• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dentistry & Insurance claiming

FloLo

Alpha Buck
Hi all,

I'm with petplan for Flo and Tubsy.
Flo had a dental June last year as she wasn't eating well and petplan paid out for it classing it as a gastrointestinal/stasis problem.
She has had two dentals since, one in December where she had an ulcerated tongue and one this week. Petplan have said they won't pay for these as they are 'rasping teeth' which isn't covered, though they've covered her previous dental.

Has anyone else found it difficult to claim money back from dentals? I'm worried because it's a lot of money and if she is going to have them every 2 months then vets bills are going to rack up very quickly!

Thanks!

Sorry Flo has dental problems, my bridge bun Toffee, had to have dentals every few weeks. Both my buns were/are insured with Petplan, to be honest I never even tried to claim for dental work, as I assumed it wouldn't have been covered. Just a thought, but maybe it was the wording from your vet, on the first claims form, that led to them paying out ? Was Flo originally referred to the vets with G.I. issues, which turned out to be a dental issue ? I'm sure others will come along with more ideas.

I've never had an experience with dental claims in bunnies.. But my vet always told me that if you claim for the first dental within 12 months of your bunny having to have a GA, and this is always clearly noted on the notes that they have checked their teeth.. I'm sure you can claim! But maybe others with more experience can help xx

Topping up the vibes for flo, how's she doing now? Xx

Thanks - she does get regular dental checks but I think it's because her teeth had to be rasped they won't pay out, unless it's affecting her health (e.g. Gut stasis).

She is doing brilliantly now thanks! She always eats loads after dentals, such a hardy soul!! Which is weird because she is super sensitive to spurs 😂

I think it depends on the company.

Mine are insured with NCI who cover dentals providing the rabbit has regular health/teeth checks.

I cannot comment on making an actual dental claim as fortunately I have not had to do so. However when Nancy first had mucky eye issues they paid out in full for a claim which included the filing down of a very small tooth spur.

They won't cover preexisting conditions though. Will isn't covered for 'unexplained ' GI stasis (ie no obvious cause).

It is a lifetime policy so Nancy's eye/teeth issues will continue to be covered.

Back