• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit on Gumtree

orangediva

Mama Doe
As some of you know, I recently lost two of my rabbits and have introduced my remaining two, Dennis and Bella, to each other seemingly very successfully. I have been thinking that I'll likely take on another pair of buns when it warms up a bit. Anyway tonight something made me look at Gumtree which I don't usually do - there is a rabbit on there that breaks my heart, he's being advertised as free to a good home which scares me and is pictured in a tiny (looks about 80cm if that) indoor cage. No other info, the picture isn't clear but I've left a message to say I could collect him tomorrow if he's still available. I'm scared he's already gone, wish I'd seen it sooner. He won't be neutered or vaccinated but I could do that and eventually get him a partner. I could give him a good life I think. Am I mad? I was thinking I'd like another Dutch pair but this little guy looks so sad, I can't stop thinking about him.

Gumtree is like a horror show, so many unwanted pets 😟

I've done this on two occasions and now have my lovely Buffy and Dottie. I still look now and see others, so I don't think you are mad. I hope you hear back x

As some of you know, I recently lost two of my rabbits and have introduced my remaining two, Dennis and Bella, to each other seemingly very successfully. I have been thinking that I'll likely take on another pair of buns when it warms up a bit. Anyway tonight something made me look at Gumtree which I don't usually do - there is a rabbit on there that breaks my heart, he's being advertised as free to a good home which scares me and is pictured in a tiny (looks about 80cm if that) indoor cage. No other info, the picture isn't clear but I've left a message to say I could collect him tomorrow if he's still available. I'm scared he's already gone, wish I'd seen it sooner. He won't be neutered or vaccinated but I could do that and eventually get him a partner. I could give him a good life I think. Am I mad? I was thinking I'd like another Dutch pair but this little guy looks so sad, I can't stop thinking about him.

Gumtree is like a horror show, so many unwanted pets 😟

A wonderful thought :)

I got an unwanted 'free' rabbit off preloved. I dread to think where he may have ended up otherwise.

If it's meant to be, I'm sure you'll get him :D

I can't look anymore. A couple of my friends used to tag me in things on Facebook when they saw a rabbit needing a new home too, even though there was definitely no room at the inn here. It breaks my heart there's so many.

I don't think you are mad! I think if you have a strong gut feeling to get him then it is the right decision. He could always have a dutch wife bun at some point in the future :) I hope it works out for you and him xxx

Thank you for the encouragement. I'm just home from work and, sadly, have heard nothing - I've been checking my phone every few minutes but am starting to think I'm too late, the ad was placed several days ago. Can't bear to think of what might have happened to him and, now I've opened Pandora's box, all the other free or "£5 to ensure a good home/the kids have lost interest" bunnies on there, it's horrendous. I could no more advertise an animal member of my family on there than set them free in a park.
I'll keep hoping I can get him - if not I have a feeling it won't be long before i have another bunny or two here.

I would ring again.
Yes I would ring again too. If he has gone and you ring again they are more likely to call you back to let you know.

I don't look at it breaks my heart but what you are doing is lovely. If I had space I would probably look there too. I saw that tiny baby rabbit on facebook called Wheelz who thousands fell in love with. He only had two front legs and had wheels at the back. Initially you think the owners are nice as he was lick them all the time and so loveable, but it turns out they had a farm for rabbit meat and vets said they would help Wheelz but they didn't take him and he died a few days later as they couldn't care less about him. I don't advise you google it.

Nothing, I'm afraid. I emailed again and tried phoning but no reply :cry:

I need to stop looking but I have this weird feeling the rabbit for me is on there. I have felt quite down since losing Betty (though seeing Dennis and Bella snuggled together does help a bit) so I don't entirely trust my "intuition". I just can't seem to stop thinking about bunnies suffering and not being looked after properly. Looking on these sites is so upsetting.

I'm looking at adopting a rabbit. So that my house rabbit has some company when I'm out at work

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'm looking at adopting a rabbit. So that my house rabbit has some company when I'm out at work

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Welcome to RU
Rather than look for a friend on Gumtree or Preloved, have a look at your local rabbit rescue. They are usually bursting at the seams with buns, usually neutered and vaccinated, they will often help and advise with the bonding.
If you are not sure where your nearest rescue is, start a topic with the heading "Rabbit rescue near ******* required"

Good luck

Welcome to RU
Rather than look for a friend on Gumtree or Preloved, have a look at your local rabbit rescue. They are usually bursting at the seams with buns, usually neutered and vaccinated, they will often help and advise with the bonding.
If you are not sure where your nearest rescue is, start a topic with the heading "Rabbit rescue near ******* required"

Good luck

:thumb: also, there are rescue rabbits listed on the rabbit rehome website, along with rabbits being advertised for homing by private individuals, and you can also find your local rabbitrescues listed there too :thumb:

Nothing, I'm afraid. I emailed again and tried phoning but no reply :cry:

I need to stop looking but I have this weird feeling the rabbit for me is on there. I have felt quite down since losing Betty (though seeing Dennis and Bella snuggled together does help a bit) so I don't entirely trust my "intuition". I just can't seem to stop thinking about bunnies suffering and not being looked after properly. Looking on these sites is so upsetting.

Aw that's a shame you haven't heard back. I've had similar experiences, the waiting is so frustrating. If it doesn't work out then im sure the perfect bun/s will be out there. I'm not sure if you said but have you tried a local rescue? Often the ones on selling sites aren't neutered so that can be added stress for you to have to go through x

Aw that's a shame you haven't heard back. I've had similar experiences, the waiting is so frustrating. If it doesn't work out then im sure the perfect bun/s will be out there. I'm not sure if you said but have you tried a local rescue? Often the ones on selling sites aren't neutered so that can be added stress for you to have to go through x

I never, ever (up til now :?) look on these sites as it really can be upsetting but something - a funny feeling - made me do it the other day and, when I saw him, I thought to myself HE was the reason why I'd looked in the first place and it was "meant to be". Stupid, I know, but I've been feeling weird since I lost Betty. I will definitely try a rescue when I'm ready - as you say they are already neutered and usually already bonded - another stress taken away.

I never, ever (up til now :?) look on these sites as it really can be upsetting but something - a funny feeling - made me do it the other day and, when I saw him, I thought to myself HE was the reason why I'd looked in the first place and it was "meant to be". Stupid, I know, but I've been feeling weird since I lost Betty. I will definitely try a rescue when I'm ready - as you say they are already neutered and usually already bonded - another stress taken away.

You tried your best to get him as it felt right for you.

I've had it happen that someone rang me a few weeks later because they still had the rabbit and asked if I was still keen. You never know.

Hugs to you for caring x

Have you checked the Spam box on your email?

When I rehomed Princess - it was off Gumtree. I had never looked at it before (and probably never will again) but there she was - perfect little angel. I replied to the post, but didn't hear anything back - after 5 days I thought that was that until I checked my Spam inbox and the owner had replied...!

Back