• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Wet nose

xywolf

New Kit
So, i adopted a 9 month old boy mix breed from Pets at Home about 4 days ago, to keep my girl rabbit company!
Adopting from there gives you a free health check, and neutering from the in house vets (So i thought great)
He's really skittish, i don't think he's been handled much and he's a bit nervous from the move, which is as expected! So i haven't really been able to get a proper look at him yet till yesterday.
He's not been touching his hay, or other dry forage I've been offering, not really touched his nuggets but has been eating all the fresh food I've given him. It seems like he's hardly touched his water either.

My OH noticed that the fur on his front legs is dry and matted? So i picked him up to check him over and they're dry and crusty, and his nose is wet. I've read this is from wiping his snotty nose.
He occasionally makes a snorting nose, like he's blowing out his nose really hard, but there's no mucus. Its just wet and a little slimey to touch.
He otherwise actually seems really healthy. He's really quite active, runs around his pen happily. Been doing some binkys, cleaning himself regular.
Other than the lack of eating and the wet nose he seems fine? I took him to the vets for pets for his free health check, the lady said he seems really healthy. She did ask me if he'd been sneezing, i said he had (as i didn't really know how else to describe this noise he was making) She checked his nose and said he was fine. (this vets isn't my usual vets)

I'm worried its pasteurella? But, just noting that he'd been being fed the pets at home own brand nuggets and hay while at the store (where he had been up for adoption for 2 days) which, i'm gonna go out on a limb and say was different to what he'd been being fed before. I brought their brand hay and nuggets, to aid the change over process to our hay and nuggets. I've noticed the hay is REALLY dusty, could it be this?

I just wanted a little advice before he goes to vets again. Thanks!

So, i adopted a 9 month old boy mix breed from Pets at Home about 4 days ago, to keep my girl rabbit company!
Adopting from there gives you a free health check, and neutering from the in house vets (So i thought great)
He's really skittish, i don't think he's been handled much and he's a bit nervous from the move, which is as expected! So i haven't really been able to get a proper look at him yet till yesterday.
He's not been touching his hay, or other dry forage I've been offering, not really touched his nuggets but has been eating all the fresh food I've given him. It seems like he's hardly touched his water either.

My OH noticed that the fur on his front legs is dry and matted? So i picked him up to check him over and they're dry and crusty, and his nose is wet. I've read this is from wiping his snotty nose.
He occasionally makes a snorting nose, like he's blowing out his nose really hard, but there's no mucus. Its just wet and a little slimey to touch.
He otherwise actually seems really healthy. He's really quite active, runs around his pen happily. Been doing some binkys, cleaning himself regular.
Other than the lack of eating and the wet nose he seems fine? I took him to the vets for pets for his free health check, the lady said he seems really healthy. She did ask me if he'd been sneezing, i said he had (as i didn't really know how else to describe this noise he was making) She checked his nose and said he was fine. (this vets isn't my usual vets)

I'm worried its pasteurella? But, just noting that he'd been being fed the pets at home own brand nuggets and hay while at the store (where he had been up for adoption for 2 days) which, i'm gonna go out on a limb and say was different to what he'd been being fed before. I brought their brand hay and nuggets, to aid the change over process to our hay and nuggets. I've noticed the hay is REALLY dusty, could it be this?

Hello

Dusty hay can certainly irritate a Rabbit's respiratory tract. Did the Vet check the Rabbit's teeth ? Sneezing and not eating hard food can be a sign of Dental problems.

What is the Rabbit's poo output like ?

Can you take measures to minimise dust from the Rabbit's environment. Is he being housed outdoors ? If the symptoms you have described persist then I'd take him back to a Vet. Respiratory Tract infections can be triggered by stress and the Rabbit has obviously had a stressful time recently, being placed in P@H adoption from his original home and then two days later being homed somewhere else. I am actually surprised that P@H rehomed him after just 2 days. They are meant to keep new intakes in store for at least 5 days to make sure that all is OK :?

Hi there and welcome to the Forum :wave:

Yes it could be dusty hay, but it could also be something that needs dealing with by giving antibiotics. It's hard to say. Even if there is no white discharge, the way you've described it on his front paws would need some attention.

Would you take him to your usual vet for a check up? I feel this would be appropriate - not sure which vet you intend to use?

Rabbits with dental problem don't eat hay on the whole, but they *will* usually chomp up their pellets. The reason being, that they cannot grind hay with their back teeth as it's a side to side motion, but chomping up and down on pellets is much easier for a dental rabbit. I've had 25 years experience of dental buns :roll:

What about wood shavings? Pets at Home usually keep their rabbits on wood shavings and this can cause awful respiratory issues:

http://www.rabbit.org/care/shavings.html

If you're using them now, I would get rid of them. I use just newspaper and hay for litter trays. You could use another suitably non dusty product maybe?

To answer your question about pasturella - even if it is that, a rabbit can cope with is, and it doesn't necessarily pass to a friend/partner, so please don't worry about that!

Hello

Dusty hay can certainly irritate a Rabbit's respiratory tract. Did the Vet check the Rabbit's teeth ? Sneezing and not eating hard food can be a sign of Dental problems.

What is the Rabbit's poo output like ?

Can you take measures to minimise dust from the Rabbit's environment. Is he being housed outdoors ? If the symptoms you have described persist then I'd take him back to a Vet. Respiratory Tract infections can be triggered by stress and the Rabbit has obviously had a stressful time recently, being placed in P@H adoption from his original home and then two days later being homed somewhere else. I am actually surprised that P@H rehomed him after just 2 days. They are meant to keep new intakes in store for at least 5 days to make sure that all is OK :?

hey thanks for getting back! He's being raised indoors.
his poops are small and black like my girls were when she stopped eating.
i did give him, some critical care earlier this morning because im so worried. Vets this weekend, with my actual vets (manor vets)

hey thanks for getting back! He's being raised indoors.
his poops are small and black like my girls were when she stopped eating.
i did give him, some critical care earlier this morning because im so worried. Vets this weekend, with my actual vets (manor vets)

If it's the Manor Vets I am thinking of you'll be in good hands there :)

Hi there and welcome to the Forum :wave:

Yes it could be dusty hay, but it could also be something that needs dealing with by giving antibiotics. It's hard to say. Even if there is no white discharge, the way you've described it on his front paws would need some attention.

Would you take him to your usual vet for a check up? I feel this would be appropriate - not sure which vet you intend to use?

Rabbits with dental problem don't eat hay on the whole, but they *will* usually chomp up their pellets. The reason being, that they cannot grind hay with their back teeth as it's a side to side motion, but chomping up and down on pellets is much easier for a dental rabbit. I've had 25 years experience of dental buns :roll:

What about wood shavings? Pets at Home usually keep their rabbits on wood shavings and this can cause awful respiratory issues:

http://www.rabbit.org/care/shavings.html

If you're using them now, I would get rid of them. I use just newspaper and hay for litter trays. You could use another suitably non dusty product maybe?

To answer your question about pasturella - even if it is that, a rabbit can cope with is, and it doesn't necessarily pass to a friend/partner, so please don't worry about that!

The vets at pets at home, checked everything. She said everything's okay but i don't know if i trust her judgement now! My usual vets are manor vets. Who have been amazing with my gliders and my other rabbit. I'll be going with him this weekend i think.
He seems a lot better today than he did yesterday!
Also i don't use shavings, i know they did at Pets at home though. I just use fleece matts and back to nature for the litter boxes.

Thanks!

If it's the Manor Vets I am thinking of you'll be in good hands there :)

yeah, they're really good.
I originally used them because its the only exotics in my area.
But my little girl went in the other the day cause she had a cut on her belly and they glued her up and sorted her out with meds that wouldn't bother her stomach too bad. They are really good there.
In comparison to how i felt about the lady that checked over my new boy.

yeah, they're really good.
I originally used them because its the only exotics in my area.
But my little girl went in the other the day cause she had a cut on her belly and they glued her up and sorted her out with meds that wouldn't bother her stomach too bad. They are really good there.
In comparison to how i felt about the lady that checked over my new boy.

Ah Manor Vets - excellent :thumb:

Back