• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hi All - Please help!

jredk04

Warren Scout
Hope you all don't mind me joining you as I don't have a bunny!

But I really, really want a rescue bunny so i'm in the process of reading as much internet info i can and i've visited many web sites including those listed in the members section. i've still got lots of questions to ask about owning a house rabbit before making a the commitment but perhaps the MOST important 'challenge' i have on my hands right now is convincing hubby :evil: that having a house bunny is going to enhance our family life. (i'm a stay at home mum with a little boy of 14months and we've got 2 cats)

Has anyone else found similar resistance with their partner? Just how can i warm him round to the idea.

Thanks in advance.
Julie
:D

Hiya, welcome to the forum :D

Have you tried taking your husband to meet some rabbits? The Bunny Camp Sanctuary which is in Bradford is a good one.

You could also promise to let him name the bun ;)

Tam

Hiya Julie....and I can totally empathise with your dilema, as my Husband was not too keen on having rabbits in the past, but guess what...with a few bribes and tasty treats along the way he soon came around to the idea :lol: :lol: ..no seriously though Tamsins suggestion to take him out to meet some bunnies at a Rescue is an excellent one, and perhaps a sweet bunny (or two) will catch his eye and he will not be able to resist :D

To end on a positive note, my hubby is now as bad, if not worse at collecting bunnies than me....but we now have 26 :lol: :lol: :lol: ..something, somewhere, unlocked the key to his heart, and he realised what he was missing...he cuddles the bunnies more than me now.... :? but I do not really mind, as the house rocks with delightful bunnies and we love them and all they bring to our lives.
Good Luck with changing your Husbands mind, it IS possible!! :D :D :lol: :lol:
Ps. Of course you are welcome to join the Forum , rabbit Keeper or not, as long as you love them, that is all the criteria we ask for :lol:
And anyway, we want to hear what happens next, and if you succeed in changing your hubbys mind, just how you did it :D :lol: ...we can also hear about your choosing a bunny, sweeping it into your arms and bringing it to its forever home, how wonderful that would be. :D

Hi and welcome Julie

I must say it's great you're reading up about getting a bun first, always a good start!

I too am lucky I have someone as supportive as Jim when it comes to rabbits, he helps out where he can but it's not always easy cos his eyesight isn't great, in fact it's diabolical!!!!! But we have a laugh and work together to get things done.

I think it's a good idea too to take your OH to see some rabbits, I bet there'll be one that steals his heart :wink: If you go to a rescue, let him have a wander about on his own while you ask questions, see if one catches his eye!

Thanks

Hey, thanks so much for such a speedy response.

i'll call the sanctuary in bradford tomorrow to ask if it's ok to pop across. i hadn't realised (poor research) that they would welcome visitors as i haven't organised a home visit (yet).

i've just GOTTA change his mind!

thanx
Julie

a small update

well last night it was NOT a definite NO! it was a 'not yet' - which is almost a yes isn't it?

I'm contacting the bunny sanctuary today to find out if it is possible to visit... i think i'd better do a reckie and see what's involved before dragging him along.

Has anyone else had any experience of the Bunny Sanctuary in Bradford?

I really think i'm wearing him down!!!!!!!
Juliex
fingers crossed.
:D

Hi Julie

I am new on this forum as well.

My other half did not want a rabbit either but i went a head and got one anyway. He never really said much but one rare day, OH decided to do the gardening. I asked if Mr Bo-Jangles could accompany him and gave him strict instructions to watch him. After pulling a face he agreed. half an hour later I went into the garden to find that OH had put all the wooden tunnels that i had made all around the edge of the garden where there was soil and our bunny digging away happily in them. OH was laughing and decided it was ok to leave him in his capable hands, so I left the boys to it.

I watched from the window for quiet a while watching them both and I have to say - OH became very smitten and actually started playing with him. Although he would never admit it, my OH actually enjoyed our rabbit when he was left alone with him, I think because when I was around our rabbit was always with me.

Good Luck

Denny

I live with my family in between terms and my dad pretends to hate all animals. He says he hates my two bunnies but he talkes to them when he's gardening and comes running into the house when they go up to him,
"emma, emma come and see what this rabbit of yours has just done!"
He loves them really. Which is good as the week before last I bunny sat for a friend and last week I had a foster bunny.
They love it really, 8)

thanks

denny & emma

I think you are both right. Hubby is a great bloke and really good with animals (we have two cats now). We had two rats a while ago and he loved them to bits and was really upset when they died.

His main objection is to having a rabbit in the house. But i can't keep him/her outside; in the winter we get some really bad weather & it just isn't fair. I haven't got a garden as such, i've a 'hard standing' which can be easily bunny proofed so he/she can get lots of fresh air. I've a room which currently contains my little boy's toys but it's large enough for a bunny hutch too. I'm at home all day, everyday so i can keep bunny entertained and 'odour free' (if this is indeed possible!?).

I can't see why he's getting stressed!!! :x

OOhhhh it's just not fair!
:cry:

Ok tantrum over!

An update re: visiting the bunny sancturay. I've made contact and i'm visiting towards the end of the month!

will keep you posted!

Juliex

I would probably be more sly :wink:
You could pop over to the sanctuary to 'get a better understanding of what you would need etc. etc. before you got one'
You could pretend that the intention is that it lives outside and let the bun come in during the day - when the bad weather comes he could move in - job done!!

LOVE the idea!!!
I'm an aries for goodness sake, I don't know why i'm pandering to his way!!!!! :D :D
I think the next stage is to go, visit, and fall for one. Then drag him kicking and screaming.... get him to fall for her too.

I would love to pretend the bun will live outside but i've said too much to him already... he's now educated. (We live in a v cold area) i've also got a house visit which i'll need to pass and from my understanding so far is that i've to get the house ship shape before inspection so i can't just sneak my bunny in the back door and act all shocked that he's noticed! (A rabbit? what? he's lived here for years!) :D

There's a way - i just gotta find it!

Juliex

He'll come round my hubby did, when we finally got our first bun Buggs he was totally smitten, so much so that he built him a huge new run and insisted on a new large hutch too :D Buggs is now at the rainbow bridge, bless him, still miss him :( . If you look a my sig pic you'll see the two little rascals we have now. They all have their own little personalities, no two are the same. Good luck with the hubby :thumb:

Glad you could join us, everyone here is great :D

Julie, just had a thought, why don't you put your hubby up for rehoming and THEN get a rabbit (or two or three or more!) :lol:

* thinks: great idea Lynda, why didn't you mention it earlier, tch! :roll:

thanks tamsin for the web links. i've drooled over the buns up for adoption, fortunately most are with the bunny sanctuary in bradford - and i've just made contact with them to arrange a meet.

Lynda - he thinks i'm losing the plot! it's all he hears from me. And don't think i haven't thought about your 'rehoming' idea!!!! unfortunately, as he's the breadwinner he'll be paying for buns food and upkeep i'm a bit snookered!

Mandy - i believe the same will happen with my hubby. he has a great nature and he's brilliant with animals. By the way i think benji & bluebell are gorgeous.

Thanks everyone for your support and time - i'll keep you all updated with any developments!

Juliex

:lol: Hi Julie I must confess to sneaking bunnies in the house while my husband is out :wink: (see Harvey's story in the rabbit story section). However much he complains about them he does have a soft spot for them as they have grown on him. He is also in the process of making a gigantic hutch for Harvey.

Back