• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit Slugde?

BenjiBun

Young Bun
Hi there folks :wave:

I wonder if anyone would be able to tell me if the photo I've attached is a matter of concern. Every two weeks a so Benji deposits a little bit of creamy beige paste in his urine. It only happens once or twice that particular day, then theres nothing for another while.

Im just concerned as I've been reading up about rabbit sludge and various sources say its inevitable regardless of what types of fresh greens you feed them but i don't want him to be in any pain when he's urintating. I heard that due to the design of their bladders, this calcium sediment can sit in areas of their bladder and is then passed, but depending how much can be painful sometimes.

He's recently been having a good go at destroying the cardboard rabbit castle we built him, so he's been chewing at the doorways making his modifications :lol: Could any ingested cardboard cause this sludge too? :?

any advice would be greatly appreciated
thanks in advance
Gemma & Benji

image1_zpsmvyeolng.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Hi there folks :wave:

I wonder if anyone would be able to tell me if the photo I've attached is a matter of concern. Every two weeks a so Benji deposits a little bit of creamy beige paste in his urine. It only happens once or twice that particular day, then theres nothing for another while.

Im just concerned as I've been reading up about rabbit sludge and various sources say its inevitable regardless of what types of fresh greens you feed them but i don't want him to be in any pain when he's urintating. I heard that due to the design of their bladders, this calcium sediment can sit in areas of their bladder and is then passed, but depending how much can be painful sometimes.

He's recently been having a good go at destroying the cardboard rabbit castle we built him, so he's been chewing at the doorways making his modifications :lol: Could any ingested cardboard cause this sludge too? :?

any advice would be greatly appreciated
thanks in advance
Gemma & Benji

image1_zpsmvyeolng.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Hello

As you say that he is passing the blobs of sludge every now and again it may indicate that you need to look at his diet. Pellets are usually the main issue for Rabbits with a predisposition toward bladder sludge.

These links may be useful to take a look at :

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/free-food-for-rabbits/calcium-and-rabbit-food

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/ar...t-for-rabbits-with-urinary-tract-disease/view

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen_diseases/generalities/Sludge.htm

ETA- Easting cardboard will not cause bladder sludge, but it can cause GI tract problems if the Rabbit eats a lot of it x

Thank you

Thanks Jacks-Jane the links are very helpful actually and I'll keep an eye on when this happens and take him to the vet too for a check up
His cardboard box nibbling is being monitored as well as I dont want him blocking up like you say

Thanks again 👌🏼

I would suspect the cardboard if it were me as it's the same colour. We know that certain foods can cause their urine to be different colours. Does he eat lots of hay?

I would suspect the cardboard if it were me as it's the same colour. We know that certain foods can cause their urine to be different colours. Does he eat lots of hay?

Yes that's a thought. Calcium deposits are often whiter than that.

Thanks Jacks-Jane the links are very helpful actually and I'll keep an eye on when this happens and take him to the vet too for a check up
His cardboard box nibbling is being monitored as well as I dont want him blocking up like you say

Thanks again ����

You are welcome. Does he have a good water intake ?

You are welcome. Does he have a good water intake ?

Hi there, Jack-Jane. yes I think he drinks quite well each day. He drinks from a water crock as I got rid of his sipper bottle a few months back as he seemed to favour a bowl more.
I feel his water intake is more active in the evening when we're all together although I do see on my bunny cam him sipping a bit throughout the day (I have to spy on him [emoji39]).

He has unlimited hay (a mixture of Timothy mostly with camomile hay added in)
He gets fresh greens in the mornings (consisting usually of 2 big romaine leaves and a sprig or two of dill mint coriander curled parsley chunk of cucumber and pak Choi leaf)
In the evening he gets an egg cup of his pellets.

I've been quite paranoid about the amount of greens to feed due to his sludge. Various sources have said a good handfull which I hope mine is roughly, I don't want to make him ill. Ive read about grumbly gassy tummies on buns in relation to cabbage type greens and I was wondering if my pal choi and occasional spring green leaves would be bad or cause sediment

He has free run of our living room so I'm hoping with him hopping about during the day will keep any sludge from settling in his bladder (you're link on this was very helpful by the way x)

I am guilty of leaving some treats hidden in his dig box and hidey places as I feel guilty about leaving for work and want to give him something to look out while I'm away (although I know he's probably found and eaten them before Ive locked the front door [emoji1]) so I will consciously cut down on them as I don't want a fat Benji
I'm only been leaving a few, it's like a blackberry and rosehip hay stick or some flavoured hay drops but only about three or four little things as I know it's meant to be a treat.

If you have any advice on my feeding pattern or habits or think I may be doing something to cause sludge pee for him, please let me know as I'm open to any help

Ps: there has been nothing for a couple of days.

x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi there, Jack-Jane. yes I think he drinks quite well each day. He drinks from a water crock as I got rid of his sipper bottle a few months back as he seemed to favour a bowl more.
I feel his water intake is more active in the evening when we're all together although I do see on my bunny cam him sipping a bit throughout the day (I have to spy on him [emoji39]).

He has unlimited hay (a mixture of Timothy mostly with camomile hay added in)
He gets fresh greens in the mornings (consisting usually of 2 big romaine leaves and a sprig or two of dill mint coriander curled parsley chunk of cucumber and pak Choi leaf)
In the evening he gets an egg cup of his pellets.

I've been quite paranoid about the amount of greens to feed due to his sludge. Various sources have said a good handfull which I hope mine is roughly, I don't want to make him ill. Ive read about grumbly gassy tummies on buns in relation to cabbage type greens and I was wondering if my pal choi and occasional spring green leaves would be bad or cause sediment

He has free run of our living room so I'm hoping with him hopping about during the day will keep any sludge from settling in his bladder (you're link on this was very helpful by the way x)

I am guilty of leaving some treats hidden in his dig box and hidey places as I feel guilty about leaving for work and want to give him something to look out while I'm away (although I know he's probably found and eaten them before Ive locked the front door [emoji1]) so I will consciously cut down on them as I don't want a fat Benji
I'm only been leaving a few, it's like a blackberry and rosehip hay stick or some flavoured hay drops but only about three or four little things as I know it's meant to be a treat.

If you have any advice on my feeding pattern or habits or think I may be doing something to cause sludge pee for him, please let me know as I'm open to any help

Ps: there has been nothing for a couple of days.

x

Sorry autofill on my phone changed your name

Yes that's a thought. Calcium deposits are often whiter than that.

Thanks MightyMax, he does have an unlimited supply of hay and tucks into it. That's maybe good to know that calcium deposits would be whiter and as you say the sludge is the same colour as the cardboard he's been chewing at.

Although he leaves a pile of shredded card, maybe he's been ingesting some of it, I'll have to keep an eye on it and remove the box when I'm away out to see if intermittent sludge stops

Thanks [emoji846]

Back