing more than most buns as, although less in the tray - it is not soaked twice a day, I do feel it needs changing twice a day to prevent him having a soaked tray, if that makes sense!

The lump he had, which the vet thought not alarming, is still apparent so I will have to get back to the vets with him. Feeling a little apprehensive, and mean on Teddy as it is not bothering him!

DaphneandPhoebe has a very good Hay rack. I can't remember where she said she had got it from.

I use an old wooden magazine rack for my rabbits' hay and put newspaper, straw and hay into their litter trays. Seems to work well.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm glad to hear that Teddy is so much better now - dry underneath - well done Teddy!

Manor pet housing do lovely hay rack/ litter trays, bit pricey but lasts a long time and easily cleaned (Personally I think these are lovely but are definitely for people who want their bunny housing looking posh :lol: ). Ikea bag dispensers are cheap and big enough to stuff a lot of hay into? Glad he's doing better! :D

Back