• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Crackling noise on part of lung

weedug

Mama Doe
Mr Bubble was at the vet again yesterday. The vet could hear a crackling in one lung, but only in part of it. It was there a few weeks ago. He has had a 2 week course of baytril but the noise is still there. The vet wants to try doing a conscious X-ray, but I'm not quite sure Bubble would manage that.

Could the noise be caused by damage from the active ec he has just finished the second treatment for? He only sneezes occasionally, has had his nose pointing upwards for a couple of seconds (no mouth breathing) but not so much now. The vet said he wouldn't expect pneumonia to cause the noise in that area, although he couldn't rule it out.

Any thoughts on possible causes? The vet mentioned a possible thymoma but Bubble doesn't have any other symptoms. I can't remember what else he mentioned :oops:

Also, Bubble is 11. With his age and the recent ec, would a conscious X-ray be a good idea and would it be of benefit to Bubble? I don't want it done just for our information.

Sorry for rambling

I don't have any advice but I wanted to send vibes for Mr Bubble, and hugs for you xx

Thank you Zoobec. I'm quite worried about it because I lost little Faithy to pneumonia last year.

It really depends on him...

Personally I'd be happy to do a conscious xray. It means no anaesthetic and no sedation. He'd be stressed going in to have it done under GA anyway so why not?
The xray will give an indication of what's going it, it could show abnormalities in the lung field, it could show the beginnings of pneumonia, all of which could have treatment started right away before it progressed.
It could also show absolutely nothing wrong and just tell you to monitor him.
If he were my bunny I'd have the xrays done, but only you can make that choice.

Eta: I've kept it vague as don't want possible diagnosis to freak you out xx

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

It really depends on him...

Personally I'd be happy to do a conscious xray. It means no anaesthetic and no sedation. He'd be stressed going in to have it done under GA anyway so why not?
The xray will give an indication of what's going it, it could show abnormalities in the lung field, it could show the beginnings of pneumonia, all of which could have treatment started right away before it progressed.
It could also show absolutely nothing wrong and just tell you to monitor him.
If he were my bunny I'd have the xrays done, but only you can make that choice.

Eta: I've kept it vague as don't want possible diagnosis to freak you out xx

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply. I don't know if I am watching him too closely, but I'm sure I see signs of the ec again. I will really need to give it a good think and discuss things with the vet before we go ahead,

Back