• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Meet Trevor & Alys

orangediva

Mama Doe
I didn't want to tempt fate and post about them until I'd actually got them home after my disappointment with the Gumtree bunny last week but please meet Trevor (named after my friend's handsome hubby!) and Alys (named after my favourite celebrity gardener). They are currently living separately but they've been for vaccinations this morning and Trevor is booked for neutering next week:

Trevor:

Alys:

Not the greatest pictures as I didn't want to freak them out with my big camera.

Trevor is incredibly confident, Alys is a bit more shy but they are both so lovely. I wasn't sure I was ready after losing Betty at the beginning of the month but it's really nice to have them here, so I guess I am!

Thanks everyone:)

They're gorgeous:love: are you going to bond them together?

Yes - well that is the hope - of course you never know with rabbits! I do have the space to give them both another partner if they truly hate each other. Hopefully not! It will be a while before I know though. The vet has recommended four weeks post neuter for trying them together and Trevor isn't being done until next week. I'll be reading everything I can on bonding up til then and probably ask a lot of questions. I can't really call what I did with Dennis and Bella "bonding" as it was love at first sight and I didn't actually do anything!

Very cute rabbits :love: I like Alys Fowler too. I'm currently watching her series on i-player for the second time. Hope the neuters and the bonding go well.

Very cute rabbits :love: I like Alys Fowler too. I'm currently watching her series on i-player for the second time. Hope the neuters and the bonding go well.

Thank you. I'm nervous about the neuters but we have a brilliant rabbit friendly vet so I'm staying positive. Just need to set up a second indoor area as he recommended keeping Trevor in for a night or two after his op. Would the shed perhaps be better? It's insulated but not heated and I can put a rug down and his litter tray and hay rack, I'm not sure about having him inside in case he struggles when he goes back outside. Both new buns have been living outside before getting here (but in hutches without runs - I think they are liking their new space!) so they are used to being out.

Yes Alys Fowler is brilliant, I love The Edible Garden and I love her thrifty, eco friendliness - it was watching it the first time round that made me really want to keep chickens, it's taken me about 5 years but I'm nearly there!

Beautiful bunnies and very lucky bunnies, I bet they are eyeing up your lovely garden already. I love their names.

I hope they settle in well together - they look lovely. Regarding his neuter, was the Vet happy to do it so soon after their vaccinations? It takes 3 weeks for the vaccine to become established which needs the immune system to be working well. The stress of the GA and neuter could lower his immune system just when it needs to be strong. I know Jane and MM wouldn't do it. I know time is important but it's only a matter of 2 weeks.

Thanks everyone :wave:

I hope they settle in well together - they look lovely. Regarding his neuter, was the Vet happy to do it so soon after their vaccinations? It takes 3 weeks for the vaccine to become established which needs the immune system to be working well. The stress of the GA and neuter could lower his immune system just when it needs to be strong. I know Jane and MM wouldn't do it. I know time is important but it's only a matter of 2 weeks.

He was, its Craig at Chine House, who I know is pretty rabbit savvy. He actually said he's pretty much full grown with hormones kicking in and neutering as soon as possible would be the best option. I might give them a call and ask about this.

Is Alys spayed? They are both so gorgeous.

Thanks. No she's only about 3 months old. Craig is happy to spay her at five months so, theoretically, there is no rush to get Trevor in as I won't be able to put them together yet anyway. It's just Craig seemed to think getting him done ASAP is the best course of action and didn't mention anything about it being too close to having his vaccinations and I didn't know to ask. I'm a bit more worried about the whole thing now.

I'm going to phone the vets tomorrow to discuss Trevor's neuter. I've searched long and hard for any info/studies/links regarding neutering after vaccinations and recommended time to leave between the two but can't find anything - am I being thick?

No you are not being "thick" and sorry to have worried you. It is a fact that the vaccine takes 3 weeks to take effect and I am surprised the Vet thinks it's ok to go ahead with a neuter (stressful) before the 3 weeks is up. As we know, stress lowers the immune system. To put your mind at rest, or get another opinion, you could start a new thread asking how long between the 2 is the best time. I am quite sure our health experts will agree with what I am saying. I expect your Vet is more worried about your little girl getting pregnant. How is he hormonal?

Back