• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post op meds?!

Gf91

New Kit
I've just picked my boy up from the vets after being castrated. The vet he was done at isn't my normal vets- but as he is a rescue I was ditacted to as to where I could take him. But they've sent him home without any meds? All they said to me was the usual, "check the wound twice a day" & that he hadn't eaten much & tried to charge me £8.50 for a sachet of recovery! I already had a sachet from when my doe was done that my vet gave me for free so if I don't see him eat by tomorrow morning then I'll give it to him. After my doe was done, she was sent home with a bottle of meloxicam 1.5mg/ml pain meds once daily & baytril 2.5% 3 x per day to keep things moving and give her an appetite. I still have some left over & the nurse in me (qualified RGN) is saying to start him on the meds tomorrow? But at what dose? He weighs 2.1kg.
The vets where he was done didn't feel my with confidence. When I picked him up the vet said to me I'm very lucky that I'm coming back to get him as a lot of rabbits don't make it & their personally always surprised when they come round... brilliant!

I've just picked my boy up from the vets after being castrated. The vet he was done at isn't my normal vets- but as he is a rescue I was ditacted to as to where I could take him. But they've sent him home without any meds? All they said to me was the usual, "check the wound twice a day" & that he hadn't eaten much & tried to charge me £8.50 for a sachet of recovery! I already had a sachet from when my doe was done that my vet gave me for free so if I don't see him eat by tomorrow morning then I'll give it to him. After my doe was done, she was sent home with a bottle of meloxicam 1.5mg/ml pain meds once daily & baytril 2.5% 3 x per day to keep things moving and give her an appetite. I still have some left over & the nurse in me (qualified RGN) is saying to start him on the meds tomorrow? But at what dose? He weighs 2.1kg.
The vets where he was done didn't feel my with confidence. When I picked him up the vet said to me I'm very lucky that I'm coming back to get him as a lot of rabbits don't make it & their personally always surprised when they come round... brilliant!

My god................ :censored:

Whilst a straight forward castration is less invasive than a spay it can still cause some discomfort for a couple of days. Some Rabbits will swell up/bruise more than others. So Meloxicam (Metacam/Loxicom etc) is usually prescribed for a few days not only for it's analgesic properties but also for it's anti inflammatory properties (it's a NSAID).

There is a dose range reference for Meloxicam here

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Meloxicam.htm

I am not qualified to advise you to give a POM. You'd need to know what he was given post op, at what time and how much before giving another dose. So really you would need to contact the Vet again. Although given what you have posted about said Vet I can understand how that prospect may not be too appealing............

I hope Bunny makes a good recovery and that you do not have to go back to that particular Vet again x

I can see why this vet doesn't inspire you with a lot of confidence! :shock:

Thank goodness it isn't your normal vet.

My vet doesn't routinely give meds to take home after a buck castrate. It's often straight forward, but if you notice any swelling, then it's wise to either take him in or at least ring up.

We aren't really qualified on here to give you dosages particular to your rabbit,, as there's quite a range within the norm. Your vet will know the best dosage - and perhaps ring your usual vet instead of the vet who castrated him??

My god................ :censored:

Whilst a straight forward castration is less invasive than a spay it can still cause some discomfort for a couple of days. Some Rabbits will swell up/bruise more than others. So Meloxicam (Metacam/Loxicom etc) is usually prescribed for a few days not only for it's analgesic properties but also for it's anti inflammatory properties (it's a NSAID).

There is a dose range reference for Meloxicam here

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Meloxicam.htm

I am not qualified to advise you to give a POM. You'd need to know what he was given post op, at what time and how much before giving another dose. So really you would need to contact the Vet again. Although given what you have posted about said Vet I can understand how that prospect may not be too appealing............

I hope Bunny makes a good recovery and that you do not have to go back to that particular Vet again x

I can see why this vet doesn't inspire you with a lot of confidence! :shock:

Thank goodness it isn't your normal vet.

My vet doesn't routinely give meds to take home after a buck castrate. It's often straight forward, but if you notice any swelling, then it's wise to either take him in or at least ring up.

We aren't really qualified on here to give you dosages particular to your rabbit,, as there's quite a range within the norm. Your vet will know the best dosage - and perhaps ring your usual vet instead of the vet who castrated him??

Thanks for your advice. He's giving himself a real hard time this evening grooming and biting himself. He still hasn't eaten!l, so I've put a dusting of clean straw in for comfort and so he can nibble. Not sure whether to give him the recovery tonight or in the morning?
I'm going to call my vets tomorrow & take him in I think. He's obviously uncomfortable (can't blame him really) and I'd rather get him double checked. I'm meant to take him back on Thursday for a post op check. Think I'm going to cancel it & just take him into my vets. He's meant to be going back on the 6th for his jabs- going to speak to my vet about it to see if they can speak to the rescue & get permission to do it. I don't fancy taking him back.
It didn't help that when I got there this morning & opened the box the vet squealed & near on screamed "oh my god he's chinchilla furred- he's so soft!" Poor rabbit nearly had a heart attack!

Thanks for your advice. He's giving himself a real hard time this evening grooming and biting himself. He still hasn't eaten!l, so I've put a dusting of clean straw in for comfort and so he can nibble. Not sure whether to give him the recovery tonight or in the morning?
I'm going to call my vets tomorrow & take him in I think. He's obviously uncomfortable (can't blame him really) and I'd rather get him double checked. I'm meant to take him back on Thursday for a post op check. Think I'm going to cancel it & just take him into my vets. He's meant to be going back on the 6th for his jabs- going to speak to my vet about it to see if they can speak to the rescue & get permission to do it. I don't fancy taking him back.
It didn't help that when I got there this morning & opened the box the vet squealed & near on screamed "oh my god he's chinchilla furred- he's so soft!" Poor rabbit nearly had a heart attack!

If you feel you can afford it, I would go to your normal vet.

I've had this issue before - it's just not worth it going to someone you feel you can't really trust. Well I wouldn't anyway :)

I'm fortunate the money isn't an issue- I would've liked to Of taken him to my own vets but felt backed into a corner from the rescue. Stupid really. I'm going to give him the recovery now & try to get him appointment at my own vets in the morning.
Just goes to show the difference in vets. My doe came home with a big information pack, meds, phoned me first thing the next morning to see how she was... this vets.. nothing really. Just a "we'll see you in 3 days"

Back