• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Daisy bladder sludge again U/D Messed up injection tonight :(

ripminnie

Wise Old Thumper
I took Daisy to the vets tonight as I thought she had another UTI (more peeing everywhere than usual), but Louise (vet) expressed the bladder and tested the urine there and then, and it seemed ok, apart from smelling very strong... so I was pleased about that. However, when we got home, it became apparent that the bladder clearly hadn't been emptied completely, as Daisy proceeded to produce several puddles of pure sludge :( it doesn't actually seem to bothering her, probably due to the massive metacam dose she is on anyway, but obviously it isn't good. I don't want to put her through another GA for a flush, so I hope we can get rid of it by expressing only. I will have to take her back to have it expressed again, more completely. Vibes would be appreciated...

Last edited:
Poor Daisy :( I hope that you are able to manage this by having it expressed again. Sending lots of vibes for her.

I took Daisy to the vets tonight as I thought she had another UTI (more peeing everywhere than usual), but Louise (vet) expressed the bladder and tested the urine there and then, and it seemed ok, apart from smelling very strong... so I was pleased about that. However, when we got home, it became apparent that the bladder clearly hadn't been emptied completely, as Daisy proceeded to produce several puddles of pure sludge :( it doesn't actually seem to bothering her, probably due to the massive metacam dose she is on anyway, but obviously it isn't good. I don't want to put her through another GA for a flush, so I hope we can get rid of it by expressing only. I will have to take her back to have it expressed again, more completely. Vibes would be appreciated...

She will probably need fluid therapy too if manual expression is to be attempted again. Sending lots more vibes for her x

Thanks Jane, I'd forgotten about fluids. At vets again now waiting, they are running late as usual :roll: poor Daisy :( it is more stressful for her having to wait ages, even if we stay in the car :( I hope the vet will give her fluids, he doesn't like giving them S/C and can be arsey about it.

Success! :) the vet expressed Daisy's bladder again, and got out what he could. He also gave her 250ml of fluids, so I'm feeling much more positive, and although Daisy didn't seem bothered anyway, I'm sure she'll feel better now :)

Success! :) the vet expressed Daisy's bladder again, and got out what he could. He also gave her 250ml of fluids, so I'm feeling much more positive, and although Daisy didn't seem bothered anyway, I'm sure she'll feel better now :)

Glad it all went well :)

It hasn't changed :( it's just hanging in her dewlap, it's really odd!! It is 5 hours since she had the fluids, and she still looks the same. Haven't experienced this before. Has anyone else? She doesn't like it :(

It hasn't changed :( it's just hanging in her dewlap, it's really odd!! It is 5 hours since she had the fluids, and she still looks the same. Haven't experienced this before. Has anyone else? She doesn't like it :(

Try massaging the area to encourage it to disperse x

It won't do her any harm will it, having so much? :(

No, it should be absolutely fine :thumb:

I've seen rabbits with a huge bolus (round bubble) hanging down their sides and it's all absorbed over time.

Daisy had a convenient dewlap for it to gravitate to :)

Back