• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What's the strangest thing your bunnies have tried to eat?

DemiS

Warren Veteran
Any other bunnies who are obsessed with the strangest of non-bunny foods?

My list so far (all accidental, I'd never offer these to rabbits)
- Fish cake
- Cadburys cream egg
- Onion ring crisps
- Anything with chocolate, including wrappers that smell like chocolate
- Cheese sandwich
- Egg mayonaise
- Fake (polystyrene?) fireplace coals

Their newest obsession is custard creams. I was sat on the sofa trying to open the top of the pack, didn't see Elmo sneak up and chew a big hole through the bottom :roll: Now I can't have them in the room or they'll go crazy trying to get to them, if they smell it on my breath they try stick their head in my mouth :shock:

Goes to show the importance of keeping your food away from rabbits, I never would of thought they'd eat most of this stuff so it was a shock when I started living with house bunnies! Luckily they're brilliant hay eaters and prefer kale over things like carrot, and haven't touched the wooden sofa legs and skirting boards :thumb:

Perhaps even more oddly, they don't like banana and won't eat vegetables that have previously been frozen

We had an albino Rex, Alice, some years ago. Hubby dropped a custard cream on the floor one morning, Alice rushed over, picked it up and took it under the table to eat it. He gave her a biscuit most mornings. She loved them. Trouble is, custard creams are fattening.!!

None of this is ever intentional-

-cat food (dry)
-books
-white chocolate toblerone
-a stray guinea pig poop
-paper in all sorts of ways

They have also enjoyed trying to eat: (amongst others)
-leather bookmark
-faux leather
-glasses case
-table leg
-a (full) lemonade bottle (a couple of nips and it quickly started hissing. They ran.)
-my handbag
-tablecloths
-placemats

...oh I'm sure there's so much I'm forgetting.

...needless to say, my rabbits keep teaching me where the holes in my bunnyproofing are.

I had a very much in love bonded pair and the male bunny would regularly eat his partner's long eyelashes.

Jake once went on the back of the sofa, reached up on the kitchen side and ate almost half a bowl of Bombay mix :oops: I was terrified he'd be ill, but no ill effects thankfully!! Partner got a good telling off for leaving it there and a valuable lessen was learned not to trust bunnies cant reach things!!

Any other bunnies who are obsessed with the strangest of non-bunny foods?

My list so far (all accidental, I'd never offer these to rabbits)
- Fish cake
- Cadburys cream egg
- Onion ring crisps
- Anything with chocolate, including wrappers that smell like chocolate
- Cheese sandwich
- Egg mayonaise
- Fake (polystyrene?) fireplace coals

Their newest obsession is custard creams. I was sat on the sofa trying to open the top of the pack, didn't see Elmo sneak up and chew a big hole through the bottom :roll: Now I can't have them in the room or they'll go crazy trying to get to them, if they smell it on my breath they try stick their head in my mouth :shock:

Goes to show the importance of keeping your food away from rabbits, I never would of thought they'd eat most of this stuff so it was a shock when I started living with house bunnies! Luckily they're brilliant hay eaters and prefer kale over things like carrot, and haven't touched the wooden sofa legs and skirting boards :thumb:

Perhaps even more oddly, they don't like banana and won't eat vegetables that have previously been frozen

Hector goes mad over belvita breakfast biscuits. He can smell them on my breath too. Bizzare.

He's also had a go at a friend's full English breakfast which he put down on the table. Oops!

Boots once ate a dry cat biscuit before he was rumbled :lol: I think he must have liked them as if that door was ever left open he made a bee line for them :lol:

Crikey I wouldn't even know where to start with Petra. She's had rice before, noodles (still sulking over that one), stolen crackers, crisps, anything with a wrapper, shoelaces, shoes, curtains, cheese, basically anything that she can steal she will do!!

Bella ate a cat toy. One of those little plastic balls with rubber spikes on it. She ate the whole thing. And was somehow fine.

Boris mainly ate wallpaper and orchids :lol:

Aww, I miss those two :(

My boy likes a fish paste sandwhich. Sardine and tomatoe to be precise. Vet said a small amount wont hurt as hes not eating properly at the mo.

rm36

Rhubarb leaves...

On the custard cream note, a friend's bunny (when we were kids in about 1989-90) was pretty much fed entirely on custard creams for the whole of her 5-6yr life! :S

My outdoor buns cant access anything but my indoor rabbit is terrible for eating anything he isn't allowed!! He can seek out chocolate no matter how safe I think ive hidden it, he likes cornflakes and bread... even chips but this is all things he has stolen not what we have willingly given!!

When Olly was little he tried his damnedest once to get into my mouth for the after eight mint I was eating :lol: and the same with chocolate orange!

Back