• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Endeavour's Hocks

A great improvement. :love:. What causes hock problems ? Are certain breeds prone to hock problems ? I see hock questions come up on RU, but touchwood haven't seen sore hocks yet.

PS are white rabbits more prone ?

Last edited:
A great improvement. :love:. What causes hock problems ? Are certain breeds prone to hock problems ? I see hock questions come up on RU, but touchwood haven't seen sore hocks yet.

Rexes/rex-type coats are more prone.

What a fantastic improvement. :love:

Wow! :shock: Poor Fiver's have healed but the fur never grew back so he's completely bare from heel to toe. :(
Of course with the way his posture has degraded I don't expect they will ever be the same. :cry:

I'm glad Endeavour is doing so well. :love: xxxx

Rexes are prone to them, but his are secondary to early onset arthritis in his hips. Getting his arthritic pain and inflammation under control is what has led to the improvement in his hocks :)

Coat colour is not an indicator of whether or not a Rabbit is prone to sore hocks. This link provides some information, the link does contain graphic images and IMO the method of bandaging shown is not correct :

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Mechanical/Pod/Podo.htm

I'm so pleased that Endeavour's hocks have improved so much. All that lovely hay must have helped too :) My three each get them very mildly and very occasionally and I worry about them because they are outside. I have never really had to treat them as such yet, but always keep a watchful eye and make sure they they don't go out of the shed if they are starting to flare up.

I have always thought though, that we can't really imagine just how painful they must be. They "pretend" to be unaware of them though.

Wow, that is lovely to see. Noodles hocks were never as angry as the 1st photo but then never recovered as far as the second photo. How did you treat them?

I'm so pleased that Endeavour's hocks have improved so much. All that lovely hay must have helped too :) My three each get them very mildly and very occasionally and I worry about them because they are outside. I have never really had to treat them as such yet, but always keep a watchful eye and make sure they they don't go out of the shed if they are starting to flare up.

I have always thought though, that we can't really imagine just how painful they must be. They "pretend" to be unaware of them though.

Indeed, sore hocks are VERY painful. Imagine constantly having to weight bear on a wound :cry: I get so angry when I hear of owners being told that pain relief is not needed for a Rabbit with sore hocks :cry:

Wow that first pic looks painful, it's great they've healed up! I feel very lucky not to have hock issues with my mini rex. There's been times where he's been missing a little bit of fur on them but they never got all sore & red looking and the fur soon grew back.

Wow, that is lovely to see. Noodles hocks were never as angry as the 1st photo but then never recovered as far as the second photo. How did you treat them?

Firstly by identifying the primary cause and not just assuming it was due to his breed type. The primary cause was found to be early onset arthritis in his hips, right hip worse than left. He was started on treatment that included Metacam, Tramadol, Acupuncture and massage.

Initially he required an 'anti-pressure' dressing on the sore hock. So the ulcerated area was not in contact with the ground. Rather like how a corn plaster works. He had Flamazine applied to the ulcers twice a day. Eventually we had to stop the dressings as whilst he did not chew them his partner, Eliza D, did. She injested some and made herself quite poorly......*sigh*................

Endeavour will always be prone to sore hocks and they will no doubt have flare ups. So even though they are looking good at the moment he is not 'cured' because the primary cause (arthritis) cannot be cured :cry:

Back