• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help with medication and what food to mix it with!

Milla

Young Bun
Hello everyone.... It's been a while since i've been on here but i'm on half term so I have some spare time.

My rabbit Whisper has a bad cold so we took her to the vets who was very good. She confirmed she had a bad cold and gave her some Sulfatrim Oral drops that she used with a pipette straight into their mouth. Now as me and my brother have a rabbit each we have to give them both it. Dusty struggled but was ok with taking it, but Whisper hated it. The vet was very good, but my dad this morning has given her it and she hated it and now won't come out of her hutch. This makes me really upset, although my dad says that its for the best.

My question is can i mix it with something like apple in a mush so it doesn't upset her?

She's coming on great now and is happy with me, I don't want to spoil this.

Many thanks, Milla...

Hello everyone.... It's been a while since i've been on here but i'm on half term so I have some spare time.

My rabbit Whisper has a bad cold so we took her to the vets who was very good. She confirmed she had a bad cold and gave her some Sulfatrim Oral drops that she used with a pipette straight into their mouth. Now as me and my brother have a rabbit each we have to give them both it. Dusty struggled but was ok with taking it, but Whisper hated it. The vet was very good, but my dad this morning has given her it and she hated it and now won't come out of her hutch. This makes me really upset, although my dad says that its for the best.

My question is can i mix it with something like apple in a mush so it doesn't upset her?

Many thanks, Milla...

Hello again :)

I am sorry to hear that Whisper has a respiratory tract infection and that Dusty is in need of treatment too. Personally I think it is always better to give medication directly into the Bunny's mouth to ensure that they receive the full dose. Can your Dad do all of the medicating and as he does so you stay out of sight. Then once the dose has been given you could try to tempt Whisper to 'talk' to you by offering her a tasty treat. That way she wont associate you with the nasty medication giving.

Mixing the dose with some fruit/veg puree ( the pouches of baby food are useful eg http://shop.ellaskitchen.co.uk/collections/from-4-months/products/carrots-carrots-carrots ) may disguise the taste but it is still usually best to syringe it directly into Bunny's mouth.

Hopefully your Dad will be able to continue to be IC medication. I hope that both Bunnies will respond well to their antibiotic treatment x

Hello again :)

I am sorry to hear that Whisper has a respiratory tract infection and that Dusty is in need of treatment too. Personally I think it is always better to give medication directly into the Bunny's mouth to ensure that they receive the full dose. Can your Dad do all of the medicating and as he does so you stay out of sight. Then once the dose has been given you could try to tempt Whisper to 'talk' to you by offering her a tasty treat. That way she wont associate you with the nasty medication giving.

Mixing the dose with some fruit/veg puree ( the pouches of baby food are useful eg http://shop.ellaskitchen.co.uk/collections/from-4-months/products/carrots-carrots-carrots ) may disguise the taste but it is still usually best to syringe it directly into Bunny's mouth.

Hopefully your Dad will be able to continue to be IC medication. I hope that both Bunnies will respond well to their antibiotic treatment x

My dad said he doesn't mind, but Whisper really didn't like it and still hasn't come down from her room. He will try again tonight and see if they are better as they know what is coming.

Thank you. Your rabbit looks cheeky in your picture.

Many thanks, Milla...

Hi Milla :wave:

Medicating a rabbit who doesn't want to be medicated is no mean feat, as I'm sure you know - they can be very strong and extremely wriggly when they've a mind to!

Yes you can certainly mix meds with other foods. Apple mush is great! I often use an organic baby food - apples, apples and pears, carrot and parsnip. You can find organic brands in most supermarkets - often much cheaper if you get them from such places as Lidl or Aldi :)

Can your Dad help a bit? I know it's not very nice giving them meds, but someone has to be the 'bad guy'

Good luck Milla :)

My dad said he doesn't mind, but Whisper really didn't like it and still hasn't come down from her room. He will try again tonight and see if they are better as they know what is coming.

Thank you. Your rabbit looks cheeky in your picture.

He was my soul mate xx

Ah that's lovely.

Ok, so they both HATE the treatment. My mum bought some 'Ella's organic pouches'.... rabbits licked it once and that was it.
We bought some lovely sweet apples... made loads of holes in a slice, put the 4ml in a piece only for the rabbits to sniff it and hop away! But they love apple!!!

We have just started day 4 of treatment and my dad now crouches on the floor and gets a soft towel and puts it around them and gently strokes them. They are still getting the medicine but Whisper is trying to push it out with her tongue.
She gets very worked up and pants. My dad tells me to leave so they can't see me. He's the bad guy and I'm the good girl he says.

Not sure how long the treatment will last but we have wasted 4 or 5 lots due to trying new things.

I really hope it works and the rabbits will realise that we are only trying to help.

I have found a small slice of apple with the medicine dripped onto it will usually temp bunny. They like apple. Although as you've tried that, what about a squirt of meds inside a raisin. They probably don't like the smell of the medicine.

Last edited:
Ah that's lovely.

Ok, so they both HATE the treatment. My mum bought some 'Ella's organic pouches'.... rabbits licked it once and that was it.
We bought some lovely sweet apples... made loads of holes in a slice, put the 4ml in a piece only for the rabbits to sniff it and hop away! But they love apple!!!

We have just started day 4 of treatment and my dad now crouches on the floor and gets a soft towel and puts it around them and gently strokes them. They are still getting the medicine but Whisper is trying to push it out with her tongue.
She gets very worked up and pants. My dad tells me to leave so they can't see me. He's the bad guy and I'm the good girl he says.

Not sure how long the treatment will last but we have wasted 4 or 5 lots due to trying new things.

I really hope it works and the rabbits will realise that we are only trying to help.

How about dropping the meds onto something like a malted shreddie?
My lot hate them but I have it on good authority that it works for some :lol:

Back