• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What are the pros and cons in getting my bunny spayed?

Star-Dust

New Kit
I'm really looking into getting Sis (my 1 year old Mini Lop) spayed, but I would like to know a lot about it and talk to people who are experienced.

Thank you! That was very helpful. I have done a moderate amount of research about it, but now I'm 100% I want to get her spayed.

I'm really looking into getting Sis (my 1 year old Mini Lop) spayed, but I would like to know a lot about it and talk to people who are experienced.

I would say definitely get her spayed, but please make sure you have a very good and confident vet doing the procedure!

It's great that you're looking in to things like this :D Spaying prevents them getting uterine cancer which can be very common in rabbits, rabbits try not to show pain so by the time you realise something is wrong it's usually too late. I left it until my female was 3 years old, I thought that was still too young to get uterine cancer but she did have it and it had destroyed a kidney and part of her bowel too, luckily she pulled through and has been cancer free since, but if I'd of left it a few more weeks she would probably be dead. It will calm her hormones down too, so she's more likely to use a litter tray well and be friendlier to you and to other rabbits.

The only con is the anaesthetic, with all animals and people there's a small risk of them not reacting well to it, but personally I believe it is much riskier to leave them unspayed. If a vet ever tells you that spaying is very risky in rabbits, tries to put you off in any way, or says anything about starving the rabbit before surgery then they are inexperienced so please please do not use them! As MightyMax said it's very important you find a good vet, I had a few surgeries tell me to starve my rabbits before their neuter so I corrected them and told them I did not want to register there, at my current one there are lots of different vets, the receptionist/nurse was very rabbit savvy and they discussed with me which of their vets have the most experience with rabbits so I didn't have to worry about someone inexperienced doing it

Also ask about pain relief. A lot of vets give an injection to help with the pain after the operation, but this only lasts about 24h. If you know any women who've had a hysterectomy you'll know the pain lasts much longer than that. Ideally the vet should routinely give a liquid pain medication for you to take home, sometimes you have to ask, if they say no then I wouldn't use that vet. Just because rabbits hide pain well doesn't mean they aren't in pain.

Okay, thanks. How long after that does it take for them to heal and is it difficult to keep them calm?

Okay, thanks. How long after that does it take for them to heal and is it difficult to keep them calm?

After a spay I would restrict their 'jumping and running' for about 5 days. Check the wound every day, and of course the vet will give you a followup appointment to make sure they are healing and eating properly.

Back