• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

6th bun with stasis since November - Snowflake - U/d post #124

~ILoveMyBunny~

Alpha Buck
Haven't posted here in a little while as a lot of things have happened lately but I posted a little while back about some of the buns. In November Cody, who had had weight problems for a while (too thin), went into a very bad episode of stasis where we nearly lost him. Two days later Maple went down and we lost her (we suspect she also had EC). Going forward to January Honey appeared to be going into stasis on and off but managed to recover on her own. At the start of February Jazzie went into stasis but thankfully we caught it very early and 30 mins after treatment she was back to eating. About two weeks ago Pinot had a brief episode but like Honey managed to get himself through it before the vet opened and returned to normal.

This morning Snowflake was refusing food and had only the smallest amount of coriander. She's been at the vet for most of the day being monitored. She was given the injections (metaclop and the one begining with R that I always forget the name of:oops:) and painkillers. Apparently she was quite active and loved the critical care from the syringe so much that they gave her some in a bowl and she ate it quite enthusiastically. They discharged her just before they closed but they said she hasn't done any droppings. She's been home for nearly an hour nd still none. She won't have any food, critical care, treats, fresh veg etc. And she feels a bit cold. I've just heated her a snugglesafe and my Mum's hugging her to keep her warm but I'm really worried, she seems just as bad as when we took her up this morning.

I'm worried about Snowflake as she doesn't seem to have picked up but I'm also worried because this just isn't normal. Six seperate rabbits - who don't all live together - have had stasis episodes since November? That just can't be right, there has to be a link? Problem is I can't figure out what it could be. The diet is the same, perhaps I use kale a little more than I should but I try to vary the veg as much as possible. They always have hay and they only have a small amount of fibafirst for their pellets. No new foods, everything's the same as it has always been.
On an unrelated note we also lost our dog Max in January to spleen cancer. Nothing's going right :cry:

Last edited:
I'm sorry things aren't going well :cry: sending lots of vibes to Snowflake. I hope someone can offer advice.is your vet rabbit savvy?

Sending lots of vibes for Snowflake.

I can't offer any suggestions regarding a link between the stasis episodes. Perhaps it's just a horrible coincidence :?

It must be becoming very stressful for you :(

I'm very sorry about Max :cry:

Thank you both. My normal vet is very rabbit savvy but unfortunately wasn't in today. It was the head vet we saw. He's very good but I'm not sure about his rabbit knowledge. It seems okay but I'd like to have seen our regular vet ideally. We've had some very major unexpected money problems recently, one of which being Max whose vet bill came to over £600 + app £220 for his cremation. I think he knew that as he very kindly did an ultrasound on her free of charge.
I've just got back from a trip up the supermarket to grab her some fresh herbs but she hasn't moved at all. I've washed some and left them for her - nothing :( I also bought her favourite dried herbs as I remember they were the first thing she'd eat after her spay. Again, no interest. She feels very cold and she either doesn't want to move or can't. I don't know what to do. I really feel she's in a serious state and in all honesty I think she should be up the emergency vet, but I literally can't afford it. My bank account literally has less than £5 left in it now. Some of the things that have happened recently have severely reduced our income for the time being and I haven't had a chance to recover financially.
I don't know what to do. I really don't think she's in a good position and in all honesty I don't think she should have been discharged. Normally they refer to Vets Now after closing time but he never said anything about it.
I feel awful, I don't know what to do :/

Thank you both. My normal vet is very rabbit savvy but unfortunately wasn't in today. It was the head vet we saw. He's very good but I'm not sure about his rabbit knowledge. It seems okay but I'd like to have seen our regular vet ideally. We've had some very major unexpected money problems recently, one of which being Max whose vet bill came to over £600 + app £220 for his cremation. I think he knew that as he very kindly did an ultrasound on her free of charge.
I've just got back from a trip up the supermarket to grab her some fresh herbs but she hasn't moved at all. I've washed some and left them for her - nothing :( I also bought her favourite dried herbs as I remember they were the first thing she'd eat after her spay. Again, no interest. She feels very cold and she either doesn't want to move or can't. I don't know what to do. I really feel she's in a serious state and in all honesty I think she should be up the emergency vet, but I literally can't afford it. My bank account literally has less than £5 left in it now. Some of the things that have happened recently have severely reduced our income for the time being and I haven't had a chance to recover financially.
I don't know what to do. I really don't think she's in a good position and in all honesty I don't think she should have been discharged. Normally they refer to Vets Now after closing time but he never said anything about it.
I feel awful, I don't know what to do :/

I'm really sorry for the position you're in with Snowflake :(

Regarding the incidences of stasis amongst your buns, I think it's certainly worth investigating how this may be happening. It may be diet related, or stress, or anything. Some people on the Forum have multiple buns who suffer stasis and blockages really regularly, and others hardly have a case of stasis in many many years.

For Snowflake, if this we me in your situation, I would first get some Infacol and give her that. One ml every hour for three doses, and then one ml three times daily. I would also do some tummy rubs (check with your vet that he's happy with that if you're not sure)

This is Infacol, if you have't come across it before:

http://www.infacol.co.uk

The drops are expensive, but well worth it.

Have a read here:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv/basic

You might find a gem that will help your rabbit without the need for expensive vet treatment. Again, I would try and check anything you do with your vet first, but it sounds like you have a real problem and it's the weekend, so OOH vets.

Good luck - please let me know how you go xx

I would ring vets now and tell them your situation. At the very least you should get a call back from a vet that will be able to give you some advice.
I'm sorry that you are going through this. Just continue to keep her warm. Are you syringe feeding her still? Did they send you home with any drugs?
X

MightyMax:
Thank you so much. No, I really can't see how this can possibly be a coincidence. This just can't be normal, not six different rabbits who, as I say, aren't even all together. My normal vet wanted them all to have panacur back in november and then repeated in 3 months as she was worried about EC. I just started the second round three days ago. The panacur couldn't have upset her could it? She was fine with it before. She's only had two doses. I asked the vet today and he advised be to stop giving it to her until she was over this.
Diet is usually my first thought with stasis as my first rabbit Willow suffered with it quite a lot and I linked it to certain foods. She seemed to be okay once I figured out what they were and eliminated them from her diet. My dad refused to take her to a vet as he didn't like to spend money on anything that wasn't important to him so I had to get her through it each time without treatment, poor girl.

I've never heard of Infacol but I think there's a 24hr Boots nearby that should hopefully sell it. But is it safe with all the other drugs she's been given? I know she's had metaclop and the other drug begining with R (still can't remember what it's called but I'm sure you know the one :oops:) and a painkiller (don't know what it was though). I'm not sure if he gave her anything else but I'm sure he mentioned four different drugs. Will the Infacol conflict with them?

Thank you so much for the links. I know I've read the top one before but I will definitely read it again as I have a terrible memory.

Rubbing Willow, trying to get her moving and getting her to drink water was what got her through every episode of stasis she had. I will try rubbing her and see if she's okay with it or not.
Thank you so much. I will definitely post an update when something changes - hopefully for the better.

Roxyroller88: That's a good idea, I might call them in a minute but I doubt they'll be able to help without seeing her. I phoned them about Max and they wouldn't give out too much advice over the phone and said they couldn't offer any advice at all about drugs without seeing the animal.
Yes, they sent her home with metacam and critical care. I've offered it in a bowl and by syringe but she hasn't been interested. I haven't been too forceful about it as they told me she'd eaten a lot of critical care at the vets earlier but I'm going to give it another attemt in a minute. I hope she'll have some this time. I don't want to force it on her if she really doesn't want it but I'll try being a bit more persuasive. I do have some Fibreplex as well that I bought for emergencies, do you think I should offer her some of that?

Well I tried her with more critical care and she won't have it. I'm really worried about her dehydrating too as I know stasis will dehydrate a rabbit but she's refusing water by syringe too. She did drink a very small amount from a dish earlier but that's it.
Still no droppings but she has wet. It's a very odd colour though - does critical care change the colour of urine? It's a dark murky colour. I don't remember that happening when Cody and Jazzie were on it?

Simethicone (infacol) is fine to use alongside other drugs. I have a stasis prone bun and use it A LOT alongside a variety of different meds.

More info here;
'Simethicone (liquid, pediatric suspension or tablets) is essential for the relief of gas pain which usually accompanies ileus. For relief of acute gas pain, 1-2 cc (20mg/ml suspension) can be given as often as every hour for three doses, then 1 cc every three to eight hours. This substance has no known drug interactions, is not absorbed through the intestinal lining and acts only on a mechanical principle: it changes the surface tension of the frothy gas bubbles in the gut, joining them into larger, easier-to-pass bubbles. Simethicone is practically inert, and is safe to give, even as a precaution, as long as it is not given long term.'

I know that financially you're not in a good place right now but could you possibly lend some money off a friend/family member? Unfortunately if she is refusing the critical care and any fluids then she is going to have to see a vet again before Monday :(

Thank you so much Roxyroller88. That's great, in that case I'll have a look and see if I can get some. We weren't expecting the things that have happened to us recently.. I had money saved away as 'insurance' but we've had over £2500 in vets fees since November and it's all gone. It's taking me a while to build it back up again.
I know, to be honest unless she picks up in the next few hours I really think she needs to see a vet again. Problem is I don't get paid until Monday and they are very insistant on paying up front. I've been trying to see if I can get a loan but most companies won't consider me because technically I'm unemployed (I'm a carer for my disabled mother and, unofficially, for my disabled brother). I'll get £120 on Monday from my carer's allowance and income support (it's £62 one week, £120 the next - thankfully this is a higher-paying week), normally a portion of that would go into bills, shopping etc but my priority now is Snowflake. Problem is that doesn't help me until Monday.
Unfortunately I have no friends and the only family I have wouldn't care enough to lend me money so it's either try a loan company or nothing. There's a company called Carefree Credit who are supposed to help with vets bills by offering a low cost or interest free loan (provided it's paid back within a year) but looking at it today it looks like they don't work weekends :/
Only other thing I could try, though I don't think it will help, is asking the RSPCA or Blue Cross. When Max got an infection a little while ago the RSPCA helped by paying his consult fee. PDSA wouldn't help as we weren't on qualifying benefits. I'm not sure if the Blue Cross will help or not but they gave us a voucher towards her spay so maybe. I hate to ask that of a charity but if I'm out of options all I care about right now is getting her better. I can gradually donate back whatever they might pay. Problem is, again, it's a weekend and I don't know who will be working :/

Rabbit certainly pick their moments to get ill. Mine always get ill in the middle of the night or over the weekend :roll:

Yes, Vets Now do always seem very insistent on paying upfront even when you have insurance but I believe that it is actually down to the vet on duty as to whether or not they will accept direct claims or payment plans. The website says the following;

'What if I can’t afford treatment?

If you can’t afford the full range of treatment for your pet, please tell the vet as soon as possible. The vet may be able to tailor the treatment options to suit a restricted budget. If this is the case they will discuss with you the potential risks of declining any aspect of the recommended diagnostic/treatment plan. If this is not possible, the vet may offer you some time to pay your bill, however the treatment options will be restricted to emergency treatment and first aid.
If your pet is registered with the PDSA please advise our Contact Centre Call Handler, or the clinic staff, immediately on arrival at the clinic. You will need to bring your registration certificate with you to the clinic; proof of entitlement to benefits is not sufficient.'

So maybe it might be worth calling and explaining your situation.

Thank you again so much, that's brilliant! And yes, with one exception it has always been on a weekend/bank holiday/middle of the night for us too.
I just went to a Tesco Express and they had one bottle of Infacol left! I'm going to try her on it now and see how she goes. If she doesn't pick up in an hour or so I'll call Vets Now and ask what I should do.
Thank you so much!

MightyMax:
Thank you so much. No, I really can't see how this can possibly be a coincidence. This just can't be normal, not six different rabbits who, as I say, aren't even all together. My normal vet wanted them all to have panacur back in november and then repeated in 3 months as she was worried about EC. I just started the second round three days ago. The panacur couldn't have upset her could it? She was fine with it before. She's only had two doses. I asked the vet today and he advised be to stop giving it to her until she was over this.
Diet is usually my first thought with stasis as my first rabbit Willow suffered with it quite a lot and I linked it to certain foods. She seemed to be okay once I figured out what they were and eliminated them from her diet. My dad refused to take her to a vet as he didn't like to spend money on anything that wasn't important to him so I had to get her through it each time without treatment, poor girl.

I've never heard of Infacol but I think there's a 24hr Boots nearby that should hopefully sell it. But is it safe with all the other drugs she's been given? I know she's had metaclop and the other drug begining with R (still can't remember what it's called but I'm sure you know the one :oops:) and a painkiller (don't know what it was though). I'm not sure if he gave her anything else but I'm sure he mentioned four different drugs. Will the Infacol conflict with them?

Thank you so much for the links. I know I've read the top one before but I will definitely read it again as I have a terrible memory.

Rubbing Willow, trying to get her moving and getting her to drink water was what got her through every episode of stasis she had. I will try rubbing her and see if she's okay with it or not.
Thank you so much. I will definitely post an update when something changes - hopefully for the better.

Roxyroller88: That's a good idea, I might call them in a minute but I doubt they'll be able to help without seeing her. I phoned them about Max and they wouldn't give out too much advice over the phone and said they couldn't offer any advice at all about drugs without seeing the animal.
Yes, they sent her home with metacam and critical care. I've offered it in a bowl and by syringe but she hasn't been interested. I haven't been too forceful about it as they told me she'd eaten a lot of critical care at the vets earlier but I'm going to give it another attemt in a minute. I hope she'll have some this time. I don't want to force it on her if she really doesn't want it but I'll try being a bit more persuasive. I do have some Fibreplex as well that I bought for emergencies, do you think I should offer her some of that?

You're really welcome :D

As Roxy has said - Infacol is fine to give alongside *any drugs* so don't worry. And yes, do offer some Fibreplex - it can only help at this stage :)

Thank you again so much, that's brilliant! And yes, with one exception it has always been on a weekend/bank holiday/middle of the night for us too.
I just went to a Tesco Express and they had one bottle of Infacol left! I'm going to try her on it now and see how she goes. If she doesn't pick up in an hour or so I'll call Vets Now and ask what I should do.
Thank you so much!

Hi there!

Good luck with the Infacol and tummy rubs. You could also get some baby food - plain fruit or veg, no sugar, and mix it with the critical care. A lot of buns don't like the flavour of CC. You could also whizz up a piece of apple or banana and flavour some mushed up pellets. Anything that she will eat really.

You could also try flavouring some water - if you have a blender, and make a very weak apple juice. Sometimes rabbits like that better as it's sweeter, and it will help hydrate her.

Please let us know what the vet says :)

I can't read all this very well on my phone, but have you got or tried peppermint tea? It's great for bunny tummies.

My stasis buns experience was that I had two bunnies going in and out of it constantly. Eventually it turned out to be EC related, and I have known other people with the same issue.

You could also get some baby food - plain fruit or veg, no sugar, and mix it with the critical care. A lot of buns don't like the flavour of CC. You could also whizz up a piece of apple or banana and flavour some mushed up pellets. Anything that she will eat really.

You could also try flavouring some water - if you have a blender, and make a very weak apple juice. Sometimes rabbits like that better as it's sweeter, and it will help hydrate her.

Please let us know what the vet says :)
I've got some carrot flavour Ella's Kitchen in the buns emergency box, I was thinking of trying to add some in as I know she likes it.
I'm trying any safe food I can find in the hopes she'll start eating. She's looked at the parsley a few times, even picked it up so I know she wants it. I think she just doesn't feel up to it :(

I can't read all this very well on my phone, but have you got or tried peppermint tea? It's great for bunny tummies.
I think I've tried them all on peppermint tea in the past and I can't get any of them to go near it :roll:

Please let us know how you get on :)
Did the vet check her teeth? xx
Oops sorry, forgot to mention that. Yes he checked them thoroughly and he said they were great, which was a relief.

I've just given her the second dose of Infacol and some Fibreplex. Both were met with disappoval but I think she was slightly better with the Fibreplex than the Critical Care so I might keep her going on that too. Just as well I bought it for an emergency! I'll definitely keep some Infacol on hand at all times from now on.
Still no droppings at all :/
If she's still like this by the time my normal vet opens she's going straight up there, I'll deal with the consequences later. Hopefully they just might let me pay Monday but right now I just want her getting the treatment she needs, I don't care if I get in trouble for it.

I will keep the thread updated. Thank you all so much xx

Edit: I brushed a bit of water on her lips and she's now drinking from a saucer for the first time in hours, so some good news!

Phew. I'm glad that she is at least showing a little bit of interest in some food and water!
How are you getting on with the tummy rubs? If you listen to her belly are there any gut sounds at all?
Do you have any dried Dandelion or Plantain? It seems to be one of the first things that my buns go for when they have been poorly :)
Is your vets open tomorrow with it being a Sunday? If so then make sure they give you some gut stimulants to bring home with you so you can continue treatment at home.
When is she next due some Metacam?
x

Back