• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Love at first sight...

Pendragon

Warren Scout
Some of you may remember me waxing lyrical about how much I have always loved Belgian Hares, and how one day I plan to have one again.

Well at the recent London Championship Show, I had a look at the Hares there, and felt inexplicably drawn to a young doe sitting in her pen. I returned many times to see her again, even bringing my friends to see her, saying: "I want to take her home with me!" but there was no sign of the owner, and no way of finding out who owned her, never mind if he or she would be willing to let me kidnap her!

Finally, late on the last day, her owner appeared.... a very nice young lad in his late teens. He pointed out a very beautiful and majestic looking adult Hare in a nearby pen, with deep rich red colouring and introduced him as her father, Llewellyn. In the pen above her sat her litter sister - beautiful too. We talked about Hares for a while and I told him of the ones I used to own years ago. And eventually I plucked up enough courage, my heart hammering, to ask: Would you consider selling her?

He thought about it for a while before saying he would rather let me have her sister, but no.... the attraction wasn't there. I felt so drawn to the little one I'd somehow fallen for; her sister just didn't have the same aura about her. He thought some more, and then said Yes.

I wanted to hug him! It felt just like the time when I was 13 and just acquired my first Belgian Hare... the rabbit I'd wanted for so long. I had a few things to sort out, so I told him I would come back later, and he could think about it and make sure he really did want to let her go... I wouldn't feel offended if he changed his mind. I just wanted to be certain that the sense of fate I'd felt when I first saw her, was panning out the right way.

In the meantime I had to borrow some money from a friend to buy another travelling carrier, and arrange for a friend to take her home for me, as I was going home by train with several large bags (filled with free samples from Oxbow, West Wales Willows and others, plus a whole plethora of new bunny toys, and a Willows hay ball which I had won in their prize draw!) and my own rabbit Ember, who was in the show. I knew there was no way I could manage to carry any more.

He hadn't changed his mind... far from it. He gave me a bag of her food, and the West Wales Willow chewsticks that she'd been nibbling in her pen. I could tell that he was a caring person, and trusted me to care for her. I kissed her goodbye and put her in her new box, and she was taken home by my friend.

How I slept that night when I got home, I don't know! I couldn't wait to collect her yesterday, and sat up talking to her in the living room until 2am last night! She has borrowed Floyd's large indoor rabbit cage, but has the run of the lounge at the moment, as I would like to get her used to coming indoors, and of course bond to me. Hares need a lot of exercise, and my long hallway will make a perfect runway when she's older... and last night she relaxed enough to binky around me while I sat on the living room floor just gazing at her in awe.

Her breeder, Sam, told me that in his scheme of naming his rabbits, she should have an "L" name, but I've thought of all kinds and nothing seems to fit. I may give her a "posh" name, and call her something else at home... I particularly like the name Lakshmi, the Hindu goddess of beauty, pleasure & wealth. But so far I have been telling her she is "Henna the Hare" as her colour is such an amazing deep red.

Well I have rambled long enough.... no doubt you are dying to see her, so hare she is!

hare_front_sit.jpg

hare_sit_left.jpg

.....are you so very surprised that I'm in love?? :D

Oh Sue I am green with envy, it has been a dream of mine for some years to have a Belgiam Hare, they are just exquisite.
You must be such a proud Henna Hare Mummy and this is one tail (tale) to truly warm the cockles of ones heart....I wish you both a lovely life together :D :D

And please post us regular updates and some more beautiful pictures :D

A very beautiful and very regal bunny. However, isn't it strange how everyone's tastes differ because the ones I fall for are the mutts of the rabbit world.

I don't think its necessarily to do with a particular breeds, sometimes there is just that magic something about a bun that makes you fall in love.

Tamsin said:
I don't think its necessarily to do with a particular breeds, sometimes there is just that magic something about a bun that makes you fall in love.

Yes Tamsin I totally agree, and I see that magic something in EVERY bunny, probably why I have ended up with a Sanctuary full!! :lol: :lol:

Sue, I wondered whether Belgiam Hares have any breed specific care requirements....I am thinking about having one in the Sanctuary at a later date and am pondering where best to keep one.
I would be concerned that ramps in hutches may not be ideal for example as the Belgiam Hare has such long and spindly legs.
Do they have any special dietary needs?.
Do they tend to be easy to handle, as some bunnies are more cuddly than others :lol:
Please can you advise? Thank you :D

sigh :love:

This is another breed I have seen pics of and would love to own. Sadly we don`t have them here either. :cry:

But what a darlijg she is :!:

bronie

Isn`t it amazing how a bond can be made on first site :!:

I hope your bonding is going well.

Its the ears again that attract me to this breed :wink: , well, also the sleek shape they have. :love:

How old is she?

bronie

Adele said:
Sue, I wondered whether Belgian Hares have any breed specific care requirements....

No - no special requirements apart from a tall hutch or cage for an adult: 2ft/61cm high, and as large as posible.... I will be building her a 6ft hutch for outside.

I would be concerned that ramps in hutches may not be ideal for example as the Belgiam Hare has such long and spindly legs.

That depends on the individual Hare and its lineage... Henna is one of the less fine-boned ones (yes, there are Hares with thinner legs than hers.... although she she is a baby and hasn't yet achieved her full bone... she will end up stronger in leg).

Hares don't come into rescue much, and if you did find a rescue, you'd have no choice..... but if you do choose, go for one from imported lines (especially Black & Tan) as these are larger and more heavily built, or chat to the breeder as some are born in every litter with sturdier legs, too strong in bone for show.

Back when I had Hares before, people didn't keep rabbits in ramped hutches, but the Hare breeders of old would often put "jumping boards" across their hutches widthwise, to give them exercise and encourage them to adopt a tall posture.

So far, Henna can cope quite well with jumping off the sofa! I'll keep you updated.

Do they have any special dietary needs?

No... at her breeder's she was fed a mix of predominately crushed oats mixed with a few pellets, plus hay of course, and I am sure she has had greens because she knew what a dandelion leaf was this afternoon, and ate it with great relish! I'm intending to change her over to Burgess which all my rabbits get, although having such a slender frame, she may find this too fattening.... in which case I'll water it down with some oats, or try a pellet with more fibre.

I'm sure that plenty of calcium and sunshine will help to develop the beautiful bone structure to its best.

The Hares I had before were all fed the same as my other rabbits. They aren't a Giant breed - 8-9 pounds/3.62-4.08kg - just tall and long, so they don't need masses of food.... in fact I would say they could easily become overweight if wrongly fed.

Do they tend to be easy to handle, as some bunnies are more cuddly than others?

They are probably a look-but-don't-touch breed more than some others as they are rather long and wriggly for cuddles! Although she sat beside me on the floor last night and loved nose rubs and ear massages... it didn't take long to get a tooth-purr and it was loud!.

She is young and shy and wriggly at the moment - it's going to take some time to get her used to handling, especially as I am not used to such looooong bunnies and she has a tendency to struggle... I have some very interesting scratches on my chest & shoulders!

But she will learn to trust me and feel secure, and I will learn how she prefers to be carried when necessary. The coat is also very short, meaning her nails are more prominent than in some other breeds! (But beautiful... I love rabbits' feet particularly the front ones, and she has delightful slender tan feet with contrasting black nails and buff footpad-fur).

I will post updates on her..... she is only 12 weeks at the moment, so it will be lovely to watch her grow!

Here's another pic I didn't post a link to earlier:

hare_front_3.jpg

Sue, she is stunning, you must be over the moon, isn't it wonderful when it all comes together like that.

Yvonne

Thanks Yvonne, she is sooo beautiful.... and yes, it all seemed to fit: I had to turn down the offer of a lovely-natured adult Black & Tan hare doe a few weeks ago, because my hutches are long enough but not tall enough!

I did feel gutted, but everything fell into place when I saw this little one... it suddenly dawned on me that being a baby, she would be fine in one of my big hutches for now, & I would have time to build her a taller, longer home of her own. But as you know, she's ended up in the living room...

You may have seen Henna's dad Llewellyn before, as he is Sam Keir's lovely Hare who was Best Fancy at Bromyard Gala on the first day and Best In Show on the second. I had no idea of this when I first saw her.

I also tend to see something lovely in almost every rabbit I meet.... in the past I ended up with quite a varied lot of bunnies because I find them all so beautiful... it takes nerves of steel and self discipline to go to shows or pet shops! But by working out what I love the best about rabbits, and finding a breed or type with the right looks or character, stops me from being too impulsive, so I have my Tri-colour Dutch for their character and prettiness (and quirky personalities) because I appreciate personality above all.... and just the one Henna... my Hare About The House... I hope.

Hi Sue, your new bunny is just too gorgeous, how do you get any work done. I would just sit and drool all day long :oops: :lol: . Most of my bunnies have just 'spoken to me' too, it's as if they are just somehow meant to be here, strange isn't it !!
Enjoy :D .

Well I have been drooling a lot this week! I've been sitting with her on the living room floor for hours, reading (a very thick book about the Chinese Cultural Revolution) and talking to her.

She's still young and shy, but starting to bond with me... she will run across the room to see me but stop halfway... and when I picked her up this morning she didn't struggle at all; in fact I could almost have turned her over in my arms (but won't try that yet).

Now I have got her hooked on tiny pieces of cream cracker it'll be a doddle *grin*... bribery is always so useful!

Back