• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Potential friends.... and raisins

Sage

Warren Scout
Hi

We are searching for a companion for Branwen [female lion head, about a year old] and went to the rescue centre today.
They only had one male [a two year old English], but we didn't really click with him (too big, and a terrible digger)
All the other rabbits were females, one was very sweet, and about the same size/age as Branwen.
I'm well aware that girl/boy parings are best, and girl/girl pairings can be really hard to pull off, but could it work.
(Branwen has been spayed, and we'd have the other rabbit spayed/neutered too)
Any other useful advice you care to offer?

Finally, the raisins, they are Branwen's new treat of choice. We've erred on the side of caution and not given her too many (about five a day). Would it be a problem to give her more.
It also seems that recently Branwen has gone off her vegetables (She has a sweet tooth, and would rather eat apple and raisins). I'm trying to encourage her to eat vegetables, but am not sure how to go about it.
Any wisdom on that?

hi there,

i'm sure the sugar can't be good for her. but it could be worse, steve's previous owner fed him 2 maltesers every night at 7 o clock!!! he still goes mad if you eat choc anywhere near him!

alfalfa can be quite sweet, and carrot, all mine love that. and they all love basil as a treat.

apple can be quite soft, i'd be wary that it might be a tooth problem and it was the soft things she was after... make sure she's eating her mix too!

mine love the odd banana chip. also sugary!! but good. mmmmm. one for you, one for me.....

Have you seen Rolo, a soon to be neutered male lionhead about 1.5 years old? He's very friendly and likes cuddles. And is in Hampshire!

rolo.jpg

For more details see - http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=260

Tamsin

Hey Hey Tam you'll get Rolo a home somehow :lol:
Hi there, I've had a few bunnies that needed teeth sorted and often the first signs are the chance of preference of food from hard to soft. It won't do any harm to make an appointment and have your vet check over molars. She won't need sedated for a teeth check up it can be done while bunny is awake. If its not that then yup you have a sweet toothed bunny as I think most of them are. I would say 5 raisins a day would the max amount to give any bunny. I rarely feed raisins now as it became such a farce at my house. I can't give one bunny without another smelling it, i call raisins the equivalant of drugs, they will do anything for them as they seem to find it so addictive :lol: I have been nipped many times for not being quick enough with the raisins and for deciding they had had enough. The Cheeky monkeys they are!

Angela

Tamsin, I found the info about Rolo last night and printed it off. I will run it past the family later. He looks so sweet. :)

Our prince has come :lol:
Rolo aka Casey (or vice versa) is in the lounge right now. Total contrast to Branwen, he's into everything and won't sit still. Aww the joys of buns.

As for the raisins, they will still be a treat, just a rarer one.

Back