• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When can you move indoor rabbits outdoors??

moi

Mama Doe
When I say indoor, mine live in the outhouse attacthed to my house so its not warm in there like the house as I keep the heating off. I would like to move them outside in a secure shed xx

I would see what the difference in temperature is from your outhouse to the shed. I can't imagine it being that much different and take it from there. The weather is lot warmer now so you probably do it soon. If it drops down again I would then check the temperatures of both housings.

Agree with cpayne but just to add that it is the overnight temperatures that are most likely to vary the most.

Agree with cpayne but just to add that it is the overnight temperatures that are most likely to vary the most.
Yes I agree, I would see what it's like before you go to bed! During the day shouldn't be a concern now.

Yeah Ill check the nighttime temperatures. at the moment the shed is warmer than the outhouse xx

The temperature's usually coldest at this time of year at around 6am (always coldest just before sunrise, frontal systems notwithstanding :roll:): if you're up and about then, I'd do it then! Don't forget thermometers, even digital ones, take a good 5mins to adjust :thumb:

As others have said it's still pretty cold especially at night. If you're not already doing so, can you put them outside for a bit in the day to get them a bit more used to it? My house is always very warm but my bunnies really enjoy playing outside, I leave the door open a tiny bit so they can always come in when they want but they usually choose to stay out so I just call them in when it starts to get a bit darker and colder. Living outside is definitely different though, when I let them out for a few hours they spend almost all of it running around so that will keep them warm, but I think they'd get very cold in a hutch at night

I moved mine yesterday. We are having very warm weather for this time of year. Some lows are in the 30's but we're getting mostly 40's overnight, 60-70 in the daytime. If it gets really cold, I'll bring them back in. The set up in the basement is a unheated room and I always keep the door window open an inch or so plus I take them into the yard everyday, no matter how cold it gets - they're very used to cold temps. But Leroy is still eyeing up the steps back into the basement :)

As others have said it's still pretty cold especially at night. If you're not already doing so, can you put them outside for a bit in the day to get them a bit more used to it? My house is always very warm but my bunnies really enjoy playing outside, I leave the door open a tiny bit so they can always come in when they want but they usually choose to stay out so I just call them in when it starts to get a bit darker and colder. Living outside is definitely different though, when I let them out for a few hours they spend almost all of it running around so that will keep them warm, but I think they'd get very cold in a hutch at night

Yeah they have started going out now the weather is milder, and as they have no heating in the outside its already quite cool. the temperature at night is the big difference so gonna wait a little bit xx

I moved mine yesterday. We are having very warm weather for this time of year. Some lows are in the 30's but we're getting mostly 40's overnight, 60-70 in the daytime. If it gets really cold, I'll bring them back in. The set up in the basement is a unheated room and I always keep the door window open an inch or so plus I take them into the yard everyday, no matter how cold it gets - they're very used to cold temps. But Leroy is still eyeing up the steps back into the basement :)

I am looking forward to seeing how they get on outside :)

So far, so good. Leroy is not totally happy with his new set up. But he gets out for several hours to run the yard everyday (plus my attention) while I'm out with the dog/cleaning, etc. The new girl is used to being in a hutch so nothing new there. I attached a pen to her hutch and she figured out today that she can jump down into the pen on her own and binky around. Forecast calls for a few cold nights this week, hovering around 30 degrees. Their new hutch is an Amish-build and is quite sturdy with a snug nesting area. They should be fine.

I want to move 4 of my indoor bunnies (currently in the spare room) outdoors (more space and they can cause as much havoc there as they like :lol: ). I'm waiting until April and the temperature evens out a little. I think it's still too cold and damp at the moment, particularly at night.

At the moment where I am it is 5 degrees colder in the shed than the outside, I guess its different if they are in a warm house though xx

Back