• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

girls v boys

smallbrownfrog

Warren Scout
oooh, i feel terrible!

Bernie has opened up her spay wound for the second time and had to be taken into hospital tonight to be fixed up again. :(

i know she will prob be fine, but you still worry, don't you. i've got to go to yorkshire tomorow, and leave her in the care of my boyfriend!!!! for a week!! eek!

I hope he can cope! i've been giving him lessons on wound checking and antibiotic administration using the poor cat!

there was a disscussion on boys v girls. this is the first girl i've had neutered, and the first problems i've had with healing rabbits! boys were fine fine fine!

maybe girls are more dilegent in cleaning themselves, and so remove the stitches more often :?

Aren't you allowed to stick anything over it? Maybe she should wear one of those neck cone things?

Aloe gels great for healing things its been shown to increase respiration on the skin and I have used it to heal burns that normally take ages and ages on me - I heal slow. You can also eat it so it should be safe if they lick on it.

My baby boy spends all day cleaning himself, but that might be the talk of finding him a 'friend', so I want to stick up for the boys being clean too!

I think the diference is boys generally is a tiny hole to remove the testicles and generally only takes a couple of stitches. There is no tension on the wound so once its scabbed over even if the stitches are nibbled out it generally stays closed. Girls on the other hand have a larger wound and moving around to can easily pull it open. Glue is a good help and it can't be chibbled out like stitches.

Tam

Tam,

Didn't you make a suggestion on UKPR about a sort of coat for a Rabbit who wouldn't leave his/her stiches alone??? :?:

Louise

Depending on the size of your bunny, you could use an old sock to cover her wound. Cut the foot of the sock off so your just left with a tube then cut it down so that the tube goes from under her front legs to her back legs and covers the wound well. If bunny is too big for that um...... well sorry I have no idea. Oh how about an old jumper/sweater sleeve cut down to size??

Angela

Depending on the size of your bunny, you could use an old sock to cover her wound. Cut the foot of the sock off so your just left with a tube then cut it down so that the tube goes from under her front legs to her back legs and covers the wound well. If bunny is too big for that um...... well sorry I have no idea. Oh how about an old jumper/sweater sleeve cut down to size??

That's an excellant idea! I will remember that when Blue is done next month.
Although a friend had a female done about 6/7 yrs ago and she had to wear a collar for about 3-4 days and hated it, does that not happen so much now? as I imagine that causes problems with their caecotrophs?

Yep as Louise says a tube with leg holes made from a sock/sleeve/trouser leg/piece of material. Or baby vests, the kind that popper at the bottom, you don't popper them up but they should hang down enough to cover the wound.

Tam

Back