• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pig?

Sharpie

Warren Scout
I know this is a bunny forum, but I know you lovely lot are very helpful :)
I have a piggie, she's roughly 6 years old, going blind in her right eye and is off some veg atm mainly kiwi and carrot. Still scoffing her hay and lettuce.
The thing that is worrying me is she ran to the door today and squeaked (she does this when I am in the bunnies to make me notice her lol) but she did some weird breathing thing, it was like when we humans try to breathe out again straight after we've already breathed out (If that makes sense) and then continued to squeak?
First time I've heard her do it and she only did it twice before resuming squeaking.
Teeth are fine as well :)
Any ideas?

Not sure exactly what you mean. Have you tried asking on the guinea pig forum? They are brilliant (as is RU).

I'm not sure I know what sort of sound you mean either. There is a sound called 'hooting', which you can find recordings of online. This is associated with heart issues.

Last edited:
Looked up Hooting and it's not that, it's like when we breathe on something to clean it, but more force behind it.
Her mouth was wide open when she did it :/

Could have been a pain response?
Personally, I'd have her checked over due to her age as it could also be the start of something more serious x

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Looked up Hooting and it's not that, it's like when we breathe on something to clean it, but more force behind it.
Her mouth was wide open when she did it :/

Oh did it sound a bit like a rasping gasp? It's just that I've noticed that when piggies get older, they start to lose their voices a bit! I had one lose her voice completely and only ever do that gasping thing!

I think I know the sound you mean as have heard it in person with other older piggies, but as she is also off some food would definitely get her checked by a vet to rule out any underlying conditions just to be sure:

I've found that older pigs can sometimes go through short periods with a slight hoarseness to their voice - particularly if they're quite vocal. Similar to how you describe, they'd be squeaking away to then almost missing a squeak or two and then continue squeaking normally. - not sure if that makes sense?

Yeh that's what it sounds like! As she is very vocal anyone going into the garden she goes mental! And if you go into the area it's like she is screaming "HEY HOOMIN COME SEE ME" lol :)

It was the fact that you said her mouth was wide open that made me think that. As if she is attempting a full on wheek but can't manage it.

It was the fact that you said her mouth was wide open that made me think that. As if she is attempting a full on wheek but can't manage it.
She hasnt done it since, so im assuming thats what it is :)

I think shes going completely blind, today she nearly walked straight out her house (it is above the rabbits run) i had to stop her, then she walked into the straw bag as i was filling her house, had to support the bag otherwise she would've fallen to the floor!

She seems to be able to navigate her house with ease, its just when the door is open she doesnt seem to realise and continues to walk, bless her!

Back