• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Belly fur not growing back after over a year...

tlcwrites

Mama Doe
Ok so this is a strange one...

Selene has her own thread and was spayed March 2016. Her fur hasn't grown back except in a couple of tiny tufts. She has a liver tumour. Selene lived outside until April. She was then indoors until July 2016. We brought her and Elphie in for good late November 2016.

...weirder still, and I only noticed this at the vets on Weds...

Rivergrace was spayed prior to my adopting her. I assume the spay was about December 2015. I adopted her January 2016. She's moulted whilst here (her coat has literally transformed from pale grey to pale grey with auburn highlights). The vet gave her a clean bill of health when she had her nobivac vaccine on Weds. Her belly is ALSO still bare. I hadn't noticed before because River has fear related aggression and whilst she's calmed down a lot in the year we've had her, she's still skittish. I don't like to stress her by handling her any more than absolutely necessary. Since we've had her, River was indoors until about April 2016. She has lived outdoors ever since.

I adopted Morningstar with River. (their bond broke, and both were rebonded with others) They were spayed, presumably around the same time. Morning's belly has fur now. Persephone floof was my most recent spay (July 2016) and her coat has filled out too.

I wanted to know if anyone has any theories as to what's going on with my girls.

Hormonal changes that a spay causes can effect fur growth in general and may effect some Rabbits more than others. Whether that applies for Selene and Rivergrace I have no idea. One of my Does, Lady Lydia, never had full fur regrowth after her spay, just some downy fluff x

Thank you, Jane. As River otherwise has a clean bill of health, I'm sure that's the case. Selene is just complicated in other ways. I'm glad that the downy fluff on the otherwise shaved belly is probably nothing too untoward.

Back